_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
need help with air brush camo
bowhunter
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 07:39 AM UTC
Hi, I'm having trouble with painting camo. I get splattering along the edges. I have an Astec double action air brush an a testors mini blue air compressor. Any help woulb be appreciated. Thank you, Dave.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 08:13 AM UTC
Sounds like your paint is too thick and/or you are spraying at too high of a pressure. Try reducing the pressure and thinning your paint to about the thickness of milk.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 08:51 AM UTC
agreed - from the sounds of it it does sound like the paint is too thick. Thin it down and lower your pressure. Either the paint is to gunky/thick and comes out in blotches and heavy overspray or the pressure is too high and the paint is getting pushed to hard and spattering around your mask.

Thin and low - paint and pressure. Don't worry if you have to do two coats, two thin coats that are nice and clean work better than one gunky one.

And when you're doing camo, you usually get right up close to the model. When you do this you have to lower the pressure to keep control of the paint.
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
Armorama: 654 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 08:56 AM UTC
Bowhunter,
Welcome to the greatest model site, nay--the greatest website, on the internet!!

Gino hit the nail on the head.
When you thin, or mix, your paint let some run off the paintbrush (or whatever you use to mix) and down the inside of the bottle. Do the same with a glass of milk. Then remix the paint to match the speed and consistency of the milk. When you get them to match then you have mastered the ‘bovine lacteal fluid’ trick.

Does your compressor have a regulator and pressure gauge? What pressure are you running it at? Try somewhere between 15-25 psi.

Speaking of where you are at--what part of Ohio do you call home? Anywhere near Dayton or Wright-Pat AFB?
bowhunter
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 10:08 AM UTC
Thanks guys I've been using paint stright from the bottle. Will thin it. I'm new to this after a 20 year lay off to raise kids.Should I repaint with the base coat and try again or repaint camo? I'm North of Dayton near Lima. I should of learned to type in school, two fingers don't cut it !! Thanks again, Dave.
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
Armorama: 654 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 10:59 PM UTC
Dave,
Okay, I'm new to Ohio so how far is Lima from Dayton?
The reason I ask is there is an IPMS chapter in Dayton that holds club meetings once a month.

Here is their website:
http://www.geocities.com/dapm_1999/

I haven't made it to a meeting yet. But have conversed with Mark Young and met most of the memebers at this year's contest and show at Wright State University, and they are good people.

So, if you need help in other modeling areas, just want to talk models and history, or want to join a club, give them a try.

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 11:16 PM UTC
Along with the other suggestions, I always keep a container of thinner (what ever you need for what ever you spray), and a soft brush near by, and every few minutes give the head, a fast wash down with thinner, keeps the end clear of drying paint, that will disrupt the spray pattern, and also cause splatter. Remember to start to spray off your model, and then come on to the model.
Much easier to do than try to explain.
 _GOTOTOP