_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Modern 1/35 scale british soldiers
poacher
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2020 - 11:11 PM UTC
Would anybody know where i can get 1/35 british army soldiers with slr rifels for northern ireland diorama please
Poacher
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2020 - 11:34 PM UTC
Sadly, not a chance - or at least not much of one.

DJ Parkins within his Firing Line range does 1 x figure depicting a Fusilier (though you can always change the head to the unit of your choice or even add a steel helmet with a clear plastic visor if you so wish)

See:

https://www.djparkins.com/home.php?cat=292

Other than that I think that's about it. If you're up to wrestling with Milliput, the excellent Hornet Heads and a weapons set, you might be able to convert other figures such as WW2 ones but as for dedicated Cold War figures for the 70s/80, there's a bit of a dearth.

Brian
poacher
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2020 - 12:15 AM UTC
I am new to this game started when i retired are there any books or web pages that could show me how to convert these soldiers to modern ones
Thankyou
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2020 - 12:29 AM UTC
Thomas,

There may well all sorts of books and websites but you might give this book a go:

Security Forces in Northern Ireland 1969-92 (Elite) - part of Osprey publishing; 'should be fairly easy to come by.

Or, get hold of the Firing Line figure and use that as a model (literally) for adapting other figures, but quite a bit of work. Hornet Heads will give you some very good heads wearing berets and steel helmets; I imagine the big problem will be sculpting the flak jacket. Ammo pouches and water bottles can all be found from accessory sets and modified or made from Milliput. The SLR can be made from the Italeri Modern Light Weapons set, once again available, but I recall needs some mods but I can't quite remember what. The respirator case is a candidate for further Milliput I should think, but if you've cracked the flak jacket by the time you get around to belt equipment it shouldn't be a problem(!)

Good luck.

Brian
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2020 - 12:34 AM UTC
Black Dog makes a set of British Faulklands Soldiers that may be helpful. They would need some new heads and other mods, but could be a good starting point.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2020 - 01:04 AM UTC
Accurate-Armour offer several modern British soldiers.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2020 - 01:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Accurate-Armour offer several modern British soldiers.

Robert,

Yes they do but I suspect not for the time frame Thomas is pursuing; there was of course a cross-over in the issue and replacement of kit (helmets, body armour and personal weapons) but I think Thomas is after the earlier scenario as depicted by say, Firing Line's figure.

Of course, I might be wrong!

Brian
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2020 - 02:57 AM UTC
I’m reasonably sure that Sid Horton did a NI British squaddie in his Chota Sahib range. However, I think the range is long out of production, although I’m sure some modellers have examples in the stash.

There is also the Tamiya stretcher party, although you’d need to do some reanimating to get to useful poses for your purposes.
poacher
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2020 - 03:24 AM UTC
Thankyou
I will lookup the different sitesand se whats on offer
Poacher
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2020 - 03:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I’m reasonably sure that Sid Horton did a NI British squaddie in his Chota Sahib range. However, I think the range is long out of production, although I’m sure some modellers have examples in the stash.

There is also the Tamiya stretcher party, although you’d need to do some reanimating to get to useful poses for your purposes.

Robert,

Well this is the whole point; the Chota Sahib figures were 54mm in any case (though very well done); if you require animated figures then to be honest you have no option other than to acquire Tamiya or Dragon WW2 Brit/Commonwealth figures and then set to with whatever sculpting expertise you have; you may have to learn on the job, aided along the way by Jerry Rutman's inspirational efforts which show how to get the best out of figure modelling/repositioning/sculpting.

The Tamiya Stretcher Bearers lend themselves to say, administrative tasks with no small effort but aren't really, in my opinion, remotely useful for modelling the hurly burly of say, a Belfast street scene. But then, we don't quite know what Thomas - the OP - is after in detail.

