_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1/16th Scale Tamiya Kubelwagen
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 02:56 PM UTC
Has anyone here built this kit? I am interested in experiences, opinions, etc of this kit. Thanks for your time.

Splinty2001
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 283 posts
Armorama: 181 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 02:28 AM UTC
Hi Sgt Sauer,
I've built the big KW. I really liked the kit alot. It was very easy to build, lots of detailed parts. The engine compartment is a beautiful kit in itself, all it needs is some plug wires and a good weathering job and it looks like the real thing. The kit as a whole fits together really well, and doesn't miss on any details except maybe for the wiring for the guages and such. The only thing I didn't like about the kit was the driver figure, which I replaced with the old Verlinden resin set.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 02:45 AM UTC
I picked one up from someone thinning his collection. I haven't built it yet, but it looks to be a superb kit. I saw Bspru's kit at his house and just had to have one. I've got the DAK one with Rommel and driver.
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Armorama: 312 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 03:27 AM UTC
I have two of these kits and they are really nice, typical Tamiya kits. I have not built either one but they are as I said, typical Tamiya in the two main senses of the word; I.E. they are well designed and fit good, albeit much of the detail seems simplified.

My one complaint would be that their 1/48 and 1/35 Kubels are almost as detailed as the 1/16 models, which is odd as the kit is so huge there is the potential for a lot more detail than comes in the box.

I have been holding off building mine in the hope that Aber would do a superset for these kits. In the meantime, for any of you scratchbuilders out there, here is a link that I know you will all find to be of immense value if you have this kit or are thinking of getting this kit:

http://www.imagestation.com/member/join_signin_prompt.html?album_id=4292287815&rf=&ru=%2Falbum%2F%3Fid%3D4292287815

It is a photo hosting site that you will have to sign up for, but it is really worth it.

HTH

Scott Gentry
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 03:46 AM UTC
The big KB is a terrific kit which I am building OOTB concurrent with the 'all-out' 1/16 Tiger 1. The KB comes 'highly recommended'.

Cody
TreeCat
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 187 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 03:56 AM UTC
It's a great kit but needs more decal options and more crew a digram for the spark plugs and engine plumbing would have been nice too. But what a great build In short it's Tamyia having the wings and wheels book will help.
 _GOTOTOP