_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
nashorn so expensive?
youpey
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 528 posts
Armorama: 468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 01:41 AM UTC
i was browsing some models because my birthday is coming up. i dont know really anything about the differences in armors other than there are tanks, tank destroyers, etc.

i mostly try to buy/build armor that looks cool to me, over historical significance etc.

onto my question, i really like the look of tank destroyers, like the m18 and the marder III ausf M, so when i came across the Tamiya Nashorn, i was in my glory as to how it looked.

However, i found the price to be almost twice higher than marder III ausf M from tamiya. they are both the same scale, 1/35, but one was like 40 dollars and the other was 70. my question is why is it so much more. is it significantly larger? if that is correct? is it typical that a bigger model would make such a huge difference in price.

i still will probably get it for my birthday because i love the way it looks, but i am very curious as to why such a big price difference

sorry for the silly question
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 01:48 AM UTC
I may be mistaken but I believe that kit comes with a metal barrel and perhaps PE.
goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 02:16 AM UTC
Price could also depend on the age of the kit . Tamiya have lots of kits in the $25 - $40 range but they were all released back in 70s - 90s , Tamiya tends to keep older stuff in production . IRC the Nashorn is fairly new ( 2018 ? ) with the 3d scanned crew figures , that explain the price difference
youpey
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 02:17 AM UTC
interestingly, tamiya's site has the information on the length of the model.

the marder 3 is about 6 inches long and the nashorn is 9 inches long, so it is quite a bit bigger.

that makes me want it even more. i dont know where i would display a model so big, but i think that is the model i will get for my birthday
Grindcore
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 02:51 AM UTC
Check Amazon, I got one for $51 Prime a few months ago.

Also, check out Andy's Hobbies on You Tube. He built one up, looks awesome.
https://youtu.be/gI7CBkbXB4M
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 03:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah, good price, but how much was the combined price with shipping? Many times I see interesting prices but totally ridiculous shipping charges.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 03:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

sorry for the silly question

Still new, please bear with me

No silly questions. I've been pondering similar questions for decades.

Cost-of-models questions appear time to time but they are continue to be interesting to read.

I will offer something to consider although it probably is not applicable to giants like Tamiya.

At the IPMS 2019 show last August, I sat in on the presentation by the President of Zoukei-Mura. Fine speaker and very entertaining. He did mention the cost of his kits. He is retired and said he is funding Zoukei-Mura with his retirement; he said, "For those of you who think our models are too expensive, we sell every one of them at a loss."

Years go on Steel Navy a model maker was defending the price of his new kit: 20 sprues; tooling cost $20,000/sprue; how many did marketing estimate they would sell; amortization and other business things I don't understand.

At MasterCon about 20 years ago, the Tamiya USA rep said USA & Europe are only about
Grindcore
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 03:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yeah, good price, but how much was the combined price with shipping? Many times I see interesting prices but totally ridiculous shipping charges.

$51 + tax, so like $54, delivered in 2-3 days.
Removed by original poster on 04/14/20 - 16:09:45 (GMT).
youpey
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Also, check out Andy's Hobbies on You Tube. He built one up, looks awesome.
https://youtu.be/gI7CBkbXB4M

Amazon does have a vendor selling it for 52 dollars but it's not from Amazon. it's a foreign 3rd party seller and it says its 1 month before it would arrive. honestly, I dont mind paying 20 dollars more to support a lhs in my state over one in another country. I have seen 3 hobby stores close down completely in my area over the last 10 years or so, and who knows what will come with the current condition.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 05:55 AM UTC
Tamiya Nashorn kit #35335 released 2014.

A review of the kit by a guy that almost reminds me a bit of Vincent Price, if Vincent Price built models.

https://youtu.be/5X-vrkb0n3k?t=285

Tamiya kits have been, historically, more expensive than other manufacturers especially Dragon. But they were usually better quality kits.

If you go to scalemates.com and search for Nashorn you can see more reviews and some aftermarket goodies for the kit.

Grindcore
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 05:59 AM UTC
Scalehobbyist has it for $70 shipped thereabout.
https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Military_Vehicles/nashorn-heavy-tank-destroyer/TAM00035335/product.php?pg=1&ppp=48&sb=stocknumber&so=a&kw=nashorn&man=TAM
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 06:23 AM UTC
You have to remember the Marder III has been out almost twenty years now. It's also a lot smaller. The Nashorn has a lot more parts so therefore more expensive tooling. It also has some metal elements for the gun elevation. It's in the same price range as some smaller Takom or Miniart kits, so I wouldn't say it's overpriced.
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 06:59 AM UTC
We need more Nashorns/Marders/Hummels,I think there is enough Panthers and Tigers at the moment.
babaoriley
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 179 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 09:28 AM UTC
Older kits usually have fewer parts, and lack features like PE sheets or metal barrels and so on, so they cost less to produce. Their design and tooling costs were also paid off long ago, and demand for them has probably dropped off in favor of newer and more detailed kits. So it makes sense a kit designed thirty or forty years ago would be less expensive.

