_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Any worse plastic figures than MiniArt?
Floridabucco
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2020 - 03:27 PM UTC
Is there any worse sets of plastic 1/35 scale figures than MiniArt. Every box I have tried the details on the figures, equipment and weapons are very soft, the parts are full of flash...and the limbs never fit very well, always needing a ton of putty.

On the opposite side of the coin are MasterBox figures which I think for plastic figures match and in some cases surpass resin figures.

What do you all think?
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2020 - 03:42 PM UTC
I got the Totenkopf Division set to go with my Panzer III,crappiest figures I have ever seen they look nothing like what's on their website
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2020 - 03:44 PM UTC
Hah! OK I’ll bite but before I do maybe you need to give some examples, it’s possible that you’ve just happened to buy some of their worst & best sets respectively. My experience (with few exceptions) has been the opposite to yours – MiniArt’s WW2 tank crews and their civilian tram passengers have been some of the best sets I’ve used from any mainstream manufacturer. Masterbox’s aren’t bad either but I think MiniArt’s poses are generally better
mudlark
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2020 - 07:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I got the Totenkopf Division set to go with my Panzer III,crappiest figures I have ever seen they look nothing like what's on their website

Where did you buy them from?
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2020 - 08:15 PM UTC

How about Lo model? Blobs with detailed weapons that couldn't be moved from the sprue?

Historex. If you're not an expert old time model builder in the best tradition of Shep Paine stay far away from them. The ultimate in do it yourself figure building short of sculpting your own, though sometimes you will be very close to it with texturing and filling.

By comparison Miniart are easy. But what is it with Masterbox horses? Why do the two sides not match up at all? Historex managed it with interchangeable pieces and Masterbox they're warped and not flat.

I build by subject matter. If it's a subject I want, no matter how bad it is, I'll make it work.
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2020 - 08:28 PM UTC
I am a crappy figure builder, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I found their figures generally quite good. I prefer resin figures in general (or, to be honest, no figures at all, but I like resin better), but I found the sets I saw and used really good.
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2020 - 08:57 PM UTC
Worse in other ways, these from YuFan, https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/qavnbtea3qu1j2yfazqm.html six woman hanging off of a Tiger tank, like that is ever going to happen. Still, I guess there is a market for that sort of stuff.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2020 - 09:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Worse in other ways, these from YuFan, https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/qavnbtea3qu1j2yfazqm.html six woman hanging off of a Tiger tank, like that is ever going to happen. Still, I guess there is a market for that sort of stuff.

Sure beats the thousandth iteration of SS Kharkov figures.

Been considering doing some of the Aurora female tank crews because the US looking ratty in jackets and overalls, British drinking tea, Russians looking heroic and the blatant teutonophilia is getting tired.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2020 - 03:08 AM UTC
Early Mini Art figures were generally poor (and whose wasn't - Tamiya, Dragon, Masterbox, etc?) with gaps and lots of flash, but their more recent releases in the last few years are quite good. Sometimes a bit of putty between joints, but good nevertheless.
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 667 posts
Armorama: 639 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2020 - 03:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

what, you've never heard of girls und panzer? they're very famous
TankManNick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2020 - 03:41 AM UTC
I would have some very lonely tanks if it weren't for Miniart Commonwealth tank crews! The sets I got were generally very good. It IS apparent that the mold making is not the super hi-tech kind. My Takom Chieftains, for example, were very cleanly molded - even the sprues - with well designed parts that barely needed cleanup. By contrast, the Miniart molds are not quite as precise - meaning a little more part clean-up - but the sprues themselves look really rough! Since Miniart put out so many different sets my assumption (I stress I am NOT a manufacturing expert) was that they were using some more rapid mold-making technology. Again, not an expert but I am aware that you can machine a very expensive, but great for mass-production - mold from metal. You can also make a master and create much cheaper resin molds, but they are not good for big production runs.
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2020 - 04:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Where did you buy them from?

Amazon.
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2020 - 05:43 AM UTC
My impression is that the Miniart figures are closer to 54 mm than 1/35 scale.
Their German repair set gives figures who would be over 2,10 m in real life.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2020 - 06:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I worked in a garage where the owner was 6'6" in bare feet or about 2.1m in his work boots.

But then the other mechanic was barely 5'6" so you'd need one of those underscale Tamiya figures to represent him.

