Hosted by Darren Baker
My first tank ;) Tiger II
Francisco
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 343 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 04:56 AM UTC
Well I guess I'm turning away from planes...tanks are definitly nice to build and I enjoy the research as well I had to build a Tiger II so, after a lot of research, I'm trying to depict Tiger 222 crossing the bridge at Stavelot, during the second day of the Battle of the Bulge. This will lead me to constructing the bridge out of foam, it being the centre part of a nice dio I'm planing to do Sorry for the bad photos but I''m still learning how to work with my digicam. The tank is primed dark yellow but the track are almost done, needing some drybrushing. Please comment on how could I improve what I've made already

PS: I learned almost all I know reading articles from armorama

Cya!

siegmund
Visit this Community
Slovenia
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 05:06 AM UTC
Interesting. Whose King Tiger is it?
Whisky-Delta
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 152 posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 05:26 AM UTC
looking good, i must say however the difference between a good Tiger 2 and a fantastic Tiger 2, is applying Zimmeret. You may have heard of it in your research, its anti magnatic mine paste which gives the tank a rough texture which IRL are about 2cm grooves due to the paste lines. I am not sure how you get it, apply it, or if it is applyable to your specific model. Just a little observation dont feel bothered if you decide not to bother with it.

Looking good, keep up the good work
Francisco
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 06:03 AM UTC
yep, I've heard a lot about zimmerit! And what an headache! This one in particular didnt have it, so it's ok. However I want to try to apply zimmeritt to a kit using tamiya putty, seems challenging.
This is one of the KT's going to the 509th that were rerouted to the 501st SS for the Ardennes Offensive. The SS 1st tank regiment under Peiper Kampf Gruppe for the Ardennes Offensive from 16 December 1944 was composed of the s.SS Pz.Abt. 501 and the 1st tank battalion. Uscha. Kurt Sowa's King Tiger 222 belonged to the 2nd platoon(Ustuf. Georg Hantusch) of the 2nd company(Stubaf. Rolf Mobious), the s.SS Pz.Abt. 501(Stubaf. Rolf von Westerhagen). His King Tiger 222 was completed at Henshel between September(or August) and October(or November) 1944, and zimmerit was dropped in mid september 44.

Cya!!
siegmund
Visit this Community
Slovenia
KitMaker: 87 posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 03:01 PM UTC
You're right, zimmerit was canceled in late '44.
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 533 posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 03:46 PM UTC
is it just me? i cant see it...
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 06:33 PM UTC
Hi,

Quoted Text

... However I want to try to apply zimmeritt to a kit using tamiya putty, seems challenging. ...

At the section in portuguese you have Zimmerit, the translation of an article by Paul Owen about zimmerit and how to do it.

HTH
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,305 posts
Armorama: 591 posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 09:43 PM UTC
Ciao Francisco,
Great job on the tracks and wheels! This one is going to look great when you're done!
Ciao for now
Rob
Francisco
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 07:34 PM UTC
Thank you all for your comments I'll try to do the cammo squeme this week...I'll try to do it free-hand with my airbrush because it seems this cammo was done with a cloth at the time...Another challenge for me

Bye all!
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 03:02 AM UTC
Actually this was a very well done soft edge ambush scheme done in the factory ...so you can have fun with your airbrush no problem.

Rick
p.s. I would suggest yellow numbers only but that is up for debate ..but the pictures I have seem to back me up ...Maybe heavier outline but still just yellow... If you need some pictures I could e-mail you a few.
Francisco
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 04:52 PM UTC
Hey guys!

First of all thank you for your comments Well, while I was looking for some info about this particular tank I received the following answer in the axis history forum (amazing place to visit if you like WW II german history)

visit here --» http://forum.axishistory.com/index.php

Quoted Text

Hi Francisco,

If you do decide to do 222 near the Stavelot bridge, pay close attention to the camoflage pattern in the photos. 222 had the "ambush scheme" dots, but it was apparently painted by spray instead of brush, and it had a different pattern from most of the other tanks of s. SS-Pz.Abt. 501 seen in the Ardennes. Many of those seem to have had a "standard" pattern with the ambush dots and very similar overall brush-painted schemes (008, 105, 204, 213, and some others that don't show the turret numbers in photos).

It's possible that 222's paint was different because it may have been one of 11 Tiger IIs that were built in Sep 44 and originally delivered to s. Pz.Abt. 509, but taken away and given to SS-501 in early Dec 44. I have no proof of this, but Tiger 332 (now at Fort Knox) was apparently one of those 11, and it was painted by spray (but with no "ambush" dots).

You'll also see some differences of opinion in the color of the 222 turret numbers. In some of the photos and films (it was filmed at different locations by two SS-Kriegsberichter teams) it looks like the turret numbers are a lighter color with no outlines. Other photos look like a light shade, with an even lighter outline. No hard evidence either way. The other 2. Kompanie numbers showing in photos (204, 213) look like they're probably the usual red-white.

At any rate, 222 didn't have the same paint scheme as many of the rest of the SS-501 tanks, so the surviving photos have to be the guide.

Regards,
Greg

Quoted Text

Armorama Richard Craig:
222 were in yellow only...This is one of the KT's going to the 509th and were rerouted to the 501st SS for the Ardennes Offensive

Romanowski
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 05:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

looking good, i must say however the difference between a good Tiger 2 and a fantastic Tiger 2, is applying Zimmeret. You may have heard of it in your research, its anti magnatic mine paste which gives the tank a rough texture which IRL are about 2cm grooves due to the paste lines. I am not sure how you get it, apply it, or if it is applyable to your specific model. Just a little observation dont feel bothered if you decide not to bother with it.

Looking good, keep up the good work

Tiger 222 did not have Zimmerit...for the reasons stated earlier in this thread.

But I agree, it does look rather nice.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 11:56 AM UTC
According to Osprey, 501's King Tigers were typically painted (possibly just the newly-issued) in a base color of red primer with green and dark yellow stripes and patches. Some were finished with ambush spots.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 12:05 PM UTC
As an addendum, Warriors has released two resin sets, of four figures each, of German infantry, marching, in winter parkas, in 1/72. From the tiny pics of them in VLS' update they look pretty fantastic.
Might be useful in a diorama.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 11:06 AM UTC
Addendum to the addendum. Warriors also makes a set (or two) of German tank riders, also in winter attire. I just picked up set #1, so there mst be a set #2 somewhere in the works, at my LHS. They are very nice. Four seated resin figs.
Pegasus, the company that produces the 1/72 Maus also has a set of early war SS figs. There's some 45 to a box. Although these are soft plastic, they are the best I've ever seen - much better than Airfix, better than Revell, Italeri, or Hat. All are in various combat poses (unfortunately no casualties) with surprisingly intricate details for this scale. All are dressed in SS camo smocks, helmet covers, and jackboots, circa. 1940 - 1943 ( or even beyond). From Pegasus' website it appears that another set with heavy infantry weapons is forthcoming, as well as a set of US infantry.
 _GOTOTOP