_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Tamiya Type 16 JGSDF
Rampenfest
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2020 - 09:28 AM UTC
Hi all,

I recently finished my Tamiya Type 16 in 1/48 scale. I am very happy with how everything turned out. This is a fun kit to build and I feel like I got the hang of mixing my paints correctly for airbrushing finally.

I used Tamiya paints, and Tamiya panel liner to add depth to the crevices. I spruced up the machine gun by drilling cooling vents into the sides of it as well as hollowing out the barrel.Clear coats are Testors gloss/dullcoat.

For the mud, I used pastel chalk and 70% rubbing alcohol. I then took this and mixed it into a paste and then used a long flat brush to "scoop" it. Then I took my airbrush and just sprayed air out of it while holding the brush at angles. I am happy with the way it turned out. I was going for a muddy practice shooting range session with the vehicle.

Always looking to learn more, so please leave your comments/criticisms! Thank you.

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2020 - 09:25 PM UTC
It looks good but to be honest your pictures do not do your model justice.
To create mud effects you also can use an old toothbrush with the same mixture you used. Your result is convincing to me on the wheels rims and the vehicle sides. The tires sides appear too clean in comparison.

Olivier
Rampenfest
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2020 - 12:40 PM UTC
Thank you!

I do see what you mean, the sides of the wheels should have more mud on the sides of the rubber if it was traveling through deep mud.

_GOTOTOP