Hosted by Darren Baker
Rubble Questions....
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,055 posts
Armorama: 530 posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 10:59 AM UTC
On my diorama, I'm going to have a corner of a building, destroyed a few months ago. I thought about using kitty litter, would that be okay? Oh, and this is going to be a brick building. Thanks for your time.

(Oh, and sorry about all of the threads popping up with me as the author. I'm in 4-H, I have a month to make a diorama, 6 models, and still take 7 good quality pictures for a different project, so I'm going into overdrive; working on models whenever I'm not sleeping or on this site. I'm going #:-) ! Also, is anyone else or their children in 4-H?)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 11:58 AM UTC
Ok - during the recent RMG dio. campaign I decided to duplicate the rubble by making a complete building and destroying it to get the perfect about and type of rubble. What goes up must come down -was my logic....

So, the one thing it taught me is that your rubble must match your original building. If you depict a brick building and you don't have predominantly brick rubble there will be a 'dissconnect' in the viewers minds when they look at your dio. Your pile will be the right size and position. The material that the pileis made of will not accurately reflect the wall it came from

Long story short - sorry - no. The kitty litter will be good filler and good for the middle layer between the outter brick and inner wall. IMHO Kitty litter will need to be supported by additional bricks.

Not a big deal -
here's an article that will help you on your way to LOTS of bricks. You can also make them using wall spackle.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/58

No big deal on the threads.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 12:34 PM UTC
Take a look at this article I wrote. This is how I created brick rubble for a small vignette. Are you looking for something like this?

Here is the link...Click me, Click me :-)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 01:07 PM UTC
Marty's link shows how you can mix bricks and 'kitty litter' to effectivly represent rubble. That is visually what I was trying to convey in words.

Thanks Marty!! Nice Addition
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,255 posts
Armorama: 485 posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 02:46 PM UTC

Keep your rubble consistent with it surroundings and remember there is a lot of mess when a building comes down. Check out the many articles on rubble and building here at Armorama. Lost of great advice form great modelers. Click here, Basic Wall Construction for the article I wrote on basic construction.

Good luck

John
www.johnneill.com
ronstyle
Visit this Community
Region de Antofagasta, Chile
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 01:09 PM UTC
EVERYTHING IS GOOD AS LONG YOU KNOW HOW TO WORK ON IT!! ALMOST EVERYTHIG CAN BE AIRBRUSHED AND GLUED...IN THIS CASE MAYBE A GOOD IDEA
 _GOTOTOP