_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Problem with Badger Model 200 AB
daselim
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 06:23 AM UTC
Help!
I have a 12 year old, but never used until now, Badger Model 200 airbrush. It was never used because I didn't have a suitable and safe place to spray. Now I do, so I hooked up the old beast just to see what would happen.
Most of the time, when the trigger is pushed, the brush pushes air just fine, but on some passes, air will not flow. When this happens, the brush still hisses, but very little volume of air is felt at the nozzle. Releasing the trigger, then pressing again corrects this condition. I have not actually pushed paint through the brush, just air, to test my airlines/gauges/filter/compressor setup. However if it acts like this without paint, I am glad I wasn't painting because my guess is it will do the same in actual use.
Does anyone have an opinion on what is causing this?
My setup consists of a small compressor with a 2-gallon air tank. The compressor has an attched regulator gauge and a quick disconnect connector. I run a coiled airhose from there to airline on my workbench build of 1/4 inch pipe. This airline has a filter, another regulator gauge, and a dessicant based moisture trap, in that order. Attached to the moisture trap is a Badger braided airhose, with the brush on the other end.
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Dave
JBM
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 07:02 AM UTC
Hey Dave,
Sounds like the seal in the trigger might be dried out or cracked. Try replacing it, they don't cost very much. The trigger unscrews at the bottom of the gun where the air hose attaches.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 07:43 AM UTC
yep, sounds like it just might be a bad air valve.
if you still got the book, you might be able to just order the seals, stem etc.
If not, go for a new air valve, they only cost a few bucks.
Also check the little teflon gasket on the head, if it's 12 years old, and never used, it also may have dried out.

As much as people complain about Bager airbrushes, their parts are cheap to replace,
and are easily available. Just picked up a new Badger 150, my old one is about 25 to 30 years old, and I never had a problem with it, still got the original needles and heads. just replaced the tips a few times, and the teflon gasket on the head, and I also had to replace an air valve. I bought it because I went into shock when I found out that a new hose for my Iwata was going to cost me 53 bucks. My Passche is so old, I can't find parts for it. It suddenly died after hitting the concrete floor at work, and destroyed the tip, needle, and head assembly., it's a VSR 90, if anyone knows where to get parts for it, I'd appreciate hearing from you. I personnally like the 150 since it is a double action airbrush, and they seem to be far and few double actions made today.
daselim
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:07 PM UTC
Thanks for the suggestions! I still have the book that came with the brush, so will be able to order the trigger seals etc..., or in the worst case, the whole air valve. My local hobby shop is able to get Badger parts, so it looks like I will be stopping by on Monday.

Cheers
Dave
 _GOTOTOP