Factory ruin - the "hansa" way!
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 11:10 AM UTC
Okay gang...

Just finished building the Stalingrad Factory for a magazine article. Here is the "summer" version of the finished "Stalingrad Motor Factory" in 1:35 scale... and yes, built entirely from scratch using the Hansa System. Over 4,000 bricks, laid in place one at a time! While I can't share the article just yet (publisher's rules, not mine!), you can see more photos in my gallery under "Factory - Summer". The final article will show this factory converted to full snow "winter" conditions, and that is when the figures, base, details, etc. will all come together. Just thought you might like to see the work before it get's that white blanket!

Comments, questions, and suggestions always appreciated.... Enjoy!

andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 11:22 AM UTC
Keith,
I really like the way this has turned out. Your paint job is very realistic and convincing. Are you allowed to tell us what the scene will involve? eg Figures/Vehicles?
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 11:28 AM UTC
Keith, your work never ceases to amaze me. That is an amazing piece of work. I love all the little details. Couple of questions for you. How long did this one take to build? Is it hard working with the hansa bricks? what did you use for the metal parts such as railings and grates? Could you tell us what mag it will be in? I think that about covers it as far as questions. I am wanting to start doing a few urban dios in the future and am very curious about the hansa system and the balsa foam you carry. Soon you should be having an order from me. Cheers Kevin
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 11:30 AM UTC
The article is spread over four issues. The first, as you see here, is how the building is created and the layout process using the Hansa 1:35 system.

The second issue shows the building and modification of the Italeri ZIS5 Russian Field Truck, with all the detailing.

The Third article will have the "winterizing" details, and the final issue has the figures, placement, painting, base, etc.

The "end result" will be reflective of on of the last pockets of the German 6th Army a few days before the surrender in Stalingrad. There is a story about this, detailing the lives of a squad of SS men who were seperated and surrounded just outside the Red Oktober Tractor Factory a day or two before the surrender. While the majority of the soldiers in the factory were later taken captive by the Russians, the squad in the motor shed were all killed a day before Paulus surrendered.
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 12:53 PM UTC
I am lost for words. That is absolutley AWESOME.
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,447 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 12:56 PM UTC
I bow down to kiss your feet. You forever have my respect! AWESOME AWESOME job i cant wait to see what it looks like when its all done! Great Job Keith.
Norseman
Visit this Community
Oslo, Norway
KitMaker: 270 posts
Armorama: 177 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 01:19 PM UTC
Great work!
Never heard about the Hansa System. Any links to where I can read about it?
Komet
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 82 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 01:24 PM UTC
Cool!!!!
whodini
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 359 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 02:07 PM UTC
That is so cool! I have seen the Hansa line on your website and it is very interestin'.

Do you have to glue the blocks together or do they snap together?

Rob
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 02:39 PM UTC
Great work. It's just incredible!
Can't wait to see this work "winterizied"
nexy
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 147 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 03:17 PM UTC
wow, just wow.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 03:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Keith, your work never ceases to amaze me.

Same here. Im a big fan of your dio work as well.
The first few images and my impression was that the hansa bricks were all too perfect and wouldn´t lend themselves to WW2 ruins. But this is unbelievable. Great work and detailing. The weathering is excellent ... it would be a pity to hide too much of this with snow!. Good luck with the rest of the article.
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 533 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 05:28 PM UTC
this is incredible, a masterpiece!

everything looks so perfect in that dio!!! awesome job!
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,009 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 07:21 PM UTC
That is some really nice work . Excellent job all around. I have a few quick questions. First which magazine will it be in? Also, what is the dollar amount of all the Hansa Products used. Sounds like an expensive project. Keep up the great work.
Cheers,
Bryan
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 07:47 PM UTC
If Hansa doesn't use photos of this diorama to sell their product they are crazy. Amazing work.

Patrick
HILBERT
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,808 posts
Armorama: 1,069 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 08:12 PM UTC
one word, SUPERB

Gr Hilbert
ACHTUNG
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 266 posts
Armorama: 187 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 08:26 PM UTC
AWeeeeWWWWWsomEEEE
i always like your creations
btw, what is Hansa System ??
ACHTUNG
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 266 posts
Armorama: 187 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 08:26 PM UTC
AWeeeeWWWWWsomEEEE
i always like your creations
btw, what is Hansa System ??
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 1,430 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 09:45 PM UTC
Totally awesome. I am in awe. Your work here is amazing. Can't wait to see how you top this one..Keep up the good work.
Mary (++)
spectre
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 10:08 PM UTC
love the factory, and just 1 1/2 questions: did you scratch-build the left over machinery or was it premade, and is the Hansa system a brick-by-brick building set? if so, where can you order them? they look great as you have so ably demonstrated
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 10:11 PM UTC
Hey Keith!

Great work man!!

Was great to see you at mastercon, too bad you didnt pring any of your stuff for us to look at!

KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 10:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

love the factory, and just 1 1/2 questions: did you scratch-build the left over machinery or was it premade, and is the Hansa system a brick-by-brick building set? if so, where can you order them? they look great as you have so ably demonstrated

Yes - the Hansa System is a "snap together - then glue" system, similar in approach to connecting "Lego's" together... about as easy. The individual pieces can be seen and purchase on our company website www.scalemilitary.com

As for the earlier question about price, I would estimate the total cost of this diorama was about $75 in parts... 2 bags of the large cinderblocks, 4 bags of bricks, one half bag of cobblestones, and then a few plastruct items (non-skid sheet, extruded railing, small strip). Oh - and two bottles of liquid modelmaster glue! But remember - this building is pretty darn huge... about 12 x 14, and 8 inches high... about the size of three or more "Verlinden" plaster kits...

The majority of machinery was from the wonderful (WONDERFUL!) Italeri "Field Workshop" kit that sells for under $10 US.... been around for ages, and i buy about 6-8 of them per year!
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 10:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That is some really nice work . Excellent job all around. I have a few quick questions. First which magazine will it be in? Also, what is the dollar amount of all the Hansa Products used. Sounds like an expensive project. Keep up the great work.
Cheers,
Bryan

Sorry - can't name the magazine - they really hate authors of a feature article doing it, because then people start nagging them for the article before they are ready to publish. They often purchase an "inventory" of articles to publish as required. Just be aware it is "one of the three largest" model magazines in the world for scale model builders (hint hint)
cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 469 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 10:32 PM UTC
Fantastic build there Keith! In what magazine will it be featured? I can't wait to see the details.
Bus
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 846 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 11:35 PM UTC
Fantastic Work!Very good detailing!!
 _GOTOTOP