Hosted by Darren Baker
scale furniture
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 11:19 PM UTC
Does anyone have patterns for 1/35th scale furniture? I am looking for chairs and tables that could be used in a cafe setting. The most difficult being chairs that look uniformed and that would be simple to scratch build.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 11:25 PM UTC
Here is my first thought -
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/70
You could easily do something like these in styrene strips.

Heres a thread too
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/24257&page=1
jonasaberg
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 66 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:18 AM UTC
I bought a couple of Tamaya German figures that had a guy sitting on a chair. I made copies of that chair in balsa wood. Maybe you could get the figures and the chair as reference? I think it was two figures, one sitting down and there was a sausage and some bread there too...That´s all I remember
geronimo
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 136 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:49 AM UTC
Paul,

I don't know the time period when steel tube furniture was invented (like it looks today), but for an ordinary french café I'd keep things simple and -as the original- cheap.
You might want to watch out for posters ("51" or "RICARD" (pastis liqueur), CAMPARI, etc.) - it doesn't have to be 40s stuff, anything up to that time will work fine; maybe some German propaganda stuff (french text !!), the typical french sign for "tabac", as cigarettes are often sold in cafés in France (would also make a nice little shop on its own), french movie posters. And keep it small; 3-4 (round) tables, 2-3 chairs per table. Remember plunderers!
And take a look to the feature "Taxi de la Marne".

CU

Frank
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 02:16 AM UTC
You need an exemple of the furniture, balsa wood, white glue, sharp modeling knife and some patience
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 06:18 PM UTC
i ve found very usefull in lil furniture making sheets of real thin cedar wood that are included in cigars package to protect them. Theyre fragile but ..hey its real wood and looks nice
Check it out , especially the cuban cigars medium price and up have em all

Costas
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 10:13 PM UTC
Bummer, I just quit smoking. Actually, I have some ideas, has anyone tried froming some of the scale wood by soaking it to get a curve. I was thinking of the chair back wrapping it around something and securing it with rubber bands and letting it dry. I perfer to make the furniture out of wood I think it looks better, although plastic would seem easier. I thought I would give it a try...
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 10:20 PM UTC
trying never harmed anyone my friend. If u find some thin wood that could be bented would be nice to make one of these. Check and repost the results
jonasaberg
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 66 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 02:30 AM UTC
Sir
I´ve done that. I actually I did it by mistake when messign around with a cup of water and balsa strips.

Find some balsa wood and sand it really thin. The back of a chair in 1:35 is pretty thin so this will probably work. After you have the right thickness let it soak in hot water for a few minutes. Because the wood is so thin it shouldn´t take that long. Then all you have to do is bend it.

I would make sure that the fibres of the wood are horizontal which should limit potential cracks.
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 02:36 AM UTC
That's what I was thinking, thank you for your confirmation. I will be giving it a try!
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,055 posts
Armorama: 530 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 10:31 AM UTC
Hey, thanks for this...I'm doing my first Europe dio, and this will help. Thanks for your time.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 11:45 AM UTC
I've made some simple wooden chairs just using wooden match sticks and toothpicks (cocktail sticks to you gentlemen in the rest of the English-speaking world). The thin parts, lie the seat and back, can be made with scraps of veneer. Painted furniture can easily be made with plastic stips, rod and sheet.

What size? Scale out a chair in your own home.
 _GOTOTOP