_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Iranian mk 5 Chieftain, Takom OOB
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 - 10:20 AM UTC

Iwatajim's Berlin Brigade build motivated me to do my own Chieftain. I'm working on a Mk 5/P in Iranian service. The painting won't be nearly as interesting as the Berlin brigade, but I thought I'd take it slow, seek feedback, and hopefully get info, as I try to put this together. I've gone through Iwatajim's build and learned a lot as I look at the instructions and the uncut plastic.

So far I've finished the running gear and lower hull. Very straightforward with the road wheels being particularly easy (no seam line to sand).

I will start working on the upper hull next.

In the instructions it suggests putting the tracks together now. In a previous build here, there were comments that suggested that during combat operations the pads could be removed and the tracks reversed for better cross country traction (https://armorama.kitmaker.net/features/7438). I'm wondering if this was a British army practice or foreign operators did this as well. I've found a couple of pics of Iranian chieftains with no pads on the tracks, but at least one of those was a wreck. Not sure what to do.
iwatajim
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2020 - 02:33 AM UTC
Great to see you started on the Iranian Chieftain Phil. The road wheels are a rather tight fit so if you are painting them separately from the hull I would mask the “axles”, I had to remove some paint from mine to allow fitting.

I’m sure someone will be along soon with info on the tracks...

Thanks for sharing!

J.
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 506 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2020 - 03:11 AM UTC
The good old clunky Mk5's lol...they certainly will not be missed haha.

Phil I will also be checking in on this as the build gathers steam so looking forward to seeing more.

Ref the track pads. I mentioned this before only as an interest point really. It was purely something we were advised we should or could do in a real time war footing to give better grip and traction. It was never put into practice as pads were a legal requirement on German roads for us and thankfully we never went to war in BAOR. If we lost over 20% of pads through normal wear and tear we had to get a new track. I would leave the pads fitted and tracks as they are.
 _GOTOTOP