Hosted by Darren Baker
Streets of Cairo Egypt
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
Armorama: 411 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 04:15 AM UTC
Does anyone know how the streets and/or sidewalks where made in Cairo at the timw of WW2?
capnjock
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 04:30 AM UTC
I'm not sure but I hazard a guess, Probably either sand or paving slabs. Definitly not cobble stones though :-)

Cheers
Henk
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 04:53 AM UTC
Henk, thanks, most of the pictures I have seen do not really show the streets. Buildings yes, but not the street. I am doing a base for a vehicle and I just want a portion of the street and the curb. Thank you
capnjock
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 01:24 PM UTC
G'day mate.
My grandpa was in cairo for a while during WW2, and form the photos hes shown me, there didnt really seem to be any sidewalks, the buildings were generally mudbrick or stone, and the streets were usually lined with stalls, never saw any sidewalks.
hope it helps
cheers
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2004 - 10:21 AM UTC
Thanks for the help guys! I guess a dusty dirt road along side a plaster wall is the way to go. So be it.
capnjock
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2004 - 11:39 AM UTC

These are just a couple of pics I came across on the net. The second one is from 1960, but most of what you see in it dates back to 19430's and 1940's. I know for a fact that downtown Cairo had some cobblestone streets, cause there are a couple of them still around to this day. And they are closed off to cars as a touristic thing. Cairo in those days looked very much like a lot of the European cities because almost all architects back then were either British or French. So it really depends what part in Egypt you are trying to depict. Cairo and Alexandria were both metropolitan cities that resembled European cities. Rural areas were mostly just farms and stuff.

I find it funny how primitive a lot of people think my country was.. and is. When I was in the States, some people there actually thought I lived in a tent and rode a camel. And when I showed them my pic next to my dad's Mercedes, they were shocked!!

I'll try to look for more pics for you in my father's stuff. I may find something that might help you.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2004 - 11:52 AM UTC
Thanks for chiming in on this topic, Hisham! I was hoping someone with personal knowledge (like yourself) would contribute to this thread before I added my two centavos.

I seem to remember seeing WWII newsreel footage that showed the British staying in some pretty up-scale hotels and government buildings during the war. Do you know if any of these are still around?

I always wanted to visit Egypt (almost did a Sinai rotation back in the early 90s, but things changed when Desert Storm kicked off). One of these days I want to see the Pyramids, the Valley of the Kings and Aswan. Some day ...
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2004 - 11:57 AM UTC
[url=http://www.egipto.com/old_foto/ber059.html[/url]

check out this site for some pics of Cairo 1910 - 1930
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2004 - 12:10 PM UTC
http://www.egipto.com/old_foto/
hopefully got it to work......
Taaaaaa Daaaaa... it works........

very interesting photos also.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2004 - 12:22 PM UTC
Thanks Dave, I always forget how to get that URL in there so it would be a hot link.

capnjock.. If you need something like a street sign or a hotel sign in Arabic, let me know. I can help out with that.
 _GOTOTOP