Just cut a bit out of the legs, at the waist and or the arms and that'll adjust the height to what you think is appropriate. There is plenty of variation among people.

A lot of figures are so average in size you can almost never have the hulking linebacker or the little guy in a diorama.
bramah4
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2020 - 06:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I completely agree that these figures are giants and look completely out of place, dwarfing any vehicles they get close to. I wish the designers could figure this out. No pun intended. They have many great areas but none I can to purchase.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2020 - 06:12 AM UTC
The Bundeswehr tank crew did have some fit issues but the scale looks fine. Dark green is Tamiya Leo 2A5 figure.

Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2020 - 06:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I worked in a garage where the owner was 6'6" in bare feet or about 2.1m in his work boots.

But then the other mechanic was barely 5'6" so you'd need one of those underscale Tamiya figures to represent him.

Just cut a bit out of the legs, at the waist and or the arms and that'll adjust the height to what you think is appropriate. There is plenty of variation among people.

A lot of figures are so average in size you can almost never have the hulking linebacker or the little guy in a diorama.

Hi Stephen, got your point.
But we are talking about mid 20 century, European folks.
metalhead85
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 219 posts
Armorama: 169 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2020 - 07:48 AM UTC
I have several sets, most are pretty good. The set of Soviet Naval Infantry I have are pretty ,one of whom I subbed out the head for a Hornet head and it came nice, the modern US Army tank crew set is awful though.

Rich
metalhead85
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 219 posts
Armorama: 169 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2020 - 07:49 AM UTC
pretty good I meant lol...sorry

Rich
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2020 - 07:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That is a large pool of people to lump into the one general basket. You have to remember that people generally stayed in their own towns and regions for centuries. There was not that much cross pollination of genes beyond their borders, so adopting a uniform blanket over such a vast area is not appropriate.

70 years ago is just 3 generations and there wasn't really that much difference in height and variations to that than now - 700 years ago, well that is a different story.. just look at the size of genuine Medieval suits of armour.

My Dutch Grandfather was 6' 3", whilst the tallest of his group of Grenadiers he told me some others came close to him. 6' was not that uncommon in the Mid 1940's, depending on heritage and bloodlines. In fact, in many European countries the average height was close to 6' - Scandinavians, Czech's, Serbians, Bosnians, etc - so at an average, that means many people from these countries were above 6'.

The Dutch, Germans, Austrians, etc, had an average at around 5' 10", so all tended to have a reasonable number of tall people.

Whilst average height of UK and US men (and probably Russian men) was around 5' 8", that does not mean there was not a reasonable number of taller people, and ergo shorter too.

The issue in question is not really the height of the figures individually. It is when ALL your figures are the same height at 6' or more, not that only SOME are...

RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2020 - 08:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

My father, born 1918, was 6 foot 2. His slightly older cousins were taller. Both cousins were big and strong enough to pick up a linebacker and throw him.
My fathers friend was taller and stronger than my dad, considerably stronger ...
Police constables back then were required to be 6 foot tall but a tall strong man in my hometwon juggled a copper over his head when they tried to arrest him for being drunk, another time he split bricks by breaking them with his bare hands. These were exceptions.
The average European back then was smaller.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2020 - 08:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

pretty good I meant lol...sorry

Rich

um-hum ... into sailors are we ....
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2020 - 08:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Nearly all of the difference in height is the difference in length of legs (and arms).
During my military service (conscript) we compared the tallest guy (just shy of 2 meters or 6'7") and the shortest (possibly 5'5" but I think he was shorter, maybe 5'1" or so). The difference in height was significant but when we compared their spines the difference was below one inch.
Less than a millimetre should be removed by the waist.

Watch people sitting around a table and compare eye levels and then check again when they are standing up.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2020 - 08:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Pretty easy to check if a particular figure is in scale or not. A 5'10" man (tall, but not extraordinary) should be exactly two inches (50.8 mm) tall in 1/35th scale.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2020 - 08:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

what, you've never heard of girls und panzer? they're very famous

Yes, I was going to say they are a well-known commodity in the anime community and a lot of those people cross-over into model building for the tie-in kits, especially the giant robot stuff. Now, if they were drawn a bit more realistically--or even live action--I might watch that show even if the concept itself does burn my brain. The art work is hard for a 56-year-old dude to pull off without getting looks from other grown-ups (and possible questioning by the law).
 _GOTOTOP