_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Another question about …. Chipped Paint effec
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 03:10 PM UTC
Hello my friends,

I know this is probably the most asked question in modeling: how to do a chipped paint effect.

Well I read the article of MIG on Missing Links, but it leaves a lot of questions unanswered.

I picked up my Italery Sherman, which was totally put in the ground by my (former) modeling club (see posting giving up on a model... ) (and which my wife saved from the trash), and decides to finish it whatever someone says.

I changed a couple of things and now I want to ad some scratches and paint chips, not to much just a couple.

Now for my question(s):

Which color should I use (I was thinking of a mix of Raw Umber and Burns Sienna oil paint)?

For making scratches I was thinking of using a piece of sprue and for the chips a small brush.

Finally where do I place these scratches? The pic’s I have of a Sherman are wartime B/W pictures or museum pictures, so I can not see them like I would.

Any advise is like always very welcome

#:-)
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 06:33 PM UTC
Ronny,

I hope this will help you a bit..

http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/other/awpaint/awpaint.htm

http://hem.bredband.net/thomaskolb/art/models/weather_e.htm
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 08:29 PM UTC
To simulate paint chips and scratches I have started to use one of my wifes silver gel pens. I am very pleased with the result and will probably continue to use this method from now on, unless I'm lookng to remove large areas of paint. Gel pens can be found at most art and craft stores.
 _GOTOTOP