_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Use of stencils instead of decals
johnnyD
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 - 06:38 AM UTC
So I've been wondering about what you guys think of the use of stencils to apply markings on your armor? I've been thinking of trying some out, but want to know what the opinion is of the majority on the use of stencils and which company's stencil works best.
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 - 07:08 AM UTC
David,
What vehicles do you wish to stencil? If Allied I can't help, but if you are doing German vehicles, particularly tanks with Zimmerit, I'd recommend hand painting markings. It's more realistic, as this is how it was done on the actual vehicles and although it requires practice and a steady hand, it does away with all the faff of stencils and masking.
ctkwok
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 - 07:22 AM UTC
By stencils I assume you are also considering masks, as actual template type stencils are difficult to secure onto the model. Stencils give more realistic rendering of markings. I use DN Models' masks which are reusable if taken care of.
johnnyD
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 - 07:53 AM UTC
German Armor is what I'm considering using them on. Right now I'm dealing with an Afrika Korps Panzer IV. So no Zimmerit.
OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2,663 posts
Armorama: 2,649 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 - 09:54 AM UTC
You might try the Dry rub on transfers from Archer, Sprue Brothers carries them or right from the sourse.
Hope this helps. www.archertransfers.com
Donald
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 - 10:11 AM UTC

FWIW, I tried using some Alliance Model Works stencils for German numbers. The stencils are really nice, but I couldn't figure out a way to avoid doing them one number at a time. It's fine, if you need one number, but my ability to get the numbers to line up is somewhat lacking. They provide a piece for you to tape down and line the stencils up on, but no matter how I tried, they were always just a little off.

I think there are other brands of stencils that have a way of putting multiple numbers up and doing a single pass.

My wife is getting a scan and cut soon. I think I'll use it to make some stencils of multiple numbers for German turrets, if I can find the right fonts.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 - 10:20 AM UTC
They are great, from my point of view, however I have to admit that I am a bit lazy and decals are much easier. With stencils you have to mask a big area around it, take care not to overpaint so it flow unders the stencil if you have zimmerit or irregular surfaces.

And you may not get the size you need...

But other than that, I would definitively recommend them.

I have used Eduard ones.
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 - 10:27 AM UTC
One important thing to do is only spray from one angle. Otherwise you'll get a "shadow".
Reforger-Victim
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 95 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 - 07:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You might try the Dry rub on transfers from Archer, Sprue Brothers carries them or right from the sourse.
Donald

most archer transfers are no dry transfers, you rub them on a transfer sheet that is added and after it you use them like ordinary decals but the result is much better than ordinary transfers..
johnnyD
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 - 06:04 AM UTC
Thanks guys a lot of good advice. Thanks!
OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2,663 posts
Armorama: 2,649 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 - 07:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Donald

most archer transfers are no dry transfers, you rub them on a transfer sheet that is added and after it you use them like ordinary decals but the result is much better than ordinary transfers..

That is usually an option fot small pieces.
Donald
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 - 02:23 PM UTC
Probably the best idea, already mentioned, is a Silhouette Cameo or Circuit, a machine that will cut masking materials to use as stencils. I actually bought a Silhouette 4-5 months ago, but have yet to open the box. I need to get to it soon, as, in my opinion, painted on numerous/insignias blow decals away!
 _GOTOTOP