_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
The Hard Ride book
PiotrS
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 03:25 PM UTC
Hi guys!

I'm thinking about buying James Lyles book "The Hard Ride". I've read short description on Gunnie's site but still not sure if it's worth to buy. There's a lot of interesting photos in the net. Please advice me, for better understanding my problem imagine that this book is worth 100 $ - would you buy it?
Did you heard anything about volume 2?

Piotr
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 06:23 PM UTC
Piotrek,

Why would you need to pay 100 bucks for it??? Is anyone offering it to you at this price in our country?... Forget it!

The book is just $29.95 at Mission Models, plus about $10 for shipping costs - and it is definitely worth that much! At $100 it is no longer such a good value, unless you are real guntruck nut - after all it is not Hunnicutt!

If you want it, but cannot get it from Mission yourself, let me know - I'll order one for me soon anyway, so I can ask Jon to send me two.

Pawel
PiotrS
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 07:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Piotrek,

Why would you need to pay 100 bucks for it??? Is anyone offering it to you at this price in our country?... Forget it!

I know that price is about 30$, I wrote "imagine that it's 100" because I think that 30 bucks in my small budget is comparable to 100 in USA :-)
For me it's rather big price for one book so I did'n wanted to get reply like: buy it, it's only 30 bucks
Thanks for your offer I'll consider this.

Piotr
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 914 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 08:04 PM UTC
$30 ,- is noet really expensive for a book. Actually it is a normal price tag. But as you said, everybody has his own (lack of) budget.....
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 08:22 PM UTC
I have the book and served with James Lyles the Author. If you want authentic information about or Gun Trucks and the crews that served on them, then I highly recommend the book. Vol 2 will be coming out soon. We are waiting for it to be printed. I have some of my work in the second volume as I have in volume 3..
PiotrS
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 08:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have some of my work in the second volume as I have in volume 3..

Animal, that's very sad - another 30$ to spend
Just kidding, that's great news. I didn't knew you took part in writing this book. What will be included in volume 3 and when can we expect it?

Piotr
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 09:11 PM UTC
Not sure when it will come out. It takes forever to get the books to print. Volume two has been finished for a year now and still waiting for the books. Volume three is almost done. I only contributed photos of my gun truck models. James Lyles is the Master Gun Trucker who makes it all happen. A lot of old Vets sent in photos and info about our time in Nam and James puts it in a narrative way for all to enjoy.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 09:23 PM UTC
Well, all I can add is that I wouldn't endorse something if it wasn't a good information resource or value for the subject matter. The series as it is shaping up is well worth it for historical photography. If you're looking for a high-quality modeling series, like the new Osprey Modeling volumes - this isn't it.

It was an honor to be included in Volume One, and perhaps I might have something included in Volume Two as well. That would be a treat...

I have high hopes that one day a book might be devoted to the modeling aspect and does attract world-class modelers to the volume.

Gunnie
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 10:01 PM UTC
That book is in the works Gunnie.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 10:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That book is in the works Gunnie.

That's a great thing to hear!

Gunnie
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2004 - 01:21 AM UTC
IF I remembor correctly .... per my conversations w/ James... is that Vol 2 will have more info on the V-100 & V-150's...... but my memory may be failing me!!!
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2004 - 02:41 AM UTC
You are right Matt and there will be more photos of the MUTT and M-37 3/4 ton gun Jeeps and Trucks also. Along with a lot more photos of some of the models that were recreated of the trucks.
 _GOTOTOP