_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Base Visitors Join?!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 12:28 PM UTC
Everytime I log on here, there are always at least 20 'Base Visitors' online here. Sometimes their number out-weighs the number of members!

How can we get them to sign/join up? I just don't understand all the lurking.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 12:45 PM UTC
Well - if its anythng like what I do on other sites (ie. ML) then it's everyone else from other sites checking out whats going on here.
This is home for me, and I do check up on the activity and posts on other sites. But I do not register there I just 'lurk' - maybe its just that in reverse.

Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 01:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How can we get them to sign/join up?

Offer them all the free beer they can drink?
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 01:20 PM UTC
I'm exactly like Slodder, although I'm registered at MiniTime (Russian modeling site) I don't find much interesting stuff over there so I mostly hang out here.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 01:27 PM UTC
Howdy Kenc',

Said as a true 'core' member!
My only input is, that I also peruse other sites...certainly not as often as I 'peruse' here (I'll allow my 'number of posts' to support that statement).
I also see other people 'lurk', or 'stop-by' here....but not spend any significant time here.......wish I had an answer for ya.
My feeling is, that it is the 'old-story' of commitment. The unsavoury truth of the matter is; is that the majority of 'lurkers' are like water....they will find the highest level of commitment to a particular subject like water finds it's highest level........through the path of 'least' resistence!.............but that's alright. Most of us need a gentle 'embracement' from our friends, to simply allow friendship and comaraderie to blossom!........an observation that is one of the few 'advantages' of getting old...........gee, I've played my share of Bocche' Ball............ :-)

Tread.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 02:25 PM UTC
The content on this site is getting read -- at least in some areas.

Take a look in reviews and see how many people have looked at Vodnik's Japanese Light Armored vehicle review... it's about 1,600 in a week.

I guess I don't have a point other than people are stopping and reading.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 02:31 PM UTC
We definitely know that large numbers of folks out there are checking us out. - Big Smile

I was just wondering why they don't join in with the discussions. I wish I knew of a way to lure em in. It's no big deal really. It's kinda cool knowing that so many are watching us.

I must point out that I too lurk on some sites, but do not join them because I just love this place too much.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 02:41 PM UTC
:-) :-) .....sorry for my chuckle....but I am generally an 'outgoing' and/or 'gregarious' individual.....but I never used to be. I am a graduate from the 'unofficial' school of G.Gordon Liddy. Meaning (and this is before he ever wrote his book), that I learned to face my original shyness by facing it head-on.
I'm not sure that modeler's (by inherent design), are usually explosively 'outgoing' gent's......
Methink's, it take's 'em a bit to 'warm up' to us......

No worries lurkers....if you've spent even a
couple
of minute's here, I think you've realized that we don't bite!.......that is, except 'Roo........but he's from 'down under'.........and we have to treat our ANZAC neighbour's gentley............

Tread.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 02:47 PM UTC
To be honest I discovered the Big A long before I found Missing Links. However because of the registration requirement I passed and just went to ML where registration is not required to participate.

After a while I decided it was worth the time to broaden my sources. It also took me a while to get used to the Big A layout.

I am also registered at a number of other sites to expand my resoures but find that Armorama and ML are by far the most active.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 03:00 PM UTC
Well, before I joined, I was a base visitor also, for several months, checking the place out, and more importantly how yous guys (that's Josiey for you guys) treated and helped each other.
Having been to and belonged to other sites, I basicly got tired of all the arguing, and flame wars, and belittling bickering that goes on. I'm happy to say, I didn't notice any of that going on here. Instead, by sitting back, and listening, I noticed a different type of modeling site, a helpful, and fun one, one to partipate in, group builds, campaigns, encouragement, and yep, even good humor, and a lot of laughs.
I still go to other sites, I still read there, post there, etc, but this one is kind of like a great bunch of guys scattered around the world in a big jolly modelling club, sitting in my living room each day, sharing the good, the bad, and the ugly.
To all those base visitiors, I say a hearty welcome, join in the fun, enlist, sign up for a campaign, group build, and get to know us.
The best site on the web for the free exchange of ideas, information, encouragement, and good times.
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 05:18 PM UTC
Murphy here, loud and proud to say that ArmoramA was the first site I felt comfortable enough to join and actually post in.
Now, I look foreward everyday to see what my friends are talking about and hoping I can find a subject to help with, not to mention all the answers you guys have come up with to help me out!
Tread, Animal and Gunnie were there at the VERY beginning for me since it was refs for a guntruck that brought me to the Big A and I read their posts with an odd anticipation of new knowledge and techniques.
You all have kept me here and if any Base Visitors read and learn something new and notice the ease of being that exists here, they will sign up and participate like the rest of us.

Cuhail
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 06:13 PM UTC
I have been a base visitor for several month, on this site and other similar sites, just to see what site was the best for me. I signed up yesterday. This is numero uno
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 06:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

couple
of minute's here, I think you've realized that we don't bite!.......that is, except 'Roo........but he's from 'down under'.........and we have to treat our ANZAC neighbour's gentley............

Tread.

HMMMM I see I gotta teach you the difference between 'Roo" and 'Dingo' now tread. :-) :-) :-)
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 08:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have been a base visitor for several month, on this site and other similar sites, just to see what site was the best for me. I signed up yesterday. This is numero uno

Jesper,
Welcome to the site. Nice to see another Dane sign up. Make sure to visit the new community forum for Denmark and say hi to your neighbors!

What do you like to build most?

Cheers,
Jim
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 12:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

couple

Tread.

HMMMM I see I gotta teach you the difference between 'Roo" and 'Dingo' now tread. :-) :-) :-)

One Hops with two hinder legs, one does so with all the legs! SAME DIFFERENCE!!!!!!
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 01:15 AM UTC
Thank you Jim

Fantastic to be here. Just visited The community forum for Denmark.

I have a problem. I want it all. Cars, armor, figures an dio's. I wasn't awareof the vastness of this hobby, until i got my internet connection 6 years ago. A new world oppenend up to me. How do i get the time to build it all? I wan't it all
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 05:59 PM UTC
DARN IT------ My Translator does not do English to Danish,
and I wanted to make Jesper feel welcome in his native language.
So..... Welcome Jesper, join in the fun, join a campaign, and get to know everyone.
 _GOTOTOP