_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Webmaster Woes
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 05:56 AM UTC
I was not going to post openly about this (having informed the staff last week), but I figured with as many people that use and visit this site it would be dumb not to. Last week I was let go from my job. This is rather devistating news for my wife and me as we are in none too great shape financially to begin with. Damn credit cards! (shakes fist at virtual sky)

Anyways... while I am looking for another good full-time employer here in the Fresno area (or a telecommute job) I am going to do as much freelance/contract web jobs that I can. So...if you or anyone you know needs some web work please let me know. You can visit my company web site here for more info:

www.wanderingknights.com

Also (sadly) if the money situation does not change there will be no way I can afford to go to IPMS Nats this year in Pheonix. Very sad about that.

Thanks for your support.

Jim
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 06:19 AM UTC
Terrible news, Jim, hate to hear it. After having been out of work (Aviation Industry+09/11/01= Layoffs) for 2 years and only returning last year around this time I can totally sympathize with the Mountain of Debt issues. However, as you appear to have much more marketable and useful skills, lets hope your 'hiatus' will be brief. I know it's an insignificant amount to offer at this point, but now that my Car is sold, I'm ready to enlist in the A-Guard, Gold level. If you could PM me with an address to which I might send the M.O., I'll get it in the mail posthaste(Paranoia prevents on-line payment). If there's an address somewhere on the site that handles this, just direct me there & I'll take care of it!
Just try to remember-"one door closes, another opens-if not, grab a sledgehammer & maker yer own 'damn door!"
RobH
crossbow
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,387 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 06:19 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

Sorry to hear that you are out of a job now.

I hope you find something new and exciting very soon.

Kris
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 06:21 AM UTC
Jim,

So sorry to hear about your current employment situation. I know what that's like because I have been there myself and if things don't improve soon I may find myself in that position again.

I will keep my eyes and ears open for anything that might be of interest to you.

Cheer up! Things happen for areason...don't they

That's what my wife always says. Everything will work itself out. I guess you need to close one door (old job) for another to open (new job).
cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 469 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 06:37 AM UTC
Sorry to hear about that Jim. We're practically in the same boat right now but with your talent as a webmaster I know you'll find another job soon.
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,305 posts
Armorama: 591 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 07:38 AM UTC
Jim,
I am sorry for you and your wife to hear that news. I wish you the luck, but you have skill. That's much better than luck.
Ciao for now
Rob
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 03:35 PM UTC
Sorry to hear the news Jim,
Nothing to be ashamed of, and happy that you shared your woes here, that's what we are here for, beside modelling, I find that getting to know people also means getting to care about them in other areas of their lives also.

I have personally learned through many trials and tribulations (have 3 open hearts and you'll understand that statement) that some times the only thing I could do was to just trust God, so I did and everything turned out according to His plan, and still does. I just wonder why HE decides for something to happen in my life, but then I find out, it's to make me grow and become more of the person HE wants me to be.

OK.... so much for my little sermonette......
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 779 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 03:57 PM UTC
I see that you are a very skilled web designer, and I hope that it gets you in a job where people apreciate you
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 06:46 PM UTC
I feel for you Jim. I've been redundant three times now and only just got back into work after a year out.
Chin up, stiff upper lip, somethings gonna turn up.
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 08:37 PM UTC
Hi Jim
Sorry to hear your news,fingers crossed that something turns up soon.
Pete
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 09:28 PM UTC
Jim, I am sorry to hear the bad news. But I am sure that A guy with the skills you posess you wont be out long. Head up and keep pluggin.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 09:46 PM UTC
Well I've been in the same situation and knowing your resourcefulness you'll get through this time and be able to look back on it and be glad it is over. Having Armorama on your resumé is a very strong merit! You also have the loyal admiration of thousands of modellers around the globe, that alone should speak volumes to any presumtive employer. It is difficult now, but as the others have said, chin up, chest out and continue forward...
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 03:23 PM UTC
As I sit here and try to think of something encouraging to say, I remember the time I lost my job to a "reduction in force" refered to as a RIF by my employer. Those three letters on the paperwork I received really changed my outlook on life.

I know you will come through this and will find something soon. Your talent is obvious to all who have watched this site grow to what it is today. My thoughts are with you.

Patrick
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 09:17 AM UTC
So very sorry to hear of your situation Jim. I've been blessed that I've never been out of work more than a couple of weeks in my life but I know several good people at my present job who haven't been so lucky. I hope all the best for you.

I'll PM or email you with this as well but my wife just happens to be thinking of starting a web page for a business she's trying to get off the ground. I don't know how much she, meaning I, can pay but we'd be interested in taking to you about it. Answer my mail and we'll see what we can work out.

Good luck and hang in there. As my wife says, when God closes one door he opens another.

firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 790 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 04:05 PM UTC
Good Luck & GodSpeed
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 11:55 PM UTC
I am very soory to hear that Jim and i sincerely hope that u ll find a new job to keep your financial good.
Wish u good luck from my heart

Costas
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 05:15 AM UTC
Thanks all. I appriciate the thoughts.

Hard to believe it has been 2 weeks + now. Time files even when you aren't working.

Cheers,
Jim
Paul_Owen
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 108 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 05:52 AM UTC
Heck, if you want a contract... I have work coming out of my ears. I am turning down a lot of stuff. It is mostly server-side EE stuff now in Java wiith some PHP for the web. All the PHP has to be strongly object orientated if you're interested.

I also need to have a company web-site designed for myself :-)

Paul.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 06:04 AM UTC
Sorry to hear about the job loss, Jim. Good luck in the job search.
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,055 posts
Armorama: 530 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 08:23 AM UTC
Sorry to hear about it Jim. Just remember...the Good Lord doesn't give you anything you can't handle. Thanks for your time and good luck.
 _GOTOTOP