_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Tamiya M3A1 Scout Car - almost done
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 01:18 PM UTC

OR What I learned from my first 1/35 scale kit.

Any feedback is welcome. This is almost done.

First, I don't know whether it's the camera, or my monitor, or what, but everything in these photos have a blue tinge and I don't really know why. At some point I'll get a good camera and a good setup for taking pictures.

I've done a lot of smaller scale stuff but had resisted doing 1/35 scale kits. I don't know what grabbed me about this kit, but I stumbled onto someone building one of these online and just decided I had to have it. It's an awesome kit, and I want to do it again!

There were a few things about it that captured my imagination:
- it has an active crew
- lend lease has been somewhat of an interest and now that we're doing a campaign is becoming even moreso
- tamiya kits have a reputation for being easy to build

I loved the crew figures, but most of them were painted twice. I paint a lot of figures for 28mm wargaming (slightly smaller than 1/48) but the techniques between the two scales need some adjustment. What works well in the smaller scale comes out with a lot of overly garish contrast in this scale. I'm fairly pleased with these, but I'm doing another set of figures and am much more pleased with them. Just a matter of getting the hang of the scale.

It went together really easily and really well. I could have done a better job on the fit for the .50 cal gunner. I did a dry fit but when everything was painted it didn't seem to want to go into the same position. I probably spent 10 hours on the build, maybe 12?

I am imagining this vehicle in the spring of '44 with snow still on the ground but melting and a lot of mud taking over. I intend to put it on a base and will do some more mud/snow weathering to it when I do that. I waited for the longest time for some wilder aqualine products but finally gave up and just used oils. I'd like a little more mud in the tire detail, some hints of snow, and wetter. I'm pleased with it as it is, but there's a bit more work to do. I also don't think the interior is quite messy enough.

A couple of things I really like about 1/35 so far is how much more robust everything is. Just being a slight bit larger than 1/48 everything seems easier to handle. And I'm astonished by the range of subjects available in 1/35. So I plan to do more.

I'll post some more pics when it is finished, finished, but it's close enough I wanted to share.

Regards,
Phil
barnslayer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 01:41 PM UTC
I'm guessing it's your light source causing the color shift. Try retaking the same model (nice work by the way!) but use a different light each time until you get what you want out of it.
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 527 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 07:25 PM UTC
Brilliant camo and mud application! The figures are also very nicely painted, good job mate!

Cheers,

Garry
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 10:50 PM UTC
I seem to recall that digital cameras (or rather the chips they use) blue-shift the picture. I was using Paint Shop Pro to color correct them. See if you have a photo processing program that does the same or use a different light setup as someone else suggested.

You picked a great kit to start 1/35. It's a very recent Tamiya release so fits well. Beware Tamiya kits from the 70s and 80s (SAS Jeep, LRDG Truck, M3 Lee, M3 Grant, M5A1 Stuart, 25-pdr Gun) or you'll find yourself wondering "THIS is Tamiya??".
ttwells
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 316 posts
Armorama: 77 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 10:32 AM UTC
looks great! My pics come out "color shifted" too - usually have to mess with them in a program... which detracts from my actual paint scheme a bit.

I have the same kit and will be doing a Katanga one in the Congo Crisis 1961...
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 11:01 AM UTC
Hey Phil, Nice work! The figures really add a lot to the Scout Car. Are you planning on adding a base?

—mike
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 11:52 AM UTC

I am planning to do that. I have an mdf base. First thing is to figure out how to apply texturing stuff to it without it warping. In the past I would apply a coat of shellac to both sides. Although the hardware store is open, I get sick really easily so going to the hardware store is out in the current environment....
barnslayer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 01:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am planning to do that. I have an mdf base. First thing is to figure out how to apply texturing stuff to it without it warping. In the past I would apply a coat of shellac to both sides. Although the hardware store is open, I get sick really easily so going to the hardware store is out in the current environment....

Paint the whole thing including the sides. Use a scrap of plywood instead if you can. You can add molding to hide the edges.
Glueing the MDF to a second layer of MDF or any other wood will prevent warping too. The thicker the base the more stable it will be.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 01:34 PM UTC
Stay healthy, Phil. ... BTW: I’m really looking forward to ‘Lend Lease!’

—mike
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 10:34 PM UTC
Very nice indeed Phil, the overall look and the dynamism – those guys are making the car go 20mph standing still. I’d agree the interior needs dulling/dirtying down, and I’ll happily stand corrected but not sure the Russkies used 50 cals & 30 cals?

Whatever, it certainly deserves a base – resist the urge to weather the car until you’ve actually made & painted the base, then use those colours & shades for the car’s mud etc. As for the risk of warping you could always just allow for it – in other words let it warp if it wants to & then glue the result to a flat base & cut side panels to cover it.

I assume these are all indoor shots, worth trying it in daylight & hopefully your camera will then record true colours, which may also influence how you paint the base
 _GOTOTOP