_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Fuel containers in back of M35A2
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2002 - 07:39 PM UTC

I would like to equip my M35A2 model with fuel/water containers that fit on/in the cargo hold. I saw this in several pictures. I do NOT refer to the M49 fuel truck, but to the separate containers with a pump system that can be loaded on a normal cargo truck. I saw them on an M35, but can imagine the same can be fitted on other truck types or used separately.
I am most interested in pictures of the container tops and the fuel pump system and hoses that are in the back of the truckload with the containers. All plans and pictures would be greatly welcome !

Many thanks,

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2002 - 09:01 PM UTC
My Friend--you have quite a challenge ahead of you. The pods you refer to were 600 gallon fuel cells containing either diesel or mogas. They were powered by a terrible Briggs and Stratton pony engine. This damn thing never worked for long so we usually gravity fed the fuel. This process caused us to place the truck on a higher elevation than the supplied vehicle. This was no problem in the desert where we put the truck on a sand dune then pumped. Europe presented it's own set of difficulties. Now the cells are mounted on two wooden cribs. These were locally produced so there is no standard assembly. As best as I recall, a verbal description of this system starts from the rear of the cab. You place the wooden cribs in so that the cells fit on them with the long distance from left to right. Each fuel cell has a hand pump on the top of it and one hose. The pony engine is between the end of the second fuel cell and the rear deck of the vehicle. I blessed the day they issued my battalion 14 HEMTT fuel trucks. Now the GOER is another story. But, the M35A2 fuel system would be the mother of all modeling fabrications. Bon chance....
DJ
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2002 - 09:58 PM UTC
The 500 gallon tanks we had in recent history were mounted in the back of 5 ton trucks, normally an M-923 or M-923A2. This made the vehicle a "system" and it was referred to as a "TPU" or Tank & Pump Unit. The pump was gas driven as DJ said. It normally carried MOGAS or motor gasoline, which is unleaded gasoline. Diesel and later JP8 (jet petroleum #8) is normally carried in the M-978 HEMTTs which had a capacity of 2,500 gallons. Armor battalions had 16 M-978s for fueling up the tanks, trucks and APCs. The TPU was used to fuel the various generators that the unit had for electric power generation and the cooking equipment. Most, if not all equipment in use today runs on diesel or JP8. Smaller units that have mainly HMMWVs or M35A2 series trucks would only have a TPU either mounted on the deuce or 5 ton.
The TPU is designed to fit in the bed of the truck. That way if the truck is inoperable, the TPU can be put in another truck and the "system" won't be down.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 02:13 AM UTC
Rob--if our fine friend can model that monster, he will attain immortality.
DJ :-)
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 04:19 AM UTC

Dear Rob, Dear DJ,
Thank your for all that information !!!
I already built the M35A2 from scratch on 1/15th scale (to match Verlinden's 120 mm figures), so I think I'll survive this one if I can get some better documentation. I very much like the few pictures of the fuel combination in the back. These are walkaround pictures I made in 1992 or '93. The truck was still in the old 1976 four color scheme, dominantly green for the European theatre. Looks pretty cool.
I think I can handle the tanks: I can build one and copy the other in resin. The pony will be much more fun. I have one good pictures of such pony that was stripped from a truck. As you know, a picture shows much but never enough to make a perfect model. Furthermore, since it's stripped I have no clue where the fuel hoses should be leaded and plugged in.
I miss a picture of the container's top as well. I can tell there must be some form or lids on
the top, since there's a rough plan in the TB43-0209 that concerns the color schemes. I hope someone can get me more news on the container's top lids and something about the pumping system.
I was doubting wether to scratchbuild these containers first :-) - or a trailer with generator to complete the deuce (which now supports a shelter container), but since your remarks I definitely decided to make BOTH !

And let's face it : if immortality is at stake ...

I let you in on the progress of this project.

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 07:20 PM UTC
Jan--If you need some assistance ask. I know that I have no photos of the vehicle. I will consult several references to see what I come with for you. If you want to see what the pony engine looks like, just view any Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine. The same piece of equipment.
Let us know of your progress.
DJ
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 09:21 PM UTC
Good morning (I guess), DJ

Your lawnmower story confuses me a bit. If we're talking about the same engine and hose system here, I don't think we have the same size of garden.
I'm about to upload a few pics that might help those who are toying around with the M911 HET . I think I have one of my "fuel tank M35" pictures scanned. I'll add it to the collection so we can be sure we're talking about the same thing. That will make it easier to discuss this issue in later days/weeks as the project goes along.
During the first week, I'd like to upload some pics and a few stories. By then, my fingers will start aching to get to the modeling again.
Thanks for your support, I look forward to starting to work on this baby !

