_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Small Diorama
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 774 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2020 - 10:06 AM UTC
Starting work on a diorama featuring the incomparable Tamiya Char B1 bis and the equaling well molded and engineered Das Werk Faun L900 and the SdAH 115 trailer. Smallest footprint I could work out was about 18" x1 8" (45cm or so for those of you more metrically inclined).
So maybe the post title is a bit misleading, mea culpa!
The Char B is "Indochine" a victim of friendly fire which ended up nosing into a ditch or gully; I can't really tell with the photos I have. "Indochine" will be used to help fill up the right side of the diorama. The Faun transport combo will be negotiating said gully ditch under the watchful eye of a small group of interested observers in a Kubelwagen to the left side of the Faun.
Anyway, the Char B is done, sitting on the shelf and awaiting the rest of the gang to finish up. The construction of the Faun is finished and I have started the paint and weathering process with it before I move on to the trailer.
Here are a few pics of the Faun. I've tried for a couple of days to get photos of the Char B to upload but I keep getting 'server busy' messages before I collapse into a frustrated heap of tears and give up.
If I can get the server to give me a break I'll try and upload a few shots of the Char B or whatever progress I may have made on the Faun. No promises.
Cheers,
Rick
Removed by original poster on 08/15/20 - 21:05:40 (GMT).
clovis899
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2020 - 10:16 AM UTC
Seems to work if I go through the process with one photo at a time. I did these two to at least show this isn't just vapor.

Cheers,
Rick

clovis899
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2020 - 10:20 AM UTC
One of the Char B.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2020 - 10:15 PM UTC
Lookin good Rick !!
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2020 - 11:15 PM UTC
Great subject Rick & courage mon brave, these things are sent to try us. What’s your take on the Faun/trailer? According to a build review by Michael Franz in MMI (August 2019) it’s the best kit ever made, but I think I saw a very different opinion somewhere in these forums a few months ago so not sure which is fairer?
clovis899
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2020 - 05:16 AM UTC
Tim,
Of course those kinds of questions are hard to quantify, I've been building for 40 years and have a stash that will take me another 40 (if I don't buy another thing!)

I will say that it must be in the Pantheon of 1/35 scale kits available now. It was mostly a Tamiya simple kit to build all the while retaining spot on fit and impressive detail, particularly the wood bed, and the decals are second to none.

A couple things could have been changed; would have enjoyed separate hood T-latches and I thought the instructions became a little vague concerning placement as you got further along (as a retired school teacher it reminded me of 8th grade essays in which the student ran out of steam after a page or two!). But, truthfully, that just feels like nitpicking to prove that the Das Werk and Custom Scale people are indeed human and not perfect.

I have another day or two weathering on the Faun than I'll post some more photos before starting on the trailer.

Cheers,
Rick
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 914 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 - 08:49 PM UTC
The Faun is a great kit (have it in my stash too). I could not make out if you got a hard or soft top version (EDIT: never mind, it is not on their website yet), but apparently, the wheels do not have the correct dimension. This is (or will be) corrected with the hard top version. Allas, these will not be marketed separately: see below a mail conversation I had with Das Werk... (new to old)

Nils Z. (Modellbau-Koenig.de Service)
30. Jan., 17:19 CET
Dear Erwin Leetink,

thank you for your answer.

Unfortunately, the resin tires weren't quite perfect either.

If you have any other questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us again. Simply reply to this e-mail or send us a new message via the Contact Form.
https://www.das-werk-models.com/contact/

Best Regards
Nils
Corporate Communication

Erwin Leetink
30. Jan., 11:59 CET
Guten Morgen,
Thank you for your quick response.
Sure I understand that kit is not unbuildable, but we modellers strive for models as accurate as possible. 😊Therefore my inquiry.
Regarding the resin wheels: do they have the corrected dimensions?
Grűßen
Erwin Leetink
Verzonden vanaf mijn Huawei-telefoon
-------- Oorspronkelijk bericht --------
Van: Das Werk-Team
Datum: do 30 jan. 2020 10:54
Aan: Erwin Leetink
Onderwerp: Ticket Nr. #59048 Productrequest DW35003 Faun L900 incl. Sd.Ah.115

Nils Z. (Modellbau-Koenig.de Service)
30. Jan., 10:54 CET
Dear Erwin Leetink,

thank you for contacting us regarding Das Werk Scale Models!

First of all, I would like to tell you that the tires are not fundamentally wrong and the model is not unbuildable either.

After the release, we received the feedback that the dimensions of the vinyl tires included are not entirely correct. We have taken up this feedback and incorporated it into the publication of the individual model.

