_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Panther Spare Road Wheel Mount
Oatster
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 12:33 AM UTC
Hello,

I was hoping I could get some assistance. I wanted to add a spare roadwheel to either the rear turret of my panther G or on the rear sides of the tank...I have seen other mount these spare wheels this way, but in my research and in the pics of the other modelers, I cannot see what type of mount is being used. Does anyone know if these were bolted to the turret/hull, or what type of bracket may have been welded on?

I have a few panther books (not Jentz's unfortunately), but I haven't seen any good reference shots. Any help or pic is appreciated.

Thanks!
DRAGONWAGON
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 501 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 12:47 AM UTC
Hi, Oatster...

I have a picture somewhere, with two roadwheels attched to the turret, srewed on with wingnuts...I'll try to recover it, and I'll post it by PM to you.

All the best, John.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 01:36 AM UTC
Oaster,
The Panthers that had the road wheels on the turret had them bolted on. There were three bolts welded to the turret for this purpose. (done by company maintenance personel I assume) I have a good pic of the turret without the wheel on it where the bolts can clearly be seen. I'm at work now but if no one else has posted a pic, when I get home I'll put it up here on this thread.

Cheers,
Mike
MariusPRD
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 01:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a picture somewhere, with two roadwheels attched to the turret,

can u show it to me too, i'm curious to see it too
Oatster
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 02:34 AM UTC
Thanks guys...can't wait to see the pics. As always, you guys validate why this site is so useful and friendly for fellow modelers. Thanks!
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 06:37 AM UTC
OK here you go 2 pics, one is a wartime photo that has been published in several books where the road wheel is mounted to the turrett. The other is of a preserved Panther, that presently sits in Houffalize Belgium, without the wheel and you can see the bolts where it was mounted.

Cheers,
Mike
Oatster
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 12:40 AM UTC
Thanks! This is great.

Mike
 _GOTOTOP