_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya Chally 2 review now at PMMS
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 02:54 AM UTC
Terry Ashley at PMMS (http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com) has published a review of new Tamiya Challenger 2 kit.

It is here: http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/tamiya/tam35274.htm.

Rgds,
Pawel
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 02:57 PM UTC
One correction to Terry's review. In it he said that the roadwheels, idlers, and sprockets are the same as those on Tamiya's Challenger 1mk.3. After comparing the sprue pics on PMMS to my C1 mk.3 I can happily say, they are not the same but new C2 roadwheels, sprockets and idlers. This has since been pointed out by others, who also noticed this, to Terry and he admitted his mistake over on the ML modern DG.

Mike
MMB
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 259 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 06:19 PM UTC
Thanx for the review !!

Now where can I buy that thing ?!

Marc
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 07:57 PM UTC
Yep, I got my 2, they should be in the states and the rest of the world in a few days. They are nice and make up for Trumpeter's soft details. But again Tamiya has taken some short cuts in producing the kit. But the nicest thing is the Tail lights. they are really well down. The turret is also much improved over trumpeters kit, however Trumpeter does give you separte parts for the side storage bins. Final major missing detail is the sponson tops above the tracks. But th9is should only be noticeable if someone decides to build a pre Iraq C2 and you look at it from the bottom. All in all its a kit kit and welcome addition and improvement to my kit collection. STUG
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 08:53 PM UTC
i think the 'why do we need another one' arguement should be laid to rest now,

from the look of it the tamiya kit is far superior to the others on the market. ill certainly be buying at least one, even if they do charge £30 for a kit!

cheers

joe
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 12:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The turret is also much improved over trumpeters kit, however Trumpeter does give you separte parts for the side storage bins.

I heard that thats one of the worse parts of the Trumpter kit...the storage bins fit like crap on the kit.

Only problem I got is that I hve the Trumpter kit with the AA Operation Telic updates for it and I have a friend ordering me the Tamiya kit I guess I'll do the Trumpter kit in Green black scheme I saw posted here a couple days ago

DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Armorama: 526 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 10:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The turret is also much improved over trumpeters kit, however Trumpeter does give you separte parts for the side storage bins.

I heard that thats one of the worse parts of the Trumpter kit...the storage bins fit like crap on the kit.

Only problem I got is that I hve the Trumpter kit with the AA Operation Telic updates for it and I have a friend ordering me the Tamiya kit I guess I'll do the Trumpter kit in Green black scheme I saw posted here a couple days ago

Are you going to use the AA set on the Tamiya kit ? If so, can you report how it fits ?

As I am tempted to build a Challenger II Kosovo version...

Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Final major missing detail is the sponson tops above the tracks.

One question: What are sponson tops? Anybody out there with a picture explaining this?

Thanks,

Thomas
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 07:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One question: What are sponson tops? Anybody out there with a picture explaining this?

Well, it should probably be rather "sponson bottoms" than "tops". What Steve had in mind is that the hull part that extends above tracks (sponson) does not have bottom wall in the kit. This means that above each track is sort of an empty box in the hull, while in fact this box should be closed and there should be horizontal plate right above each track, which is missing in the kit

Rgds,
Pawel
Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 07:10 PM UTC
Now it makes sense!

Thanks Pawel!

Thomas
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2004 - 01:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Are you going to use the AA set on the Tamiya kit ? If so, can you report how it fits ?

As I am tempted to build a Challenger II Kosovo version...

Nope I'm just going to use the AA kit and Trumpter one to build up in the green and black cammo.

I have a photo of a C2 in Iraq with different colored sand parts on it that I think I'm going to model when I get my Tamiya kit.

_GOTOTOP