_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Are we panzer builders out numbered
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 05:36 AM UTC
Its getting that way,like ww2, shermans are out weighing the panzers.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 05:47 AM UTC
Its just a phase they´re going through.
When I started modelling 3 years ago, everybody was building tigers. Then it was panthers for a while. Now its shermans. To tell you the truth, after 3.5 sherman based models, Im a bit bored with them.
Im glad there is a rise overall, in Allied ... especially commonwealth vehicles. ´The german thing is OK, but I like to see it balanced.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 05:55 AM UTC
Hi, I agree with Plasitcbattle here. Different modelers go through phases, depending on what kits are offered by the manufacturers, and how good they are. I realy enjoy the German stuff myself, but lately have been really into T-34s and such. But eventually that will change to something else. Which is good, that way we get a well-rounding education in not only building AFVs of different nationalities, but also learn more about each nation's AFV development and be able to compare them to other nation's AFVs of a certain time period.

Take care, Sgirty
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 06:11 AM UTC
I think it may appear that way here because a few of us Shermanaholics post frequently. My model club is way way overwhelmingly Axis. on ML it's probably also majority Axis. I just don't see too many Axis advocates here on the Big A although I see alot of individual axis builders.
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 06:40 AM UTC
i go though stages.
i have allways built german armor.
but it kinda gets stale,
iam on the american armor kick right now.
with all the sherman talk lol,
i jumped on the band wagon so to speak,
but i have a few german kits lined up after my shermans are done,
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 779 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 07:36 AM UTC
it doesn't matter because in the end we stick to what we like. it is an advantage that different kits are released, and I hope manufacturers notice the hype for shermans. Don't worry tigerIV, panzer will always be the lord
Hawkeye
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 701 posts
Armorama: 640 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 08:51 AM UTC
I would say 99% of my models are German,the other 1% are either Israeli or modern US tanks.

Regards from the Swamp

Hawkeye
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 08:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's a good thing. Isn't it?
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 09:21 AM UTC
I just re-read the opening post. I guess it's not good enough for Shermanaholics to model scale tanks but we need to model scale production schedules as well
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 415 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 10:13 AM UTC
I started modeling in 1971 and the majority of 1/35th models at that time was German, only a handful of models were allied. The German armor was much better covered. So naturally, I built a lot of Axis armor.

German armor is still better covered than the Allied armor, but there are great Allied models out there now and more on the way.

In fact, I'm taking a break from the Axis stuff and building a pair of Crusaders. Then it will be back to the Axis vehicles. After all, who can resist a Bison 1b?
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 10:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That's a good thing. Isn't it?

Kinda what I was thinking.

After all, it was the Allies that won the war.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 10:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

After all, who can resist a Bison 1b?

Yeah! If I were a Shermie gunner that would be my dream target... nice high silouette
ave
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
KitMaker: 417 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 04:19 PM UTC
i agree
just look at the latest posts, at least 4 or 5 threads are about shermans
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 09:42 PM UTC
I believe we all have our favorites, like the British want more of their armor made, and there is some of us that like to see more U.S. armor made.
Seems everybody likes to see something from their own country, and you can't blame them for that.

It's amazing that there is so many interesting subjects used in war, that the model companies can't make them all at once, but where to start for a guaranteed profit.
Leopold
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 446 posts
Armorama: 235 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 10:41 PM UTC
but i think there are too many german kits comapred to the allied in the market
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 12:46 AM UTC
There is enough stuff out there for everybody. I have a ton of everything, WW2 German and US, and a bunch of modern US. Now I,m looking at Russian with the purchase of the T-55. Soon someone will create a top notch T-62 and T-72, and the I'll be off to the races with a Russian collection. So those of you who stick to one type of vehicle. BOO HOO , or quit complaining
DRAGONWAGON
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 501 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 12:52 AM UTC
It's not that I don't like German armor, a nice Tiger I or II and a Panther once in a while is very nice to do.....but it seems I have a soft spot fot the Sherman....

I guess it's just in my blood!!

Greetz, John.
M-60-A3
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 808 posts
Armorama: 479 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 12:54 AM UTC
Panzer builders out numbered? Nah. Just out classed!
Easy folks, I'm only kidding. I couldn't resist. Actually I could have, but chose not to.
I have a few German kits myself. Need something for the Shermans to beat up on.
Now everyone take a deep breath and have a good day.
Regards,
Joe
Leopold
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 446 posts
Armorama: 235 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 12:56 AM UTC
i am dying for variations of shermans like the mineroller, the callopie rocket etc..and also some modern tanks
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 01:38 AM UTC
German stuff is widly cover by a lot of manufacters, I think that this is why there are so many Panzer builders. I like to build German stuff and also I consider myself a Shermanholic for periods. That means that for periods of about 3 to 4 months I only build, research and read about Shermans, then I change to the German Panzers again mixed with some Russian armor in the midle for other period.
I would love to see that the offer of Sherman kits grows.
BudOne
Visit this Community
Ireland
KitMaker: 16 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 01:49 AM UTC
I must admit to being stuck on German stuff so far, because it interests me and helped by the fact that there's such a wide and cheap range of subjects out there - important when you're still gaining in skill and confidence. It may well be a phase (does anyone like painting rubber tyres on 32 roadwheels? and that's excluding any spares on deck!) and I've already been eyeing up a KV and a Pershing. So much to do, so little time ...
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 06:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Soon someone will create a top notch T-62 and T-72

There is already a topnotch T-72...came out over 10 years ago

Has the wrong turret for what Tamiya tells you on the box though...its not a M1 Turret

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 06:49 AM UTC
Why worry about who's out numbering whom? It seem that just about all genres are getting a decent amount of new kits released.

There are probably not many modelers who only build one specific genre. Even though there those of you who are known for mainly building German, Allied, Shermans, modern, etc. I bet the vast majority have a kit or two in the stash that is not in their normal range of kits.

For instance, I'm known as a modern armor builder, but I have over a dozen Sherman kits and several dozen WW2 Allied kits combined. I even have a good amount of WW2 German kits in my collection with at least two of each type of panzer (I, II, III, IV, V, VI) and several half-tracks and various wheeled vehicles.

I build what I feel like building, although the group builds tend to get me leaning towards certain kits. I will admit that this site tends to learn towards WW2 Allied and Western-aligned modern armor builders.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 09:47 AM UTC
Me like panzer, panzer..panzer...panzer! Me like lot's of Panzer! Panzer..Panzer...Panzer! Now me like US stuf too! Sherman,M-18..M-10...M-36, Stuart and of course PANZER...PANZER...PANZER!!!!!!!!!!!!
This has been a word from our sponsor: "YODA MODELING"! Thanks..and happy modelling!
BODEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN
Maddawg
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 11:33 AM UTC
This is my opinion, I'm a Panzer man. With all the after market markings out there, you can build so many variations of German armor. I like that I can build 5 panzer IV's and they all can have different markings and camo patterns from different units.Then I can also build Panzers from early versions to late and final versions.
 _GOTOTOP