_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Grabhandler
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 02:04 AM UTC
Mission Models advertises a Grabhandler for $55 plus shipping. Discount Models has the same device for $50 that includes shipping. Has anyone bought this instrument and, if so, can we benefit from your observations?
thanks
DJ
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 621 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 02:22 AM UTC
I have bought, and played with a bit. The best price I've seen for it is Discount Models, but fortunately, I had already ordered it before DM set me the "New at " email. Not really sure it's worth the price, but when I start churning out grab handles for the T-34's and IS-2's I hope to get around to this summer, I'll probably be glad I got it. It is well engineered, and be a lot better than by old system of using a couple of pair of needlenose pliers, a small ruler and the ol' Mark I mighty eyeball. Good tool? Yes. Good value? Still debating...
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 03:19 AM UTC
DJ,
I pretty much agree with JimF here. It is an expensive little tool, but at the same time it sure makes bending wire to make those grabhandles much easier. (the same size every time ) On the plus side it is made very well, you can use it to bend even thicker pieces of brass rod and it doesn't damage the thing. Unless you lose it, it should last a lifetime

Mike
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 07:06 AM UTC
Appreciate your feedback. Discount Models is the cheaper way to purchase it. Look forward to seeing some results from it.
thanks again
DJ
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 07:21 AM UTC
Guys,

I wrote a detailed review of this tool a month ago. It is here, on Armorama:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/411

Pawel
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 1,379 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 09:00 AM UTC
I have one, just 2 words to say :

- expensive
- not so useful
Cheers
pascal
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 09:42 AM UTC
I saw something simular called the Brass Assist Rolling tool. It is even more expensive, but I believe there are more uses for it. It retails for $69.95 USD, but it allows you to roll those pesky "need to be round" pieces of PE, make grab handles, and also form those extremely hard to form PE tie downs, all with one tool. You can view the item here http://www.ww2modelmaker.com/holdfold.htm
There are other tools offered, but this is the only one that really caught my eye. It is expensive, but maybe some of you out there could use this bad boy! "Q"
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 11:11 AM UTC
Sounds to me like an absolutely wonderful tool. But I agree way to expensive for the amount of grab handles I would need. Be great for a group to buy as several folks could get great value from it. I would definitly chip in if we had a "club" here in Dallas
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 11:12 PM UTC
Pavel-- great rundown on the tool. Let you know how it works for me when I get it.
DJ
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 10:16 AM UTC
Received my Grabhandler this afternoon. Discount Models is great! Asked Mark for it on Monday and received it on Thursday. It is really neat and durable. Makes great grab handles and they are uniform to boot. I love it!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 10:44 AM UTC
Here is a practically free 'grabhandler'. Take a piece of solid plastic, say 1/4" x 1/4" x any convenient length. Measure the length of the grabhandles you want to make - let's say 10 mm. Measure 10mm from the end ( or the edge) of the piece of plastic and drill a hole, preferably the next size up from the diameter of brass rod you are using. Stick your brass rod into the hole you just drilled, bend the rod 90 deg. until it is flush with the plastic surface, and then bend it again over the end ( or edge) of your piece of plastic. Trim the ends equal, and VIOLA, grabhandles in seconds. All with a tolerance of between .25 - .5 mm. Guaranteed hours of grabhandling pleasure!
 _GOTOTOP