_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Kellys heroes dio idea
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2004 - 07:30 PM UTC
A few weeks back there was a topic on oddballs figures .i was watching the film the other night and come up with a good idea for diorama.its the scene were oddballs sherman enters the tight street and comes in behind the tiger and lets of a shell loaded with red paint and hits the tiger up its arse.it would not have to be big as both tanks where quite close to each other lay off the negative waves man.
coltm4
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 164 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2004 - 08:13 PM UTC
Ha ha that would be fully awesome! :-) You could have kelly shooting the commander as he pops out of the turret, or saying to oddball, "That's paint!"....
great idea tigerIV! I don't know if the tiger camo in that movie is accurate though.
Show the 88mm unable to turn around due to the tree/wall.
You could also so a forced perspective, with a 1/72 Tiger a short distance infront of the Shermie, but that would be difficult... (Shep Paines idea)
"I've had nothing but positive wave about that damn bridge ever since we left, Oddball!"
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 05:03 AM UTC
Woof woof! That's my other dog impression
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 318 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 05:27 AM UTC
Great idea!! My favorite war movie, too, mainly because the Tigers in it were real, not some Hollywood make-overs, like in Battle of the Bulge, etc. Other good scenes could be where they are standing in front of the Tiger and making a deal with the tank commander, or when Kelly drives through the village and splashes the troops in the chow line, or Oddball's attack on the rail yard. By all means keep us "posted" on what you're doing.

Art
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 06:19 AM UTC
could this be a new campaign 'scenes from Kellys Heroes'
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 678 posts
Armorama: 448 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 08:09 AM UTC
Hello Tigeriv:

I am currently working on that very idea for a diorama for my local club's July build. I was also a participant in that last discussion re Oddball's crew figures. I am currently building the Academy Tiger I Early (w/o interior) as that appears to be the model Tiger in the movie. Close up study of the movie pictures also reveal what I think is an attempt at zimmerit so I am planning to do homemade zimmerit as well. For Oddball's Sherman I am using Tamiya's M4A3 Sherman and a Jordi Rubio barrel. For the house I am using Verlinden's 1859 European Country House. Not sure for the walls. I will be making my own trees using Sweetwater products. Hopefully I will have some pictures in the not too distant future.

Keith
warriorFSO
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 38 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 08:39 AM UTC
Here is an idea...

I wonder if shooting a paintball at the back of the Tiger would give it an authentic SPLAT?

Who knows?
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 385 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 01:45 PM UTC
Actually, those weren't real tigers. They were mock-ups built on T-34 hulls. If you look closely at the suspensions, the basis for the conversions is pretty self evident. FSM used to have an ad for a company that sold a conversion kit to make those movie version tigers. They (or something similar) were also used in Saving Private Ryan and the episode of Heavy Metal dealing with the Tiger tank on the History channel.
FiveOduece
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 159 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 04:35 PM UTC
Several years ago Military Modeler had on the cover a Kelly's Hero diorama with Oddball and crew. The phez hat and all, if I remember it was all scratch built. It was the sherman at a german checkpoint, or them breaking through a checkpoint. This was around 89-90 somewhere in there. I was a nice piece.
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 427 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 02:31 AM UTC
I've been working on A "Kelly's Heroes" TRI-orama for 11 years. One scene is "Oddball" coming throught the railroad tunnel. I stylyized it a bit, but I got the scarf and the fez and the loudspeaker, etc. I hoped to have it done for our IPMS May Regional show, but no go.

Maybe next year. You all know there is a Kelly and the Entrepeneurs figure kit.

Also, the truck they lef the bank from was a GMC painted German gray.

Sealhead
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 03:07 AM UTC
Hey Sealhead,
Could you please tell me who makes the Kelly's Heroes figure kit and what scale it is?
One of the old Tamiya catalogs has a diorama called "We are rich mans". It has the Tiger I and American and German figures representing the scene where they are splitting up the gold. It's not bad. Please let me know about the figure set. Thanks Much.

Bodeen
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 427 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 12:27 PM UTC
Kelly and the Entrepeneurs is from Jaguar in 1/35th scale. I forgot where I bought it. There were four characters in the set.

Sealhead
FiveOduece
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 159 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 02:58 PM UTC
You can order the set. One of the local hobby shops has them in stock.
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2004 - 04:53 AM UTC
Bodeen:

The set is Jaguar 63123 and Great Models currently has it on sale for $20.00.

Keith
redaye
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2004 - 05:17 AM UTC
i wouldn't try shooting a real paint ball at the model...they hurt when they hit you up close. i would load a drop or two of paint in a straw and blow it on the model. that might give a good splatter effect.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 05:28 PM UTC
I thought there were TWO kits to chose from in Kelly's Heros - both sets were in resin as I recall....

One was Oddball's crew parked behind allied lines, cooking, bathing, and lounging around (in the film this is right after Oddball meets Kelly )

The other one has Kelly, Oddball, and Little Jo posing in the "Western Gunslinger" scene when they walked up to the Tiger tank in the courtyard. to "Make a DEAL!"...

Am I wrong about this?
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 03:26 AM UTC
The Oddball's crew set (Jaguar 63134) is three figures (two half figures and Oddball) in the tank. The second set, Kelly and the Entrepeneurs (63123) has four figures in the old west type scene where they are approaching the Tiger to make a deal.

Keith
 _GOTOTOP