155mm howitzer for my grandfather
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 12:46 PM UTC
Hey guys,

Here is a 155mm howitzere for my grandfather, who was part of a crew of one in Vietnam. The kit is a stock Italeri/testors kit. It is painted in Tamiya paints, metalizers and "air-opaque" paints in a arts-and crafts style bottle. It was dry brushed with humbrol zinc chromate,m then had a black/brown wash all over, with further pastel dusting. The helmet is a stock tamiya M-1with putty cover, painters tape helmet band,and plastic sheet cigarettes.It was then painted in various acrylics. The first picture is one of his gun in vietnam 69. His gun was named "Belligerent Banshee", but until I get further reference from my grandmother, this is not painted on yet. The model and base will be prresented to him on his birthday next week.

generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 09:15 PM UTC
Lord Stomp
I knee I knee That is one great lookin piece of artillery That is a good thing you are doing for your grandfather I did notice that on the front view pic that the right tire is mounted at an angle Any way of fixing that?
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,305 posts
Armorama: 591 posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 09:22 PM UTC
Ciao David,
Nice gun tube!! You should have added a figure of your grandfather to it. I think that is going to be a much appreciated birthday gift!
Ciao for now
Rob
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 10:11 PM UTC
Looks nice dave, and I'm sure your Grand-dad in really going to be happy and proud of it.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 01:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

on the front view pic that the right tire is mounted at an angle Any way of fixing that?

I realized that soon after I took the pics, so its fixed now.

Quoted Text

You should have added a figure of your grandfather to it

I would have, but the only vietnam figures carried in the area are two resin ones,and the price is 20 bucks. This has to be done soon, so I wasn't able to get them. And mailorder would take to long.
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 681 posts
Armorama: 452 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 01:24 AM UTC
They say that the Hand Made gifts mean more than one's bought in a store. I still have a card my little girl made in macorroni in art when she was in pre-school.

The model will speak for itself it is wonderfully done and he will probably be honored you though that up for him.

I feel bad for people coming back from that War it wasn't like recent wars where there were parades. This country didn't understand that war at all. There was a deeper meaning to it than just the civil war there in Vietnam.

He'll love it for years.Nice job on model.

Happy Modeling
airwarrior
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 03:35 AM UTC
Oh, I forgot to mention, this is also my "Incoming!" Campaign entry.

_GOTOTOP