_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
starting my first model
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 1,430 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 10:11 AM UTC
Hiya Guys,
Well last nite i sat down and started in on building my very first model. I am working on a U.S. Tank M41 Walker Bulldog. I have been told by several of the members that this would be a great first build so ..here i go. Upon starting i found myself strangely excited, losing myself in the work. I am definately enjoying it. i had no idea how much sanding i would have to do on the wheels..lol. Very tedious work. Anyway, ill be getting my camera ready and getting some pictures of my progress soon.
Thanks again for everyones help.
Mary
Francisco
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 343 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 10:20 AM UTC
Modelling is a great thing, and I still remenber my first builds when I was 13 or so For 8 years now, I've been building planes and whatever, but only yesterday I started my first tank! It's a King Tiger in 72nd to by put in an Ardennes scenery with some "backing-soda" snow and whatever more I've always had that feeling to build dios and with the loads of info I found here I just had to start!As soon as I get a camera (maybe this month) I'll post some pics

tankysgal1 just remember somethin: get away from thet urge to see the model finished..be pacient and when you think it doesnt look good enough, just stop, because it is..and if you can just start another kit

cya
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 01:48 PM UTC
Awwwww to be bit by the modeling bug!!! Now your hooked Can't wait to see what you do with it. Kevin
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 779 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 01:52 PM UTC
Nice, it's a nice start, it looks like you are now hooked after that you can try the real thing: German WWII armor!!
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
Armorama: 1,174 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 04:46 PM UTC
hello enjoy your first tank so it wont be your last one
the best part about this hobby is that a project is never over. sure you put it on a shelf, but for those like me, how long does it stay there for? mine dont stay long and i re-paint them or try different things on the older models, that kinda how i manage to limit the amount of models on display. but it also makes my mom go " frank, why should i buy you a new model when you end up throwing it away because you tried to many thigns on it after a year!" but hey, if i want to learn new things, why try it on new stuff?

Frank
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 04:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hiya Guys,

dont forget about the gurls
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 06:32 PM UTC
Nice start u choosed Mary . I hope u wont be dissapointed from all the junk work of clearing and sanding and all that. Besides as u say many people find that very relaxing.
Keep on and try to post updates so we can give a hand of help ..if needed.

Costas
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 08:09 PM UTC
good one Mary. Glad to see at least that it is not an aeroplane LOL :-) .

Keep at it girl and keep us informed on progress.
IGI
Visit this Community
Thessaloniki, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 51 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 08:15 PM UTC
Good luck with your first model Mary. I wish you enjoy it.
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 08:35 PM UTC
No turning back now woman!

Seriously, it'll be fun. Just take a look around at all the flags of each member.

If you feel that your first build is awfull, ask me to e-mail you mine.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 02:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Upon starting i found myself strangely excited, losing myself in the work.

After over 40 years the excitment hasn't worn off, guess that's part of the fun of this hobby. I still get excited, and lose myself, I call it enjoyment and relaxation.
When fustration sets in, simply put it down and come back later.

Good luck, and enjoy it, take your time, it's YOUR model, no one elses, no rush to finish, and you find you will put a little of yourself into each one you do.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 04:00 AM UTC
Great first choice. Looking forward to seeing the progress pics.
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 681 posts
Armorama: 452 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 02:54 PM UTC
Welcome

I felt the same way, Now I use modeling as a way of relaxing your mind and be a part of history that the model is from.

Once you get hooked on modeling and you can never go back to being normal. #:-)

There have been some post lately stating that they have gone mental on the hobby. Pretty soon your stash will grow and you know your hooked when you walk into a LHS and have to buy a kit.

I have been doing ships for years and now I found this site I started armor. When I first started I was afraid to weather my armor model. These wonderful people have helped me understand even mistakes can be fixed.

I can not wait to see the updates on your kit.

