_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Background pics and Shadows
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 07:17 PM UTC
I'm thinking on adding a background picture to one of my dioramas and was wondering if there is a certain way you can do it to minimize shadows casting on it. I thought you maybe could distort the top of the picture to be slightly wider and than the bottom, then angle it back when you attach it. So it would look something like this

Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 914 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 08:19 PM UTC
I'm not wether that's a wise idea: Because of the lightfall, you might get strange reflections on your background, specially when it is glossy......
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 10:34 PM UTC
I think your best bet to minmize the shadow, is use a matte finish not a glossy. You could try the angle, but depending where the dio is displayed is the true factor as to what shadows will be cast.
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 12:53 AM UTC
Right after I posted this, I did some more thinking and decided that the perspective printing idea I had wouldn't work out so well You guys kind of confirmed that. So I think I’m going to scrap that idea just paint my own backgrounds on canvas I’ve done paintings before, so I know what I’m doing. They won't be photo realistic, but hey, at least I can say that I did the whole thing. I also can add whatever I want and get whatever angle I need. I guess I could always try to backlight it and get rid of the shadows. And if all else fails, I could try a blue screen technique and add it in the computer. Any other ideas on how to do a backdrop is still welcomed.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 01:45 AM UTC
If you're worried about shadows in a photo, you can minimize this with multiple light sources, up to and including a umbrella style reflector (if you want to get really nuts). What I use for my gallery shots is a neutral grey cloth and my three main work lights moved around for best light/least shadow. To see how this works, look at the baby pictures mall photographers take or the standard glamour photography (such as [i]Playboy,]/i] so you get to say you're looking at the pictures from a technical point of view! )
If it's shadows in the display, with a matte image, and unless you have harsh front lighting, this should not be a big problem.
DPD1
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 18 posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 07:45 PM UTC
As long as it's lit from the front, I think you had the right idea. I wouldn't lean it back. But I think the key to using a flat background is to try and make it as subtle as possible, using a photo that shows a distant vista. If you do it right, you should almost not notice there is one. Try to cover the edges where the photo stops, and a good portion of the center areas, with actual objects in the foreground. And also make sure that it's a flat finish, and very low contrast... Like the effect you get on a hazy day looking into the distance. That keeps people's focus on the foreground. I would take a photo and then play with it on the computer, cropping it, sizing it, and pulling down the contrast until the color is faded. Then print it out on a flat type paper and glue it onto a backboard with rubber cement. You might have to do it a few times, but it would probably look good. Especially if it was a shadow box type of setting.

Dave
Los Angeles, CA

-DPDP Model Accessories-
http://eje.railfan.net/dpdp/
 _GOTOTOP