_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M5 gun tractor - Hobby Fan vs Cromwell?
ziggyfoos
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 09:29 AM UTC
Besides the price difference, is either the Hobby Fan or Cromwell "better" than the other? I'm looking to get either one or the other so I'm interested in any general comments about either kit or recommendations.

Thanks,
Steve
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 04:53 PM UTC
Can't comment on the quailty of Hobby Fan kits since I have never built any, but I did build a Cromwell kit years ago,and it basicly fell together. I don't know about their quailty now days, this was pre-plastic teeth days.
earwig61
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 188 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 03:35 PM UTC
Hi Steve, I just built up a hobby fan M5. I guess you could go to my posts and photos and take a look and read some comments. If you have any specific questions, please shoot. I'm still learning how to get around this site, so if I don't answer, I'm not awol, just trying to read my map. Tom
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 03:37 PM UTC
Welcome Tom, good to have you aboard.
earwig61
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 05:00 PM UTC
Thank you for the hearty welcome!
ziggyfoos
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 02:45 AM UTC
Tom, saw your earlier post:
Quoted Text

Last week I finished my resin "hobby fan" M5 High Speed Tractor in 1/35. What a bear!

By being a "bear" I assume that means it was a struggle to build?

Thanks,
Steve
earwig61
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 05:56 AM UTC
Hi Steve, If you build with resin much, I guess it's par for the course. Be ready to gently bend small and large parts to normal position by use of a hair dryer on LOW. Also, get hacking to remove those tiny pieces from big mold blocks, and be ready to cut, file , sand, and putty for proper fits. Directions are very sketchy as well. Not a novice kit by any stretch. I consider myself experienced enough to be dangerous, so please take that into account. The individual plastic track links aren't too bad, and this has never been a specialty of mine. The plus is there is a nice "heft" about this kit, and alot of the assembly is done for you in the way of single large pieces, with some neat detail. Bottom line is this model filled a bill that was tough to fill - not alot of options out there. I didn't even know about that other kit that was mentioned in an earlier post. Nice to hear from you, Tom
 _GOTOTOP