_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Painting Camo
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 - 03:26 AM UTC
Just a thought! If paint manufacturers (Tamiya, Vallejo, etc.) issued military colors in applicators like fine-tip markers, or pens, you could paint in-scale dot patterns, like Erbsenmuster, Flecktarn, and other more recent patterns that involved lots of multicolored spots in scales as small as 1/72!
For people who don't like to mess with camo decals - like me!
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 - 04:32 AM UTC
I think that is a great idea in theory, but in practice it doesn't really work because the markers have a tendency to dry out upon paint and plastic.

I know this from using Gundam Markers on a painted figure. The ink won't flow or adhere well to the paint because I too had the same idea. The tip would write for a few seconds and them get messed up against the texture of the paint because the rough matte paint is scratching the marker's tip, preventing the flow of ink.

Also, the Gundam Marker's ink has a bit of a sheen to it that looks pretty unrealistic, meaning it's not flat enough to work as camouflage paint. Sure, one can spray Flat Coat, but that's just another step.

I think the best option would be to use needles and syringes to inject paint onto figures for Flecktarn camouflage, but needles are frowned upon...or use splinter toothpicks.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 - 04:41 AM UTC
How about soft-tip pens such as this:
https://www.amazon.com/Felt-Tip-Brush-Pen-Calligraphy/dp/B072J9G1BV
I agree about the hard tips - it depends on how smooth the surface is.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 - 04:51 AM UTC
I don't know about soft-tip markers.

One problem with pen markers is that their layering thickness is so thin (not to mention smudging) that I wonder if they can cover anything that requires a highlighter's thickness marker.

Recall, nothing is really painted with thin-tip markers for large surface areas. Architecture class students use the broad thick markers for shading and coloring. No student is going to go crazy using a pen marker to color the side of a building's rendering...one uses those big fat markers to do that.

Your idea might work for 1/72 to 1/35 scale figures, but I can see it having a problem with 1/24 to 1/9 figures in that the pen marker will be too small and run out of ink or paint before the job is completed.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea in theory, but I will believe it when I actually see it implemented as a real product.

Actually, as another post here describes, I think pen markers with paint would make for great Anti-Reflective coating coverage of viewing ports. As for Digital and Flecktarn camouflage, that is another story and I think using decals would work better.

The problem with pattern decals is that they print the same pattern on the decals so that it looks repetitive for ease of manufacturer. The decal's pattern should not be repetitive.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 - 05:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The problem with pattern decals is that they print the same pattern on the decals so that it looks repetitive for ease of manufacturer. The decal's pattern should not be repetitive.

But all camouflage patterns are repetitive.

I used Crossdelta decals on my 1/16 figure. And while they provide a superb camo pattern, the application is tedious. After doing just one trouser leg, I just couldn't see myself doing an entire figure, so I stopped...

Mario
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 - 07:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Camo patterns, and any other patterned material, is repetitive. The blank material, previously dyed the background color, is passed through a series of rollers, each of which print part of the finished pattern with that color. The next roller provides the next part of the pattern in another color. Each roller has the pattern on it but when it completes one complete revolution, the pattern repeats itself. The diameter of the roller determines how often the pattern is repeated. Denison smocks of WWll each had unique patterns because the pattern was hand brush painted on, or so I've read.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 - 07:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not saying it's a bad idea in theory, but I will believe it when I actually see it implemented as a real product.

I used fine tip markers (hard tip) for the pattern on her scarf:

The figure is 1/24.

plasticmini
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 - 11:56 AM UTC
I have seen several acrylic paint pen sets on the market and I, too, have thought that'd be great for camo, but I've only found metallic pens. A company by the name of TOOLI-ART even makes acrylic paint pens in grays, browns, and tans that could pass for camou colors, but I've not found them locally. Who knows? Maybe someone can interest the good people at AK Interactive or AMMO...
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 - 02:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Camo patterns, and any other patterned material, is repetitive.

I stand corrected then. Thanks.

I still think that pen paint markers is do-able...it just needs to be made into reality. The trick would be to get the markers not to stink and also not to have spill accidents at the tip or else the model will be ruined.

Yes, I heard that camouflage decal application was tedious and a pain. One has to cut the decals into patches and apply them similar to patchwork.

So absolutely, there has to be a better way to paint the complex patterns of pea, dot, Flecktarn, and Digital camouflage. Stencils are made to airbrush these patterns; I haven't tried them.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 - 03:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I used fine tip markers (hard tip) for the pattern on her scarf:

The figure is 1/24.

That is an amazing job of artistry and craftsmanship. I am impressed.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 - 05:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Stencils are made to airbrush these patterns; I haven't tried them.

Where did you find the stencils/masks for airbrush painting camo patterns?

I contacted several companies that make airbrushing masks and supplied the artwork for the patterns. After trying to cut even the least complex patterns (ie. US 3-color desert pattern) in 1/16 scale all of them said that it just isn't doable.

Mario
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 03:03 AM UTC
I meant the OP for making camo on uniforms - 1/72 and as large as you want. I don't think it's remotely possible to make masks for anything like this.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 03:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That is an amazing job of artistry and craftsmanship. I am impressed.

Thanks! That was mostly an experiment to see if it would work. I had similar problems that Trisaw pointed out - interrupted ink flow which would cause stoppages, but that's because the tools were not suited to the task - like using a screwdriver handle to hammer in a nail. It will eventually work, but it won't be pretty! What we need is a manufacturer to develop a paint/ink in a reliable delivery system.
 _GOTOTOP