_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Tamiya: Marder and Panzer IV
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 01:50 AM UTC

Tamiya announces two new 1/35 kits, a Marder I and a PzkpfwIV Ausf. F1

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 03:06 AM UTC
If that Marder is a Tamiya clean sheet design, then this kit could bring me back into WW2 modeling. If not, and it's lip stick on a pig, then I'll have to see who raised the pig!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 03:07 AM UTC
Oh, yum!! That Marder has just restored my long-lost faith in Tamiya!

brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 03:32 AM UTC
Scalemates seems to think it is a brand new tooling and not a rebox of someone's kit.

I thought it might be the Panda Hobby kit from 2016, which I already have. Not worried about the Pz IV F as there are plenty of versions of that available.
Roast
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 04:07 AM UTC
Nice figures, that's for sure
gebra_de
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 05:06 AM UTC
The louvres/engine grill slits have the wrong direction on the Panda kit.
Tamiya did it right. So, I assume this really is a new tooling which would be great to see!

Gert
deathdork
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 296 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 06:00 AM UTC
Wow early Christmas in pandemic times! What a treat!
johhar
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 476 posts
Armorama: 447 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 07:25 AM UTC
The number 35374 suggests a new Tamiya IV, it says it's an F, and the crew looks new and always cool to see the turret populated.
jfeenstra
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 342 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 07:43 AM UTC
Why does everyone always ask if a Tamiya kit is all new when all you need to do is look at the stock number? It has been discussed here and elsewhere many times. Any kit in the "35xxx" range is an all new Tamiya kit. The Marder I shows a number of 35370 on the placard, so it is a brand new Tamiya kit with no connection to other manufacturers.

As an example, the new M47 Patton (which is the Italeri kit) has a number in the 37xxx range - 37028. The Panhard P204(f) (the ICM kit) is 32413. They tend to use the 25xxx series for kits that combine Tamiya kits, or Tamiya kits with other makers kits. The Type 1 SPG combined with Fine Molds Kurogane is 25187.

But Tamiya has never used anything but the 35xxx numbering for kits that are all new, 100% Tamiya releases, as far back as I can remember (and if they have, it's a very unique exception). So just look at the number and you will always know.
Yankasippi
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 08:03 AM UTC
That Marder vehicle has some nice lines. As a kit I think you can get one from Brach. My favorite part of the real vehicle is the drivers compartment which I purchased from Brach over a year ago, to see if I could fit it in a Panda Marder that is apparently not in cast anymore. I got one from E-Bay, and have it all sorted to build soon. I thought it would be this year or late last year but my wife passed away and for months and months didn't want to build anything. Now I am building again, first project was one of the older Dragon SdKfz 10 kits which was a headache and has now been corrected for modeling. Now I am working on refitting and restoring an old Tamiya halftrack to today's standards. After that I am either going to start building an entire Sherman composite from Tiger Model Designs, having spent more than a few months buying parts from, or will do the Brach-Panda Marder. Looking forward to both.

About the new Tamiya kits, many of them have been remastered in order to make it easy for newcomers to make, like when you put your suspension and tracks on, to not glue them in place but to take the whole assembly off and be able to paint them easily. Ive watched a few videos on this newish way of making models but in truth Ive seen older modelers have problems with that, plus having to add filler in places where the fit after building was not great. Im not talking about Tamiya alone. It has been done with Dragon as well.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 09:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Why does everyone always ask if a Tamiya kit is all new when all you need to do is look at the stock number? It has been discussed here and elsewhere many times. Any kit in the "35xxx" range is an all new Tamiya kit. The Marder I shows a number of 35370 on the placard, so it is a brand new Tamiya kit with no connection to other manufacturers.

As an example, the new M47 Patton (which is the Italeri kit) has a number in the 37xxx range - 37028. The Panhard P204(f) (the ICM kit) is 32413. They tend to use the 25xxx series for kits that combine Tamiya kits, or Tamiya kits with other makers kits. The Type 1 SPG combined with Fine Molds Kurogane is 25187.

But Tamiya has never used anything but the 35xxx numbering for kits that are all new, 100% Tamiya releases, as far back as I can remember (and if they have, it's a very unique exception). So just look at the number and you will always know.

The exception:
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-35143-hummer--132576
Italeri inside, Tamiya added the Bushmaster gun

They even had the same sinkmarks on the upper attachment points for the coil spring - shock absorber combo ....
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 10:42 AM UTC
Awesome. I'm getting both. Tamiya's latest figures are, in my opinion, pretty darned good. Nice that they did the Marder. Maybe that means some early war French vehicles based on the Lorraine chassis to follow. Thanks Tamiya!
johhar
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 476 posts
Armorama: 447 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 11:31 AM UTC
I will NEVER build another Panzer IV... until the next one.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2020 - 02:26 AM UTC
I've been waiting for a good Marder I for a very long time; especially in light of the fact that every other variant has been available for years and this will fill the gap. Hope that I don't need a loan to buy one, though.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2020 - 02:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The exception:
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-35143-hummer--132576
Italeri inside, Tamiya added the Bushmaster gun

They even had the same sinkmarks on the upper attachment points for the coil spring - shock absorber combo ....

I wish Tamiya will re-release the roof/gun with their new M1025 kit.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2020 - 05:06 AM UTC
Kind of odd how we got onto Hummers when the announcement was about a Marder I and a Pz IV F-1...
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 02:55 AM UTC
Yes!!! I’m so happy about the Marder I auf Lorraine!! The 21st Panzer division is my favorite subject of WW2 and up until Panda releases their Marder I, we had very limited options that required a ton of scratch building upgrades that were difficult. Now, if we could just get a German Schützenpanzerwagen u304(f) p 107 unic in plastic, id be so happy! The only offering of it is an expensive resin model with some issues, we are living in the golden age of modelling my brothers.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 08:03 AM UTC
I thought I had sworn off buying any new kits until now. Looks like I was very, very wrong on this one, AGAIN.
Remember the old Tamiya figures??? Well, I don't think we'll ever see those lumps of plastic again ! I really like Tamiya's dio in a box ! Thank you Tamiya !!

3 out of 3 beers ! For great looking kits & figures!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 11:15 AM UTC
Any word on when the Marder will be released?
 _GOTOTOP