_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
German Tank Ferries
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 02:59 AM UTC
Not to be confused with "Faeries"! Could anyone provide me with a link to the use of Landwasserschleppers, and the Panzerfahre Panzerdeck, in Russia. After much Googling all I found was LOTS of adverts for the Dragon, Trumpeter, Hobbyboss, and Bronco kits; a few references to their use in North Africa, and the occupation of some Baltic islands, and pics of them on the road (presumably Russia). There must have been some notable use of them in crossing the numerous rivers in Russia during Barbarossa.
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 03:11 AM UTC
Hi Biggles, you could try searching on "Siebel Ferry", this link shows a few images:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=siebel+ferry&qpvt=siebel+ferry&form=IGRE&first=1&scenario=ImageBasicHover
These were how Tigers got over to Sicily and North Africa I think. I don't know if anyone does a kit of these, they seem to have been pretty widespread in use, Mediterranean, Black Sea and Baltic. Is this what you're after/any help?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 03:18 AM UTC
Uhh...no. As I said, Landwasserschleppers and Panzerfahre in Russia. These vehicles were amphibious with a tracked suspension for travelling on land. There are plenty of model kits of them on the market!
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 04:02 AM UTC
You will get slightly better results if you google Panzerfähre instead of Panzerfahre.

For instance you will find this link:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzerkampfwagen_IV
where the authors describe the various variants built on, or using large parts of,the Pz IV chassis.
The text about the Panzerfähre says that two prototypes were built but there was no series production due to the increasing weights of tanks which made the design obsolete.

"Im Frühsommer 1942 wurden von Klöckner-Humboldt-Deutz zwei Panzerfähren hergestellt, bei denen das Fahrgestell des Panzers IV mit einem Wasserantrieb versehen wurde. Zusätzlich erhielt es einen großen pontonartigen Auftriebskörper, der das Fahrzeug schwimmfähig machte. Die Panzerfähren sollten entweder einen – von Kässbohrer hergestellten – schwimmfähigen Anhänger hinter sich herziehen oder zwischen sich eine kleine Brücke einhängen, auf der Panzer bis zu einem Gewicht von 24 t über Gewässer transportiert werden konnten. Zu einer weiteren Fertigung kam es nicht, da aufgrund der ansteigenden Gefechtsgewichte der Panzer die Betriebssicherheit dieser Tandemfähre nicht mehr gewährleistet werden konnte."
Referencing this title: Walter Spielberger: Der Panzerkampfwagen IV und seine Abarten. Motorbuch Verlag, Stuttgart 1975, ISBN 3-87943-402-6, S. 143.
Development work was halted in 1942, tanks with guns were prioritised instead ...

https://www.nevingtonwarmuseum.com/panzerfahre.html
has photos which look as if they were from the German development trials.

/ Robin
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 04:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

These were how Tigers got over to Sicily and North Africa I think.

Not Africa. It would be foolish to put a Siebel ferry on the Mediterranean. The Tigers went in ships and landing craft.

David
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 08:39 AM UTC
Were the Siebels not used to ferry kit across the Straits of Messina from Sicily though? That would count as the Med but is far from being the open water between Sicily and Africa. I agree that the latter voyage would be challenging.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 08:41 AM UTC
A few period LWS pics in this thread (including some Eastern front ones) :

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=38704

H.P.
 _GOTOTOP