Hosted by Darren Baker
Rubble And Debris
wildbill
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 06:28 AM UTC
Hey I'm going to make a diorama but I am not sure how to make my rubble or debris sow can anybody help me PLEASE !

Cheers
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 07:31 AM UTC
Wild Bill, there are a lot of things you can use for rubble and debris. The first things that come to mind are cat litter, and broken up bits of plaster, you can also mix in spare parts and items from your spare parts box. Not all rubble would include building materials but also the furniture and things found inside buildings and the things that the building collapsed onto. Also it depends on what type of building you are making. If it is a rubble pile from a brick building you would need bricks. There is an excellent article here on this site in features its found in digital diamonds on making bricks. Cheers and I hope this helps. Kevin
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,255 posts
Armorama: 485 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 08:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am not sure how to make my rubble or debris sow can anybody help me PLEASE !

Lots of help here at Armorama, check out the many articles on buildings and debris. My article might be of help click here to see Basic Construction of a wall. - "Hunter or Hunted..."

Basis approach is to create me walls and mix up extra material. Once I finish my carving of bricks, or walls, stone or stucco, I toss all the clean-up junk and all the extra material in a plastic bag and give it a few well placed smack with the hammer and … “INSTANT RUBBLE”.

After you check out the articles, drop me a line if you need additional help or ideas.

Good Luck!

John
www.johnneill.com
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 09:03 AM UTC
Ola Wildbill

Dirt and rubble a much overlooked part of diobuilding.
There are not really rules of Dirt and Rubble but I have a few guidelines that I always follow when making it.
Make sure there is enough of it
In such a sense that when you have a 2 or 3 story building that is damaged you also have the amount of Rubble that indicates it comes out of a 2 or 3 story building. And that in a Explosion the Rubble gets blown away very far
Brick Building... Brick Rubble
This sounds very logical and is mentioned before. But Looking at the Architecture and built up of a building shows really well what kind of Rubble you would see. In Brick Buildings you would expect Bricks and Wood while in a concrete building you would see Concrete and steel.
Order of Rubble
With this I mean that there is a difference in Weight. When you have an explosion from a grenade or something similar the Debris litterally gets blown away and the Lighter materials like wood will fly higher, longer and further. So often on top of the Debris you will find a lot of wood.
Dirt Rubble and Debris are Solid.
Dirt, rubble and debris always are straight against walls and are enclosing everything. Almost like what happens when you get trapped in an avalanche. So almost no Gaps against walls and other building features.
Glass?
When you building doesn`t have glass in the windows then show where the glass did go. Show the glass laying around in the Debris.
odd Rubble
Also mentioned before but when a wall collapses it will take a lot with him. This could include paintings. Part of the roof, Floors, Furniture that stood on those floors. Also stuff that stood outside the building (Cars Bicycles, A paperstand) would be (partially) covered by the debris. Papers and such light things are also not strange in the vacinity of caved in Buildings.
Dust, Dust, Dust
Every caved in/exploded/ruined building produces a huge amount of dust wich will cover everything. of course after a huge rainfall it will be a bit less but in general you will hgave everything covered under a huge amount of dust .

Well after a long talk of to Debris or not to Debris I wanna start a little talk on how I make my Rubble
Ok I first start to built up all the levelling in the rubble out of Styrofoam. then I cover everything with Wallspackle (Snelplamuur) Comes in a big tube for a small amount of money but make sure you get the acrylic version the other eats foam. While the wallspackle is still wet I add all the additonal things like wood, bricks, bicycles, furniture etc. the open spots I sprinkle birdcagesand. Then I spray the whole thing dark grey. and call me nuts or not but I paint every single part of the debris by hand. Couple of drybrushes over it and to finish it off I give it a light dusting with MIG pigments. and the Rubble would be fine.

Oh and when you show buth sides of the walls make sure the rubble also lies on two sides of the wall.

Well this was my little lecture on Rubble,Debris and dirt

SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 747 posts
Armorama: 301 posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 02:03 PM UTC
throw plaster balsa wood and other odd rubble and find a hammer and hammer away
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 1,430 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 02:36 PM UTC
You could also use a pre-moulded rubble kit like this one. Have a look...
Scale Military Rubble Kit (++)
 _GOTOTOP