Jan

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 10:43 PM UTC
Jan--morning in America! The engine itself is the standard lawn mover engine. The hoses were the standard size fuel type you find in any gas station. Hope this helps.
DJ
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2002 - 10:40 AM UTC
Jan,
We have 2 trucks with the fuel cells in our motor pool. I wont be able to take pictures till next month. This months drill, I will be grading a JROTC compitition. Next mont we will be going out on a 3 day FTX. If there are any other support soft skin vehicles you need pictures of, let me know.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2002 - 07:50 PM UTC
You still have the Mogas pod trucks! What else do you have in the motor pool ---re mounts for horse cavalry?
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2002 - 10:45 PM UTC
Come on know, its the National Guard. We have them mounted on 5 Tons and they carry JP8. I havnt seen mogas since my active duty days.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2002 - 10:45 PM UTC
Come on know, its the National Guard. We have them mounted on 5 Tons and they carry JP8. I havnt seen mogas since my active duty days.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2002 - 11:24 PM UTC
Pete--well having said that, our very capable European friend has an engineering challenge in replicating that system. The crib as I recall was a local fabrication of 2x4s. The fuel spill soaked them turning them into a fire hazard. If the damn pony engine worked for more than a few days it was a major miracle. If he gets the shape to the 1/35 scale, it will be something to behold. A picture is worth a thousand words and I trust you can provide him some details. Once again they were unique so units were bound to have different configurations.
DJ :-)
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2002 - 11:42 PM UTC
I do have a question though. Isnt the system on the back of the HMMTT Fuel Tanker the same as the Fuel containers. Every time we fuel up, I never pay attention, But to me it allmost looks the same. Hey, Im a technician, I fix the TOW system on the Bradley. After that is done, I dont stick around for details like refueling. I strive to learn knew techniques on how to dissappear from details.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2002 - 11:54 PM UTC
The fuel system on HEMTT works like a fuel pumper should. In comparison to the MOGAS fueler, this one really, really works. The only problem we experienced is that the person fueling can not leave the nozzle in the fuel cell aperture. He has to hold it or the damn thing will snap like a toy. Other that that my experience is that the fuelers are superb, rugged pieces of equipment. Why they hired some group in Houston to make the FMTVs vice the Oshkosh people is beyond me. I believe after numerous failures the Army finally saw the light and got the Oshkosh people to build the FMTV. Regardless, I am big fan of the HEMTTs.
DJ
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2002 - 11:58 PM UTC
I just thought of somethng for Jan. ROCO makes what he wants in 1/87 scale. You can probably use it for a master or just to see what it looks like. Its not very dtailed, but a majority of it is there.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 01:43 AM UTC
Pete--something else occurred to me as I re read Jan's initial request. He told us he wants to make a fuel/water container for his 2 1/2. Water was always carried in a water buffalo trailer. Never saw one mounted on a crib in the back of deuce and a half. Has anyone else every seen water transported in anything else but a water trailer?
DJ
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 01:49 AM UTC
Ive only seen water carried in the small trailers too. In Saudi they hauled the water in those long tankers that also carried fuel.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 03:37 AM UTC
M149 Water Trailer, commonly referred to as a "Water Buffalo" held 400 gallons. I also recall seeing 5000 gallon semi trailers with "POTABLE WATER" on the sides in the desert.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 03:38 AM UTC
Pete--hauling water in 5000 gallon tankers makes the water taste real good! In Vietnam, they would drop us blivits with water. The blivits (whatever that stood for) were the size of racing tires. Supposedly, they were purged of fuel prior to filling with water. Some dope head in the rear seemed to always forget that last part. The water reeked of aviation fuel. Several times we set it on fire. At any rate, Jan needs to ensure he does not mark one of his fuel cells with the title "water."
DJ
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 04:24 AM UTC
DJ,
I have a lot of modeling to do before I could mark "water" on the result. But I'll start on it real soon. Probably this weekend.
Thank you for all that information. All I need is a few good pics of the top and the hoses and I"ll be as happy as a squirl up a tree.

I'll post my M35 pics one of these nights. I have to reduce their size first.

Thanks !
Jan
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 08:01 PM UTC
Jan--let me say that anyone who would undertake such a project has more creativity and ability than I will ever possess. I wish you luck. When you see the photos Pete promised, I trust they will convey the mess that was always the MOGAS/Diesel pod truck. The wood cribs were usually soaked in fuel, the truck bed was a combination of fuel residue and dirt. There were always a goodly number of five gallon jerry cans along the back of the vehicle. When refueling the jeeps, it was always wise to exchange the five gallon jerry cans on the back of the jeep. Good luck and keep us posted
DJ
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 03:54 AM UTC
Thanks to all for your many suggestions and help. I really look forward to those pics !
And the more you say this will be a tough nut to crack, the more determined I get to see this through ! I'll start on Saturday... ! :-)

Jan
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 03:56 AM UTC
Jan--do well.
DJ
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2002 - 05:02 PM UTC
DJ and Ron,
I posted one of my pictures on this truck in the Gallery.
it's on gallery-models-armor-armor/modern-m35A2

:-)

Jan
 _GOTOTOP