_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
What's a Good Panzer IV kit?
beepboop
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 07:15 AM UTC
Hi

Only just found this place and i'm almost overwhelmed with information! I've been modelling for quite a while, but only in an amateur way. I'm trying to brush up my skills, and have messed around with a few kits now. Anyway, after a few experimental projects - often involving rebuilds and repaints of kits I made a while ago - i'm keen to build a model from the ground up with what i've learned.

I really like the German PzKpfw IV, and would like to know which company makes a good 1/35 kit? I usually like Tamiya, but I was annoyed by their PzKpfw V Panther, which didn't impress me at all (there aren't even floors to the sponsons!). Any advice would be very helpful and much appreciated.

Cheers,
Beep.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 07:35 AM UTC
hi, first, (you'll prob/ hear this a lot) WELCOME TO THE SITE

DML makes pretty good armor try checking them out.....
-mech
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 07:51 AM UTC
Hi Beep! Welcome! well first off you will have to decide what PanzerIV you want to build ...Dragon makes a F1,F2 a G and a late J ...Tamiya makes an Early H and an Early J...Tamiya also made a D way back in the late 70's or early 80's along with an H model. I wouldn't suggest you use those two kits ..Just the others are nicer models. Italeri has an H and a f1,f2 and g model out there too but again early 80's technology. To start I would suggest the early J from Tamiya just because there is not much wrong with it and is a great kit to build ..The H has the side armor skirts but are too thick to use anyways..Needs a new roof for the turret too. Have fun and glad you're back to building models again!!

Rick
jw73
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Zachodniopomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 148 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2004 - 12:07 AM UTC
I recommend Dragon panzer IV G. I am building one now. Very nice kit !
coltm4
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 164 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2004 - 12:31 AM UTC
I have an Academy Pz 4 (ausf H i think.... the one with all the side skirts and the high velocity 75) which i think is a re release of the REALLY old Tamiya. It goes together sloppily and has poor fit. Horrific flash and some details just soft. Although the basic shape looks reasonable, the side skirt arms have no locator pins so i don't know where to put them! and the turret side skirting doesn't fit on the turret ver well either. But, for a muck around model kit to fill a gap in your collection, go ahead, because if you mess it up, its worth a third of the price of the Dragon kits!
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 01:49 AM UTC
Hi Beep,
I would recommend the Tamiya J or the Dragon late J they both build into very nice models. The Tamiya kit goes together easier than the Dragon, but detail is good on both. I'm guessing the Tamiya Panther kit you built was their Panther A, which is a pretty old kit (early to mid 70's at least) by todays standards it is pretty much a "dog". If you are interested in building a nice Panther kit pick up one of the newer Tamiya Panther G's, early, late, or steel-wheeled, all three are very nice.

Cheers,
Mike
beepboop
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 03:05 AM UTC
Thanks for all the advice guys, I appreciate it. All the varients are difficult to chose between, since I like them all - yes, even the squat-gunned 75mm one! I think i'll go for the long-barrelled J, but without side-skirts.

I'll be back asking for more tips regarding paints and building, you can bet!

Cheers,
Beep.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 03:52 AM UTC
Good choice Beep ...Now get out there and build it !! Keep us up to date on your progress.

all the best
Rick
 _GOTOTOP