_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Fixing a 'gummed up' airbrush
UpperCanadian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2020 - 04:16 PM UTC
I used Vallejo gloss coat a couple of days ago.

I try to clean my airbrush thoroughly.

However, when I went to use it today, the spray was uneven, splattering, and weak. There were bubbles in the paint cup as well.

How do I fix this? I just bought the airbrush about a month ago, so I don't think its a mechanical issue.

Nathan.
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2020 - 04:35 PM UTC
If it is not mechanical, it’s operator error.... clean the airbrush with some good quality isopropyl alcohol and you’ll find that will fix it. Worked for me when I had the same problem.

Thin the paint correctly, too. Ie, not with water, and to the correct ratio. Works wonders.

Good luck
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2020 - 05:15 PM UTC
What airbrush do you have?
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2020 - 07:39 PM UTC
Tamiya High Grade, works a treat with good paints well thinned. I contemplated a Meng one, but stayed with the Tamiya one.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2020 - 11:06 PM UTC
Complete strip down and thorough cleaning with lacquer thinner will do it
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 02:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tamiya High Grade, works a treat with good paints well thinned. I contemplated a Meng one, but stayed with the Tamiya one.

I really like the triggers style Airbrush, thinking of getting another one like the Iwata Neo to go with my Grex Tritium.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 03:06 AM UTC
I agree with Tojo. I have an Iwata and I strip it down after every use (only takes a few minutes) and thoroughly clean and flush it out with Tamiya lacquer thinner, which is what I use with Tamiya paints. However, I have found that Iwata's Lube, after a period, will dry out and cause the needle to stick.
Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 984 posts
Armorama: 846 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 03:36 AM UTC
I also agree with Tojo. And I’ll add if you use Vallejo primer, tear the AB apart and clean it when done spraying.
That stuff dries rock hard and it can be very difficult to remove the needle after it dries up with out damaging anything.
UpperCanadian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 05:20 AM UTC
Thanks very much. I have an Iwata NEO.

I'm just afraid that if I totally strip the AB down, then I won't be able to get it back together.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 05:23 AM UTC
At the end of the day I use an ultrasonic cleaner to do a final cleaning before storing the airbrush.

Micro Mark

Ultrasonic Cleaner, 50W Ultrasonic Cleaner 50 Watt Ultrasonic Cleaner, 50W
Ultrasonic Cleaner, 50W
Ultrasonic Cleaner 50 Watt

List Price $119.95
Our Price $99.95
QTY.
ADD TO CART ADD TO WISHLIST
The Fast, Easy Way To Clean Small Parts
This is a true ultrasonic cleaner that uses energy in the form of sound waves to create literally millions of tiny, microscopic bubbles in the cleaning solution. These bubbles expand and collapse 46,000 times a second to create a mechanical 'scrubbing' action that works its way into the smallest holes and hidden cavities, loosening and washing away dirt and grease from all surfaces that the solution touches. Includes a 2 inch deep, 3-1/2 inch x 6-1/2 inch stainless steel tank, parts basket, automatic shut-off and plastic cover. Ideal for cleaning airbrushes, model railroad components, R/C engines, instrument and clock parts, coins, eyeglasses and jewelry. Plugs into standard 120v AC household outlet. Power consumption: 50w. For best results, use with #81870/#81871 Ultrasonic Cleaning Solutions sold separately. (Not for use with volatile solvents.)

Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 05:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm just afraid that if I totally strip the AB down, then I won't be able to get it back together.

Well, sooner or later, you will have to strip it down.
So now is the perfect opportunity.

Cheers,
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 05:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Check youtube, they got videos on disassembly and cleaning of the NEO. And just about every other airbrush.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 07:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you spent money on an airbrush,then it has to be done,cant avoid it.Check YouTube as others have said.
UpperCanadian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 07:38 AM UTC
RE youtube.

Good idea, will look at that.

