_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
ranky types
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2004 - 04:09 AM UTC
this is just a suggestion, but do you think we could get german ww2 ranks? i think that would be pretty neat, i already know you're busy w/ the site, but...just a little suggestion

-shain
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2004 - 04:29 AM UTC
I know Jim has banned the use of SS ranks, and I believe he also mentioned that there will be no WW2 German ranks either. It may not be in this thread, but he has stated it before in the forums.
SS rank requests
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2004 - 04:38 AM UTC
Actually I was always planning to add some non-SS German ranks. But I just haven't found the time as yet. Part of the problem is that the insignia's are so varied we were having a tough time coming up with what worked best.

I will give it another look.

Jim
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2004 - 04:48 AM UTC
My personal opinion is that there should be no WWII Nazi ranks on Armorama. May be modern German, but not of The Great Patriotic War. The fact is, they killed millions of people and I would not want Armorama to be associated with that stuff, even if it is just a rank.
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 779 posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2004 - 05:10 AM UTC
oh, that's really sad you know, I would have liked to have those SS insignias, but if no one agrees then I don't expect Staff_Jim to make them just for me, but how about some wehrmacht insignias then? I mean, half the modelling world models German armor and figures, so where did you guys base your opinion on no SS insignias? I would just like to understand the logic on this decision if there is any.

bye
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,055 posts
Armorama: 530 posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2004 - 05:29 AM UTC
Well, I suppose we should take a poll first, but if you you guys really want some, I have a book of WWII insignias and it has Wehrmacht, Luftwaffe, and Kriegsmarine ranks. It also has Waffen-SS, but as mentioned before, these are a big no-no. Thanks for your time.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2004 - 02:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

oh, that's really sad you know, I would have liked to have those SS insignias, but if no one agrees then I don't expect Staff_Jim to make them just for me, but how about some wehrmacht insignias then? I mean, half the modelling world models German armor and figures, so where did you guys base your opinion on no SS insignias? I would just like to understand the logic on this decision if there is any.

bye

I can't remember where or when the decision was made about SS ranks, but remember that Armorama is a truely international site; and includes members from nations that were under the 'Nazi Jackboot' between 1939 and 1945. Memories are still painfull to some people and JIm will not willingly cause offence to any member. Such offence could have an adverse effect on the sites popularity and reputation.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2004 - 06:47 PM UTC
If nothing else, this is Jim's site. So If he says no, well then there in lies the logic!!
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2004 - 09:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If nothing else, this is Jim's site. So If he says no, well then there in lies the logic!!

Bingo!!!
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 02:17 AM UTC
Sounds logical to me.

Besides it's not like we have a total ban on SS related images or subject matter. I would just prefer not to go down the road of having SS ranks.

Jim
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 03:55 AM UTC
OK, that is understood, thanks
JohanW
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
KitMaker: 143 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 03:56 AM UTC
Being a modern US modeler, I'm not really waiting on WW2 german insignas, but I can't see a problem in it..

I do in general agree with the no SS-ranks, but wehrmacht, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine..... why not...

Those guys were only doing there job, banning them because they started 2 wars and killed innocent people is a, in my humble opinion, a lame excuse....

The russians, during the communist period killed as many, if not more people as the germans...
Belgium did some nice things when we still "owned" Congo, America nuked Japan,......... should I go on?

My point is, the SS did some over the top stuff, but if we ban a complete country because of their actions in the past, we should ban all countries.....

PS. Jimm, I don't know if I have to address you, but I noticed a little mistake in the Belgian Corporal rank. The label says "Kaporaal", it should be "Korporaal".........
Paul
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 04:35 AM UTC
It's not banning the whole country, I have nothing against modern or pre WWII German ranks. I, for one, feel very strongly about not having any WWII German ranks seeing as two of my great grand fathers died fighting them and my whole family had to live through the war in occupied Ukraine.
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 05:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The russians, during the communist period killed as many, if not more people as the germans...
Belgium did some nice things when we still "owned" Congo, America nuked Japan,......... should I go on?

oh, yes, you just helped me put in order a few of the thoughts I had before, thanks.

Those who kill thousands of innocent people should be punished, banned, and should be looked upon with askance, as we good friends have all agreed here in Armorama. am I right?

then, is it an act of justice and piety to drop Little boy and Fat Man in two of Japan's most important cities? according to what we all agreed before certainly not.

so based upon the different reaction that people have of two similar events, I dare to inffer that the Jewish kind is more appreciated in the world than the Japanese?

Throughout my life I have appreciated them both the same way, as human beings. I am confused. Was I wrong by thinking in this particular way?

Upon considering the similarity of the events, should SS insignias be any more insulting to those who suffered the Nazi Jackboot, than US insignias to the Japanese who lost their whole family during the nuke and died from cancer?

That was the part I didn't understand, but the part I did understand(and DaveCox helped me on that, thanks)is that Jim made his decision based on that this is an international website, and people may get offended, so Jim did it for the welfare of the site. so no SS insignias.
Paul
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 05:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

then, is it an act of justice and piety to drop Little boy and Fat Man in two of Japan's most important cities? according to what we all agreed before certainly not.

so based upon the different reaction that people have of two similar events, I dare to inffer that the Jewish kind is more appreciated in the world than the Japanese?

Throughout my life I have appreciated them both the same way, as human beings. I am confused. Was I wrong by thinking in this particular way?

As far as I know, we don't have US WWII ranks - we have the modern, that just goes to show my point of having the modern German ranks...
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 05:49 AM UTC
What a surprise! I didn't know German WWII and modern insignias were different! thanks for taking me away from this ignorance. I also didn't know US WWII insignias were different from the modern.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 06:39 AM UTC
Doh....and you guys wonder why there are big delays between adding new ranks?

Jim
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 06:44 AM UTC
If this is going to happen lets just drop the ranks altogether... ::Jim
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 07:06 AM UTC
NO!!! if my questions annoy you guys then I will stop asking them, but don't remove the ranks, so I'll just drop this before I cause any more trouble, bye
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 12:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My personal opinion is that there should be no WWII Nazi ranks on Armorama. May be modern German, but not of The Great Patriotic War. The fact is, they killed millions of people and I would not want Armorama to be associated with that stuff, even if it is just a rank.

i was NOT thinking of SS ranks as i could see people might take offense. i was thinking of the regular ww2 german army enlisted ranks. i just thought that since we have A LOT of ww2 german models and stuff it might be appropiate(for lack of a better word) to have german ranks from ww2...
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 10:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

because they started 2 wars

This statement is HORRIBLY incorrect. The nazis started only ONE war. The nazis didn't even exist until the thirties anyway! The mindset of the german from the two wars was completely different, as was the style the two wars were fought, World War one was a political breakdown, both sides were just pilling on the kindling, waiting for a spark to test their millitary might.

What really makes me sick is that once the words german and war are spoken people automatically think nazi. And this will continue until people cease reading about WW2 in history books. History is often rewritten the way any given side wishes it to be written. If you don't agree look at a text book from the united states. Then look at one from another country. You would be surprised.

That being said, I strongly suggest not using SS ranks, we may be historically minded- everybody else might not.

P.S. Don't care about the Whermacht ranks though
 _GOTOTOP