Essentially, I feel it comes down to this:

a. Select a WW2/Commonwealth figure, mainly for the lower body and anklets/puttees. Modify map pockets etc as necessary.

b. Modify upper body to incorporate flak jacket, or indeed, reanimate to taste.

c. Add Belt Order of ammo pouches, water bottle, respirator.

d. Add Hornet Heads to taste.

e. Add SLR (modified from Italeri weapons set).

f. Tweak as necessary based on research/books etc. For example add slings to weapon but secured at the wrist. Add Baton Round Gun slung as necessary. Modify steel helmet with visor (easy enough I should think with transparent plastic curved accordingly).

I am simplifying here but then, I have no desire to pursue a NI theme(!)

Over to you Thomas, but I fear a crash course in Milliput and other "stuff" will be required.

Brian
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2020 - 03:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes they do but I suspect not for the time frame Thomas is pursuing...

We'll have to wait until he responds, but A-A does quite a few that would be appropriate for Operation Banner from the eighties all the way into the 21st century. I like the NCO/Officer nos. 1 & 2.

Slightly off topic: I wonder if the Centurion AVRE was ever used up there? Ossie? Anyone?
smydi01
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 219 posts
Armorama: 197 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2020 - 04:41 AM UTC

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/167278&page=1&ord=1
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2020 - 06:31 AM UTC
There were AVREs used in Op Motorman to clear barricades around the former ‘no go’ areas but with the turret traversed to the rear and a tarp over the gun. Apparently it was thought that showing up with a 165mm demolition gun visible might inflame the situation....

pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2020 - 07:00 AM UTC
Thomas,
It was interesting to read your question.
As mentioned in the various responses, figures of British soldiers with SLRs are very difficult to find. I am actually a small-scale modeller (1/76 and 1/72), and have a similar problem with sourcing suitable figures of this type. I have created a number of Northern Ireland dioramas, but most have been from a later period with soldiers carrying the SA80s. When I really needed to include the SLR, the only option was to modify figures from the Revell (ex-Matchbox) set ... not ideal, but the best I could do.
In short, we really need something specific to this period (both small and large scale) ... probably a long time before we see anything though.

Paul
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2020 - 10:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thomas,
It was interesting to read your question.
As mentioned in the various responses, figures of British soldiers with SLRs are very difficult to find. I am actually a small-scale modeller (1/76 and 1/72), and have a similar problem with sourcing suitable figures of this type. I have created a number of Northern Ireland dioramas, but most have been from a later period with soldiers carrying the SA80s. When I really needed to include the SLR, the only option was to modify figures from the Revell (ex-Matchbox) set ... not ideal, but the best I could do.
In short, we really need something specific to this period (both small and large scale) ... probably a long time before we see anything though.

Paul

Paul,

Are you aware of these (not NI specific)?

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1343

Brian
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2020 - 03:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Black Dog makes a set of British Faulklands Soldiers that may be helpful. They would need some new heads and other mods, but could be a good starting point.

Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2020 - 03:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yikes! Whoever sculpted old mate with the GPMG/L7/MAG58/M240/C6 (delete as applicable) on the far right of that pic has clearly never hefted the real thing, or looked at pictures of how they’re carried.
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 506 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2020 - 07:42 PM UTC
Or looked at how the bipod is fitted !!
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2020 - 11:58 PM UTC
I don't know what kind of diorama you have planned and this may not be much help, but have you considered a larger scale? I worked for Charles C Stadden Studios in the '70s and they did a very large range of 80mm statuettes of Northern Ireland figures. The range covered virtually all regiments and corps and extended up to about 50 figures, including an MP with Sterling. They are very well and accurately sculpted (there was a rumour in the factory that one of the figures was based on his son, who was in the Scots Guards). The idea behind them was that they were awarded to soldiers who did something that didn't warrant a medal or a MID, e.g something that fostered good public relations. The drawback is that they are polished pewter normally, but they did release the base model as a white metal kit. The figure has full IS gear, flak jacket, respirator etc, is armed with the SLR (some of the later figures also have the SUIT on the rifle). I think they also later after I left did a EOD figure. If you search for Stadden figures on ebay they should come up eventually.
If you do wish to stick with 1/35th, I'm not sure some of the other comments are that helpful. I recall most of the above figures wear the short puttees rather than gaiters, this was the norm then and what I was issued with (still got gaiters in the cadets though). Of course WW2 figures will be wearing battledress, which went out in the '60s, perversely you may be better starting with late war German or American figures, which at least give you a combat jacket. By the end of the '70s I seem to remember IS boots being issued, these were a laced high boot, similar to the American issue, but in black. Some of the Stadden figures wear these.
Typical belt kit was one or two ammo pouches, first aid dressing and respirator (not always a water bottle as most patrols were in towns and not far from base). Certain men carried the riot gun which fired baton rounds.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 12:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't know what kind of diorama you have planned and this may not be much help, but have you considered a larger scale? I worked for Charles C Stadden Studios in the '70s and they did a very large range of 80mm statuettes of Northern Ireland figures. The range covered virtually all regiments and corps and extended up to about 50 figures, including an MP with Sterling. They are very well and accurately sculpted (there was a rumour in the factory that one of the figures was based on his son, who was in the Scots Guards). The idea behind them was that they were awarded to soldiers who did something that didn't warrant a medal or a MID, e.g something that fostered good public relations. The drawback is that they are polished pewter normally, but they did release the base model as a white metal kit. The figure has full IS gear, flak jacket, respirator etc, is armed with the SLR (some of the later figures also have the SUIT on the rifle. I think they also later after I left did a EOD figure. If you search for Stadden figures on ebay they should come up eventually.
If you do wish to stick with 1/35th, I'm not sure some of the other comments are that helpful. I recall most of the above figures wear the short puttees rather than gaiters, this was the norm then and what I was issued with (still got gaiters in the cadets though). Of course WW2 figures will be wearing battledress, which went out in the '60s, perversely you may be better starting with late war German or American figures, which at least give you a combat jacket. By the end of the '70s I seem to remember IS boots being issued, these were a laced high boot, similar to the American issue, but in black. Some of the Stadden figures wear these.

Steve,

If you are referring to my comments please note that my suggestion that one adapts WW2 Brit/Commonwealth figures is to facilitate the representation of the short ankle boot (DMS) and anklets or puttees (in line with what Thomas' time-line appears to be); I am not suggesting that Battledress should be utilised as an actual jacket other than to form a basis for the combat jacket - most of which will be hidden under the flak jacket in any case. As the whole undertaking would be Milliput (or other modelling medium) intensive then it will be a simple enough matter to model the bottom edge of the combat jacket. BD arms/sleeves are easier to modify as a combat jacket version than a Wehrmacht jacket I would have thought.

As you point out the IS patrol boot was issued but I suspect this is probably too late for the time-frame. Also, I recall this issue was seemed to coincide with a new purpose-made riot helmet, but to date am unsure how to model that, but then again, I am not envisaging a NI diorama/model anytime soon.

Brian
Jacko464
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 04:36 AM UTC
Can’t help with the figures,but Callsign Models from OZ do a set of SLRs.
Historex Agents sell them here in the U.K.

Jacko
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 06:13 AM UTC
Sorry Brian, I could have phrased that better! But I think we can agree that British figures of this type and period are unobtainium in 1/35th, which is a bit of a travesty really, seeing "The Troubles" lasted nearly 30 years and just about every unit in the British Army served there (except the Royal Irish Rangers for obvious reasons). Apart from the Accurate Armour resin kits and the Dragon Black Box Saladin, there are no vehicles either. Which is why I wondered if Thomas would consider a different scale. I was going to add some links to figures I've found on Ebay, then double checked the prices -eeK!
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 10:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry Brian, I could have phrased that better! But I think we can agree that British figures of this type and period are unobtainium in 1/35th, which is a bit of a travesty really, seeing "The Troubles" lasted nearly 30 years and just about every unit in the British Army served there (except the Royal Irish Rangers for obvious reasons). Apart from the Accurate Armour resin kits and the Dragon Black Box Saladin, there are no vehicles either. Which is why I wondered if Thomas would consider a different scale. I was going to add some links to figures I've found on Ebay, then double checked the prices -eeK!