Happy Modeling
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 05:53 AM UTC
Thanks Everyone,
Thank you all for your encourageing words and comments. Ill keep ya posted on my progress. I finally got all the road wheels done, that was a pain, darn sanding. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions that will help im always glad to listen, i am a beginner you know..
Thanks Again,
Mary
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 03:48 AM UTC
Good luck Mary, keep us up to date, can't wait to see it.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 04:30 AM UTC
Hi Mary,
Here's a thought about sanding.After a part is nipped off the sprue,sand that point.then look on the part to see if there are places where 2 mold halves met.There may be a slight line,sand that,and you will have a piece that will fit well to others.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 04:48 AM UTC
A quick way to sand wheels, is to slice off the attachment points, fix the wheel to a dremel or drill with a plastic rod, then hold some sandpaper to the edge/side as it spins. Takes all the work out of it. I did this with the last sherman I built, and it made what is usually a chore into something that took no time at all.

Fair play to ya Mary. We need more female modellers. Any pictures yet?
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 05:10 AM UTC
Thanks everyone for you suggestions and comments so far. I have a whole new respect for model building now that i am actually doing one myself. I never knew that there was so much involved in putting a kit together.
If anyone has any tips or tricks for painting, i could surely use them. I find that in my painting im noticing a lot of brush strokes and not really sure how to avoid that. Thanks again..
Mary
A-Train
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 715 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 05:58 AM UTC
i hate sanding
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 06:09 AM UTC
Congratulations on your first kit Mary, re the strokes in the paint try thinning it a little it tends to flow better.good brushes are a help i use sables they keep their shape better but dont use them for weathering it will ruin them. good luck with your build.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 06:21 AM UTC
dont forget to clean you brush realy well or else they wont stay good for long, i know what iam talking about iam an expert at ruining my brushes

have acces to an AB ? if so, id suggest practicing on some old models you may find, or on a piece of paper... how you liek to thin your paint and the pressure to use will naturaly come with practice

Frank

hey, any pics yet? iam realy anxious to see them and iam sure everyone else is!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 08:10 AM UTC
Good deal glad to see you're well under way.
Sanding road wheels is only surpassed in boardom by indi-links - at least its not a churchill

I have learned to be afraid of medium to rough grade sand paper. Use it first on a few swipes then work down to the fine stuff, it makes it go by a lot faster. I used to be afraid of taking off to much and staying with the finner stuff and it took forever. Then it got to me one day and I just went at it carefully.

Painting, try a wide brush also.

If you want just a good base coat you can try to get one of the inexpensive (< $20) single action testors versions that use an air can. It won't do camo or thin lines but it would give you a nice overall OD or German Gray base to work on.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 08:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If anyone has any tips or tricks for painting, i could surely use them. I find that in my painting im noticing a lot of brush strokes and not really sure how to avoid that.

Before I bought my airbrush, I used spray cans for most of the base painting. Great coverage and I found it easy to detail paint afterwards. All weathering was made afterwards with the brush, so there was never problems with brush strokes.
Only downside was it took a lot of masking for camo. I stuck to monotone vehicles.
A tin of OD, or german yellow/grey did about 2 models! I thought this was a betterway to go until i got my compressor and airbrush!
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 09:04 AM UTC
Now you've done it, I made my first kit at 7years old and 41 years later..............................you're first attempt won't be as bad as mine - I painted an Airfix Hawker Hurricane gloss red with black stripes, even the canopy!
Any help or advice - just ask.
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 01:51 AM UTC
Thanks Guys, and (Gals),

All of your tips and suggestions are very welcome. I plan on trying to get my digi cam working so i can post some pics of my progress really soon. I cant get my cam to talk to my pc for some reason. But anyway, thanks for everything , and by all means if anyone has anymore tips or suggestion please feel free to let me know. Also..if anyone has any pics of a Bulldog that they would like to share, i would love to see a finished kit. Thanks again to everyone,
Mary
 _GOTOTOP