_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Adding camo netting to a paited Sherman
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 05:07 PM UTC
Hi, me again :-)

Ok, I have a next question for you lot:

I have painted my Sherman and washed it, but now I am not to happy with my gunbarrel, I mean at first it looked alright but now the seam is more visible than I would like (shame on me I know, but hey it is my first tank ever)

I have a Verlinden brown camo net and I was wondering if I still could apply it to the (almost) finished tank, to hide the seam? If so what is the simplest way??

tnx my friends,

#:-) #:-)
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 05:28 PM UTC
There are several ways you could do this. My method is to first lay it on the section of tank you want it, just to get an idea of how it looks. Trim some of it if needed, or make small folds. Once I know were I want it, I find - on the model - places that would be acceptable for tying it to. For example - bolt heads, grab handles, brush guards.
Using fine thread or thin wire (speaker wire is great for this) I tie it to these places. One at a time, gently stretching it as I go. Not all points need to be tied but, enough to realistically portray the real thing. Don't forget to paint the wire or thread accordingly.
Depending on the type of netting used, some of the middle pionts may need a tiny dab of glue to help it sit down. You don't want it to be unnaturally bulged up.
I hope this helps.
Sit tight as there are bound to be other methods.
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 08:02 PM UTC
Hi Ronny,

I've seen pics of M4 tanks with chain link fence around the barrel of the gun for attatching foliage. Perhaps with that you can hide the seem of the barrel but keep the tank uncovered.

There are a thread about simulating the chain link fence.

HTH
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 09:02 PM UTC
Actually it's not chain link fence but something referred to as "chicken wire". A thin wire fencing used around chickens. This could be represented easily with a coarse mesh or veil material, perhaps even medical gauze. I still have a roll of it that came in my car's first aid kit that was required when I lived in Germany. Just cut a portion off and soak it with white glue, form it to the gun barrel and remove. Sprinkle some foliage (tea leaves or railroad lichen) and spray paint green. Slide the completed mesh back over the barrel and you've hidden your seams.
 _GOTOTOP