Steve,

I shouldn't present as so thin-skinned!

I agree entirely about the lack of British NI figures, but really (as a Cold war modeller) there are hardly any decent injected figures of most nations representing either warfighting (exercises in my case) or what I call "Hanging around the Tank Park" figures, which I find generally the more useful type when augmenting models. It's all very frustrating and there is no option other than to convert or modify to the best of ones skill-set, and it's nearly always a lot of work. However, as with most things, one does get better the more one does it; my first timid steps of say, converting a tunic to a parka wasn't that difficult, and as we speak I'm attempting a figure conversion from the ancient Taniya Panzer grenadiers set, but the sanding, trimming and then the Milliputing can bear down a bit, still, that's sometimes the nature of the hobby.

As I've indicated above, Hornet Head sets are invaluable and almost paint themselves; weapon sets - for the Cold war period - are just about widely available with firms like Italeri re-releasing some of their stuff.

For vehicle crews then Valkyrie fill a void up to a point but are quite expensive.

In summary, I think you'll agree, there's not much choice other than to reach for the sanding sticks and Milliput!

Brian
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2020 - 10:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Steve,

I shouldn't present as so thin-skinned!

I agree entirely about the lack of British NI figures, but really (as a Cold war modeller) there are hardly any decent injected figures of most nations representing either warfighting (exercises in my case) or what I call "Hanging around the Tank Park" figures, which I find generally the more useful type when augmenting models. It's all very frustrating and there is no option other than to convert or modify to the best of ones skill-set, and it's nearly always a lot of work. However, as with most things, one does get better the more one does it; my first timid steps of say, converting a tunic to a parka wasn't that difficult, and as we speak I'm attempting a figure conversion from the ancient Taniya Panzer grenadiers set, but the sanding, trimming and then the Milliputing can bear down a bit, still, that's sometimes the nature of the hobby.

As I've indicated above, Hornet Head sets are invaluable and almost paint themselves; weapon sets - for the Cold war period - are just about widely available with firms like Italeri re-releasing some of their stuff.

For vehicle crews then Valkyrie fill a void up to a point but are quite expensive.

In summary, I think you'll agree, there's not much choice other than to reach for the sanding sticks and Milliput!

Brian

You're dead right Brian. But not so long ago (well the 1970's!) there weren't any real SS figures in 1/35th wearing smocks. I still have my figures modified with body putty from then, but they're well hidden away! Now you can't move for them. It does seem strange that there are not more British figures, when you think of the conflicts since WW2; Korea (at least still mainly WW2 uniforms and gear, but any Turks or Chinese?), Aden, Borneo and Malaya as well as NI and the Falklands. After all there is any amount of American Vietnam stuff, so how about it AM suppliers?
Those Black Dog figures look like RM or SBS as they are armed with M16s.SF are allowed to choose their weapons, strange they don't use SA80s. Wonder why?
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2020 - 10:10 PM UTC
Steve,

Whilst I generally agree I think there's a danger of looking at this through Brit eyes; I would love to see any models of almost any nationality covering say, the 60s to the 80s just so I can cease converting what feels like endless Tamiya Generals' set, or the US Command Group (when I can get hold of them). Sculpting pullovers for example is a real challenge.

That said, it's funny how the hitherto esoteric can suddenly end up being manufactured such as Valkyrie's excellent East German Border Guards.

Incidentally, for Borneo or Malaya you might want to consider Firestorm Models - they have some interesting figures but again, and here I take your point, one still has to convert!

I suspect this could be a waiting game but I'm always hopeful; in the meantime, pass me the Milliput.

Brian
 _GOTOTOP