Thanks everyone.
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 07:47 AM UTC
Stripping down an Ab is straight forward, it really can only go back together one way, there isn’t a multitude of parts, and there should be a parts breakdown/ guide included! Go for it, it will improve your airbrushing experience
UpperCanadian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 08:56 AM UTC
I just broke the nozzle trying to unscrew it.
iwatajim
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 10:16 AM UTC
Now that’s a bummer. How exactly did you break it, I know the tool supplied with iwata airbrushes isn’t the best, much care must be taken. This could be your saviour;

http://www.armorama.co.uk/review/15212

We all learn by our mistakes, and stripping down and cleaning the airbrush is something that should be done after every session. The more you do it the more it becomes second nature.

Good luck, Jim.
UpperCanadian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 10:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now that’s a bummer. How exactly did you break it, I know the tool supplied with iwata airbrushes isn’t the best, much care must be taken. This could be your saviour;

http://www.armorama.co.uk/review/15212

We all learn by our mistakes, and stripping down and cleaning the airbrush is something that should be done after every session. The more you do it the more it becomes second nature.

Good luck, Jim.

Was watching a tutorial on disassembling and cleaning the airbrush. Used the wrench that came with the airbrush. I guess I snapped the end off of the thread, which still looks like it's in the housing. I was trying to be careful. Oh well.

I will try to see if my local hobby shop can fix it.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 11:34 AM UTC
Sorry to hear your tale of woe! If the shop can't help, try contacting the folks at Iwata directly. I'm not sure how they can get the threaded stump out, but if it all goes south I can thoroughly recommend the Badger Renegade Krome as a replacement. Its nozzle is tiny and easily escapes during cleaning, but it's just a loose press-fit with no threads...
UpperCanadian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 03:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry to hear your tale of woe! If the shop can't help, try contacting the folks at Iwata directly. I'm not sure how they can get the threaded stump out, but if it all goes south I can thoroughly recommend the Badger Renegade Krome as a replacement. Its nozzle is tiny and easily escapes during cleaning, but it's just a loose press-fit with no threads...

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I may have to just buy a new one.
iwatajim
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2020 - 12:48 AM UTC
You could try using a toothpick pushed into the broken nozzle thread that’s stuck in the airbrush body and see if you can use that to unscrew it? Replacement nozzles are quite easily available. And trying to contact iwata direct wouldn’t hurt, or the retailer you bought it from.

There is a repair service here in the uk from one of the better airbrush retailers, maybe there is somewhere like that in Canada?

Once again, good luck!
Neo
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 916 posts
Armorama: 758 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2020 - 02:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just broke the nozzle trying to unscrew it.

This wont help you much now but:
When something is gunked up like that first step is to soak the whole thing in the appropriate solvent.
Or, if too large liberal spray of solvent.
Then start disassembly.

Advice from a man who has had to use this process on way too many engines, machine tools and a few weapons...

Good Luck.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2020 - 02:39 AM UTC
These are two Iwata dealers in Western Canada. I have the Iwata tool kit and cleaning kit and am as happy as a bug in a rug.

Delta Art & Drafting
11116 120th Street
Edmonton, AB T5G 2X8, Canada
780-455-7983

Maple Airbrush Supplies
268 Mayfield Common NW
Edmonton, AB T5P 4B3, Canada
780-760-7733
barnslayer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2020 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I may have to just buy a new one.

Before sending it out or replacing the AB...
can you post a photo of the stuck nozzle remnants? There may be a fix depending on your photo.

I found this on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAxtUOJxYdk

I'd soak it in Kroil or similar penetrating oil before trying to remove the fragment.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2020 - 05:35 AM UTC
I've had the same issue with my Iwata and was told that Vallejo AIR needs a Flow Improver to shoot out properly from the bottle as the paint is relatively thick to begin with.

The problem with Vallejo Airbrush Thinner is that it does gunk up and clot the airbrush, much to my amazement. As such, I recommend using water or Flow Improver to thin the Vallejo AIR or resorting to another brand of airbrush paint.
 _GOTOTOP