We will not sell the revised parts from the kit DW35001 Faun L900 Hardtop individually.

As an alternative to vinyl tires, we have also produced resin tires. You can find informations about these here:
https://www.das-werk-models.com/products/faun-l900-incl-sd-ah-115/faun-and-sd-ah-115-accessories/

I would suggest you look at some reviews on the Internet and form your own opinion about the tires. We have compiled some reviews here, but there are certainly more:
https://www.das-werk-models.com/products/faun-l900-incl-sd-ah-115/faun-reviews/

Here you can find a finished model for example. It looks great in my opinion.
http://modelerssocialclub.proboards.com/post/342797

If you have any other questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us again. Simply reply to this e-mail or send us a new message via the Contact Form.
https://www.das-werk-models.com/contact/

Best Regards
Nils
Corporate Communication

Erwin Leetink
30. Jan., 10:33 CET
You have a new contact form message from your Jimdo site https://www.das-werk-models.com/contact/ :
-------------------------------------
Name: Erwin Leetink

Subject: Wheels Faun L900 Softtop
I just read that you will be releasing the hardtop version of the Faun L900, with corrected wheels. This indicates that the wheel included with the initial softtop version are incorrect? I do have this kit (tank transporter) and wonder if it is possible to get these corrected wheels?
Kind regards,
Erwin Leetink
The Netherlands
This visitor has accepted the Privacy Policy. Date/Time: 2020-01-30 10:33:26 CET

clovis899
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 - 09:08 AM UTC
Thanks for the info Erwin! Wonder why they won't make the corrected tires available separately? Might have something to do with the terms of the collaboration between DW and Custom-Scale? Maybe they will see the light and change their minds.
Yes, you are correct, this is the soft top, but I'm leaving it off. I was hoping for both resin tires and the wood grain decals but had trouble finding them at a reasonable price and just decided to live with what was included. Notwithstanding any issues with the tires, it is a great kit that I'm sure you will enjoy!

Cheers,
Rick
Golikell
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 - 09:56 PM UTC
Yeah, I am thinking the same... I was even willing to pay for it, but as you see, they simply say no... Oh well, I'll have to do with the kit as is. As for the decals, I think it is not too hard to paint the wood. I am doing the same with a rail flatcar, destined to carry a tank. I see if I can take a pic this afternoon.
Golikell
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2020 - 06:20 AM UTC
As promised a pic of how I painted the wooden planking of my flat wagon.

clovis899
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2020 - 09:58 AM UTC
That's very nice! You clearly won't be needing any decals!

Cheers,
Rick
clovis899
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2020 - 10:42 AM UTC
Here is an in progress shot of the first figure.
He will be positioned in the passenger seat of the Faun's cab facing the rear toward the trailer. I've started on the driver but not much progress to late, mostly trying to get the seat of his pants to sit firmly on the driver's seat.

More to come.

Cheers,
Rick
clovis899
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2020 - 11:08 AM UTC
Here is the general idea for the figure I'm working on. Still have a decent amount of time left, particularly for the arms. No one will ever mistake him for a Rutman or a Cohen but I have enjoyed going a bit further than I normally do with a figure.

Cheers,
Rick
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2020 - 11:34 PM UTC
Great to see unique figure work Rick & thanks for giving me an important clue about articulating them when I come to do mine
clovis899
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 09:30 AM UTC
Tim,
I've been following your outstanding Operation Anthropoid for awhile now, it's pretty clear who's picking up tips from whom!
BTW, your Aussie weather sounds pretty familiar to us here in Central California, 42C today, up to 44C by Tuesday. Nice and toasty August!
Cheers,
Rick
clovis899
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 09:35 AM UTC
Hey all,
I plan on having a Pz. II on the trailer bed of the SdAh 115. I'm hoping to show a minor bit of damage in the form of a missing road wheel. My question, which my search has not revealed, is what does the swing arm look like in that instance? Does it dangle or does it hold it's position? It appears that they are designed to only ride up but was hoping someone might have a more definitive answer?

Thanks in advance!!

Cheers,
Rick
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 10:28 PM UTC
Thanks mate reciprocity’s the name of the game, I was just watching footage of your “firenado” & remembered this tragedy that happened here in January during our own bushfire disaster:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-24/three-firefighters-who-died-in-nsw-tanker-crash-named/11897704

Truly great Americans, I’m pretty sure we sent some of our heroes over to help yours a couple of years ago & hope we’re doing it again if needed
 _GOTOTOP