Walker Bulldog Glencoe 1/15
majorproblem
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 132 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 12:14 AM UTC
Hi guys,
There does not seem to be many pictures of one of these on the internet, so thought I'd post a few. to share.
I don't know if any one is familiar with these kits, I think they are quite rare, certainly old.....basically a toy in kit form....WOEFULLY, WOEFULLY, WOEFULLY inaccurate!!! (I mean, just check out the drive sprockets!) :-)
So PLEASE don't comment on all the things wrong in my pics, you will come up with a list as long as your arm!
I had always heard bad things about this kit, but never actually seen one,....until my collector mate brought it round to me ...I gasped with horror when seeing it, everything is dreadfull from the quality of plastic, to the fit of parts and you may as well just toss the instructions in the bin!
But I said I'd have a go at it for him

I had also heard that the scale of 1/15 seemed way out...I would agree that it cannot be 1/15 scale, although the 1/16 figures do not look too bad scale wise now they are in it.
Certainly all the extras that the kit came with were way too small and had to be chucked and replaced with 1/16 tools, etc.
This has basically been a "fill in" mess about build relieving the hard work of my M113 build, so I really have not gone to town on this as I would have had to scratchbuild all of it!......all I have done is add, remodel and scratchbuild certain parts and items to try and tart up and partly hide a terrible kit.
I think the end result is okay considering, but I know there are many many other things I could have done to it.

Scratchbuilt a new tool stowage box and added Tamiya tools and lead foil straps.

Added front parts and braces to mudguards/running boards.

Added braces to light covers, opened up driver hatch and view ports, also added hatch stay guides and details to driver hatch.

Made mantlet cover out of milliput, fixings, etc plastirod. made new front top of turret (original hinged open for some reason) and added mg travel lock.

Used 1/16 Jerry cans and Verlinden MG tripod, added 1/16 helmets, etc.

Made rear lifting eyes...had to cut about 1 side stowage and exhaust, as was supplied with 2 right hand side parts!

Added opening handles to side stowage tops, made bed rolls, etc from milliput.

Moved 3rd exhaust down to front mudguard, added pipe to it and guard on rear deck.

Commander is Tamiya 1/16 (Sherman) Verlinden Nam decals.

Loader is just a head and 1 hand stuck together!

Carl
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 01:51 AM UTC
Nicely done. I grabbed one of the Glencoe reissues in the early nineties when the came out. It is the old ITC Battlin' Betsy kit that originally fired potato pellets and was motorized. When I had mine, I thought the decals were worth more than the kit itself. Too bad they weren't compatible with any other kit.

You should be proud of the work you've done just to build one.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 01:58 AM UTC
I think you did a fine job.
majorproblem
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 03:24 AM UTC
Thank you for the comments guys
Have just edited/updated the post with captions of some of the work done.

I was going to say the sticker sheet was probably the best part of the kit!!!!.....way too many versions to choose from!
The kit did have many cogs,/ parts to motorize it, although God only knows how cos certainly no instructions for doing so!

Carl
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2004 - 05:59 PM UTC
Amazing job considering the basematerial - great work...

Now, get back to your T34 !
majorproblem
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2004 - 09:53 PM UTC
:-) :-) :-)
He He

I will someday!
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2004 - 11:02 PM UTC
I think that is great the job you done to this old girl, they never intended anybody to do this to one back when she was first made.

This is the kind of kit I would love to build, to keep your imagination growing. You done a real good job, keep up the good work.

Kerry
majorproblem
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2004 - 11:51 PM UTC
Thank you

Am I right in thinking the Chaffee is the same base as the M41 Bulldog?
After working with this kit, it may be an idea to try and get another one and scratch a Chaffee top and turret for it?

Carl

HILBERT
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,808 posts
Armorama: 1,069 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 12:00 AM UTC
No, the chaffee hasn't the same base as the m41.
I build them both, and they doesn't look the same.
And your tank is very dusty ( that's what I like, dusty tanks )

Gr Hilbert
majorproblem
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 12:16 AM UTC
Yes, silly me, I now see the Chaffee drive sprocket is at the front!!....still, with a bit of conversion, it may be "passable"......I will have to look into it a bit further.

Carl
 _GOTOTOP