Still, the price of some new kits makes me gulp. I'll often wait, and shop around until I find a less expensive source rather than pay the price of a new, high-profile kit everyone is after.

Or I go to the local IPMS show, buy a bunch of raffle tickets, and win more kits than I'll ever have time to build, that works too. Hopefully such events will return while I'm still able to navigate under my own power.
dwnrng44
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 - 06:21 AM UTC
Interestingly, the Tamiya Nashorn released in 2014 has a MSRP of $87.00. The Tamiya Hummel, released in 2019 has a MSRP of $64.00. These kits are basically the same for comparison and include figures and even with new tooled parts the Hummel is cheaper. Similar story with the Tamiya M-51 Sherman. Released in 2012, it has a MSRP of 71.00. The M4A3E8 from 2018 is $54.00 MSRP. Again basically the same vehicle with new tooled parts.The economic conditions at the time of release usually dictate price.But for better or worse,the release MSRP seems to stick around through time also.When the kit you want is from a high cycle, you have to be more patient and wait for a sale or a deal at a show.
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 - 08:23 AM UTC

Dragon makes a Nashorn also. Any thoughts about that kit?
youpey
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 - 08:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Interestingly, the Tamiya Nashorn released in 2014 has a MSRP of $87.00. The Tamiya Hummel, released in 2019 has a MSRP of $64.00. These kits are basically the same for comparison and include figures and even with new tooled parts the Hummel is cheaper. Similar story with the Tamiya M-51 Sherman. Released in 2012, it has a MSRP of 71.00. The M4A3E8 from 2018 is $54.00 MSRP. Again basically the same vehicle with new tooled parts.The economic conditions at the time of release usually dictate price.But for better or worse,the release MSRP seems to stick around through time also.When the kit you want is from a high cycle, you have to be more patient and wait for a sale or a deal at a show.

thank you so much for pointing that out. i hadnt realized it was basically the same. i like the gun better on the nashorn, but not 20 dollars better

brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 - 08:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dragon makes a Nashorn also. Any thoughts about that kit?

Don't buy the first release as it has issues. Get one of the more recent releases, like the 3-in-1 kit. Look on ebay for better pricing as well.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 - 10:47 AM UTC
This may be of interest:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/5313
Unfortunately there are no figures included, but these by Tristar are excellent:
http://www.internetmodeler.com/2006/january/figures/tristar_007_build.php

youpey
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 - 11:56 AM UTC
i dont know why, but i always find tamiya to be the best for me. i have built afv club kits and others, but i always find the tamiya instructions and fit to be the best, even if they arent the most historically accurate.

if i get stuck on something or have a rough time with a kit, i typically put it away and it never gets finished. that rarely happens to me with tamiya kits
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 - 12:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

i dont know why, but i always find tamiya to be the best for me. i have built afv club kits and others, but i always find the tamiya instructions and fit to be the best, even if they arent the most historically accurate.

if i get stuck on something or have a rough time with a kit, i typically put it away and it never gets finished. that rarely happens to me with tamiya kits

I know exactly what you mean. I've just been thumbing through the Tamiya list thinking about what to do next. I kind of need a relaxing build.
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 - 12:25 PM UTC
Regardless of make or even scale. The Nashorn kits have high count parts and large pieces which translate to a higher production and sales price. I ONLY really order from HobbyEasy. Daniels price on the Tamiya kit is 40 and 45 for the Dragon 4in1 kit. Even after shipping its affordable. I just ordered the Miniart SLA T54APC with interior for 44bucks; maybebit will be here in June HA! I hope everyone is well and getting in a bunch of bench time....

Chris
nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 265 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 - 12:30 PM UTC
In the UK the price is roughly the same. Wonderland have the Nashorn @ £54 and the Hummel @ £49. I suspect that the stock levels of Nashorn is less than Hummel,as it is now sometime since they did a production run, and therefore it is becoming rarer to find in the USA.

I am also baffled at the relative price of Tamiya and Dragon. In the UK Tamiya is much less expensive than Dragon, sometimes to the extent of being half the price.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 - 01:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...I hope everyone is well and getting in a bunch of bench time....

Chris

Nope. Essential worker here.
 _GOTOTOP