Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Proposal: 1st Gulf War, 30th Anniversary
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 - 10:14 PM UTC
Good news everyone, thanks to Richard S. a.k.a. Gulf Warrior we have been approved and you can sign up here, which is the same link that Gulf warrior has listed:

Enlistement Page

i'm going to have a chat with the higher ups with regards to a campaign gallery page as i want to make certain that there is an option for that as i am not sure when we will be officially moving to the new forum.

I will also post and official campaign thread once we get to the start date (16 january 2021) assuming i'm not killed off by a certain virus going around.

in the mean time, start stocking up on kits and accessories for the campaign... not that you need me to tell you guys how to do that and for our younger members a certain jolly fat man who is tracked by NORAD in late december might be able to help you out when choosing your model to build for the campaign.

Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 - 10:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Ryan ..... thats good enough for me. The anti skid is one of the reasons I fancied doing an M1 as its a technique Ive wanted to try out for a while and this seems a good as time as any. And if some nice person could send the link to Ginos method that would be great. Thanks all ....... John

Here you go John.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/50656#424251
deerstalker36
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 232 posts
Armorama: 218 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 - 10:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

January 16, 1991 was when it all kicked off and it's hard believe that it was 30 years ago (hands up if that news is making you feel old right now )

so i was thinking of using that start date, albeit 30 years later January 16, 2021 as the start date for this campaign. So the usual rules apply, any scale, any vehicle, any branch of service, partially started kits welcome as are dioramas and vignettes.

other rules to be discussed and added later on, so who's up for it?

technically Aug 2 1990 was when it kicked off. on HMS Jupiter and got called back from Kenya.
i'm in for it though, just found a 1/350 HMS Andromeda kit that with some minor changes can be changed to the raving J

Johnnych01
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 506 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 - 10:58 PM UTC
Sorry to be a bore for all the M1A1 gurus, but I have another Q;

Is the Tamiya M1 with mine plough ( I think its kit 35158) a version that can be used as a 1st Gulf vehicle ?

I have seen some mine plough versions with the large box (air Con ? Generator ? ) on the right hand rear of hull and some without. I dont want to buy a kit that has the wrong configuration. All help appreciated. John
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - 01:18 AM UTC
Thanks Ryan, that is a really great link and helps alot and I will certainly use it. Thats the great thing about these sites, all the info you tips you can get.( and thanks Gino).

Colin, I think that date in Aug 90 was for Op Desert Shield (or something along those lines) which was the combined air campaign to soften everything up. The actual ground offence offence was launched on January 16, 1991. Was'nt the first shot fired by Apache gunships and Hellfires taking out a radar or comms set up ?
GulfWarrior
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,051 posts
Armorama: 1,029 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - 01:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good news everyone, thanks to Richard S. a.k.a. Gulf Warrior we have been approved and you can sign up here, which is the same link that Gulf warrior has listed:

Enlistement Page

i'm going to have a chat with the higher ups with regards to a campaign gallery page as i want to make certain that there is an option for that as i am not sure when we will be officially moving to the new forum.

I will also post and official campaign thread once we get to the start date (16 january 2021) assuming i'm not killed off by a certain virus going around.

in the mean time, start stocking up on kits and accessories for the campaign... not that you need me to tell you guys how to do that and for our younger members a certain jolly fat man who is tracked by NORAD in late december might be able to help you out when choosing your model to build for the campaign.

Yes, a gallery will be set up. I just haven't got around to it yet!

GulfWarrior
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - 01:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Ryan, that is a really great link and helps alot and I will certainly use it. Thats the great thing about these sites, all the info you tips you can get.( and thanks Gino).

Colin, I think that date in Aug 90 was for Op Desert Shield (or something along those lines) which was the combined air campaign to soften everything up. The actual ground offence offence was launched on January 16, 1991. Was'nt the first shot fired by Apache gunships and Hellfires taking out a radar or comms set up ?

16 January was when the air war started. I was a budding, young signal intelligence interceptor at the time. 02 August was when Saddam went into Kuwait.

Yes, the first shots were fired by Apaches (101st Air Assault I think) taking out radar sites to clear a path for the aircraft coming in.

Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - 01:50 AM UTC
Thanks for clearing that up Richard,I remember the thermal film showing the Apaches firing ... always looks good. I was on Bright Star in Egypt and part of a Div firepower demo and firing my Striker, while behind and above us about a Km away, some Apaches loosed off a salvo of Hellfires which was impressive to watch from underneath as they streaked over us..... those were the days.

Anyway, one for David, regarding the new forums, would it make sense to open up a campaign forum over on the new site to shadow this one ? or would it be to much of a nause ? I was just thinking of the ease of posting update pics etc on the new site and not eating into your allowance over here ?? only a thought ....

John
gbrame
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - 02:26 AM UTC
I am in. As a Crew Chief for a AH-1F with 11th ACR in Fulda Germany at the time, I'd like try to do a 1/72 representation of that aircraft.
GulfWarrior
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - 04:11 AM UTC
I still get goosebumps seeing the night firing of the MLRS! The only thing more beautiful is an A-10 on a BRRRRRRT run!

Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - 04:18 AM UTC
I did use to love watching the A10 fire, until a certain blue on blue with my unit in Iraq ....now Im not a fan......but life goes on...
Grandtoad
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - 05:11 AM UTC
This will be my first campaign. I'm building a Takom M60A1 ERA.

Desert Shield/Desert Storm has been of interest to me since it occurred.
GulfWarrior
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - 07:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I did use to love watching the A10 fire, until a certain blue on blue with my unit in Iraq ....now Im not a fan......but life goes on...

My battalion found out the hard way that a ground surveillance radar system shows up on an Apache's radar as a ZSU 23-4. They took one of ours out. It was three days before I found out if a couple of my battle buddies were dead or alive. They all made it! Can't say the same for their M113 and all their gear!

trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - 09:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

16 January was when the air war started. I was a budding, young signal intelligence interceptor at the time. 02 August was when Saddam went into Kuwait.

Yes, the first shots were fired by Apaches (101st Air Assault I think) taking out radar sites to clear a path for the aircraft coming in.

The 82nd went over the berm seperating Arabia from Iraq almost every night to shoot M198 howitzers. They were maybe ten or twelve klicks inside Iraq. Yet I don't think they close to being the first. There was an Egyptain 152mm howitzer unit shooting before the 82nd got there. And it seems that there were tanks shooting even before that
gary
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - 11:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have seen some mine plough versions with the large box (air Con ? Generator ? ) on the right hand rear of hull and some without. I dont want to buy a kit that has the wrong configuration. All help appreciated. John

Yes, it was a hull mounted auxiliary power unit. From what I understand they weren't widely used due to reliability issues, but I have a book titled "Americas First Team in the Gulf" detailing the actions of the 1st CAV Division that has a photo of a line up of A1s all mounting them so I guess you wouldn't be wrong to use it.

Sean
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 - 12:37 AM UTC
David, is it worth starting a new thread over on the new site for this as more and more people are posting there now, and this side may well be archived by Dec/Jan...
Klaus-Adler
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 - 07:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

David, is it worth starting a new thread over on the new site for this as more and more people are posting there now, and this side may well be archived by Dec/Jan...

good call, I will set up an enlistment thread on the new site in the next day or so.
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 - 09:01 AM UTC
Great.... And I've just ordered my Tamiya M1A1 with mine plough
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 - 06:40 AM UTC
count me in with the M60 Marine tank, and maybe a Type 69II
gary
horrido666
KitMaker: 37 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 - 10:01 AM UTC
I was already a veteran by the time the 1st Gulf War started, but had ETS'd recently enough to feel connected to my unit, the 3rd ACR. I've got an old M113 kit in the stash, and wanted to scratch build a M220 TOW pedestal and ramp in the cargo compartment. We also fielded a Dragon missile mounted to the cupula. That or an AFV club M60A1, and an engine detail kit. Not sure what I want to do yet.
deerstalker36
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 232 posts
Armorama: 218 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2020 - 09:36 PM UTC
just confirming, are we allowing stuff from Desert Shield as well? I've just bought a nice little 1/200 resin Andromeda kit that i can build as HMS Jupiter

Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2020 - 10:34 PM UTC
Colin, it's probably better asking this on the thread on the other site ..I'm not sure how many people still use this one... I rarely come on it now the new forums are up and running and this campaign has a thread there now. John
beerbryan11
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2020 - 06:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yes, it was a hull mounted auxiliary power unit. From what I understand they weren't widely used due to reliability issues, but I have a book titled "Americas First Team in the Gulf" detailing the actions of the 1st CAV Division that has a photo of a line up of A1s all mounting them so I guess you wouldn't be wrong to use it.

Sean

I was with the 3rd ACR and we received new M1A1's on December 29th 1990. Of our four tanks we got only one had the Auxiliary power units. All of the tanks we received had the loops on the right rear to mount the APU's. We didn't use the one we got because due to army wisdom the unit didn't come with any Manual. Bonk
beerbryan11
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2020 - 06:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Sean

As for the mine plows. WE got those right after getting to Saudi Arabia in late September/ early October 1990 (We were the first M1A1 unit to arrive in Saudi behind the 82nd AB) and the mine plows came NATO green we painted them desert sand once there was enough paint on hand. WE painted them with CARC. Only combat vehicle in our Regiment received CARC i.e. M1A1, M1A2, M113, M88 etc... all soft skins received non CARC which started to turn a pinkish color after a couple of weeks. The mine plows themselves were used a lot in training up until the ground war started and had lost most of the paint on the teeth and front blades. So if your modeling a mine plow don't go light on the heavy chipping and wear to the paint.

Cheers Bryan
ryally
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 879 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2020 - 09:45 PM UTC
I read somewhere that 20 Bradleys IFV were destroyed over this time, 17 from friendly fire. I have an old "Lee" Bradley that is a rubbish kit !! It might be the olny time I would build it as a destroyed vehicle