_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Cromwell
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 05:05 AM UTC
Hi guys, just finished my Tamiya Cromwell with Aber wading gear, the figures are from Dragon.

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 06:45 AM UTC
Looks good Dave,
I got the parts packed up, but post office was closed before I got there, so will send out Monday morning.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 08:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks good Dave,
I got the parts packed up, but post office was closed before I got there, so will send out Monday morning.

Thanks Dave. I'm not too sure of the effect of using gloss varnish to represent wet areas - even though I watered the varnish down it seems too glossy in the photos, although the lighting may have something to do with this. No hurry for the parts, but thanks anyway.
russ
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 359 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 02:12 PM UTC
Nice work Dave.

The wet areas look great and give the model a really effective look.

PiotrS
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 09:05 PM UTC
Good work Dave!

Photos usually can't show right 'wet' models. Two or three weeks ago on Missing Lynx was very interesting post about making wet surfaces. Check it, but right now your model looks really good except figures - they shouldn't shine!

Piotr
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 11:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good work Dave!

but right now your model looks really good except figures - they shouldn't shine!

Piotr

The only part of the figures that is shiny are the legs (from the knees down) and boots. As we know from previous occurences of this phenomenon even matt finishes shine under the lights used for photography!
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 04:28 AM UTC
Hey Dave looking good ...It certainly isn't easy to get that wet look to look right ....maybe if your base had a bit of water at one end it might give the people looking at it the idea that it is just coming out of the water... As for the figures ..remember the battledress was wool so the color should be darker but maybe not gloss. I was thinking about something like this and an idea of using Ice-Coat to show water running off the tank might work..just a thought.

Rick
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 06:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As for the figures ..remember the battledress was wool so the color should be darker but maybe not gloss. Rick

Point taken on the figures - I can redo that part. The base isn't shown too well, but the sand at the rear of the tank is varnished, as are the track marks where the weight has squeezed the water up. It would have been better if the base was larger, but space is very limited and it would have looked stupid with wading gear on and no base..............
 _GOTOTOP