Hosted by Darren Baker
Idea For Buildings....
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 10:20 PM UTC
Recently with the flurry of excitement caused by the posts of Blockhaus and his superb building work, it has caused me to go back to something I did years ago - buildings in 1/35th...

One of his posts particularly caught my attention - one on the subject of giving 'texture' to the façades of buildings...

Now the problem was that, it is easier for me to work with FEATHERBOARD (or FOAMBOARD ) for the basic structure. This has its drawbacks - if one adds a diluted plaster over the board, it warps. What I needed was a form of adding texture in a simple yet convincing manner.

I think I may have the solution. A product we all have on our workbench and something which, if initial results are anything to go by, seems to give a convincing effect - SANDPAPER. I have just glued someover the façade of a building I am constructing to try out various techniques (cork etc...) The result is looking pretty good - the only problem is, that I have used fine-grade paper and it really needs something rougher.

It's simple to do. simply square of a section of sandpaper, cut it roughly to size and glue it (using PVA adhesive) over the façade of the building. Reverse it and using a sharp knive and steel rule cut out the windows, and doors - the sandpaper is quite thin so it's relatively easy - voila! a stuccoed building front...I will post photos larter...Jim
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 10:34 PM UTC
That sounds very interesting Jim,
I am looking forward to the pics
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 10:37 PM UTC
Ola Jim

That could work. I have used sandpaper for a lot fo stuff in the past usually roads. From sand roads to Tarmac. I even have made a tenniscourt with the stuff.

Looking forward to your pics.

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 10:41 PM UTC
Robert, the original idea came from that - I used to use sandpaper to simulate tarmac - it always looked quite convincing. The curious thing was that a problem (the warping of the foamboard) caused a solution to be found. As I don't have access to large amounts of the more solid form of expanded polystyrene,i have to use foamboard...Jim
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 10:56 PM UTC
easy quick priceless and efficient . Bravo Jim waiting for more, and of course photos

Costas
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 11:52 PM UTC
Now that's a nice simple solution, and best of all, a cheap one....
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 533 posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 12:11 AM UTC
good idea!

really cheap too, as you can get a LOT of sandpaper with just a few cents....

thanks for sharing!
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 01:02 AM UTC
Hi JIm,
good idea!! I have made some works with these material.Unfotunately I not have photos of it. but works well. I hope see soon photos of your works
Carlos
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 08:45 AM UTC
foamboard won't warp if you paint both sides.the best thing to do is assemble all the foamboard parts then spray with a LATEX PRIMER. (:-)
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 01:20 PM UTC
Hi,

With regards to Foamboard warping...maybe covering it first with PVA glue would seal it from the diluted plaster...thus reduce or even eliminate warping...just an idea.

The sandpaper trick is also a very good option..

Cheers
 _GOTOTOP