_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Castoff Sabre Conversion kit - Advice please
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 513 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 08:21 AM UTC
Hi guys, I have just bought the above on eBay for £12. Anyone, done this conversion before? Any advice? I am using the AFV Club Scimitar as the basis for the conversion although I might use the Revell Scorpion.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 09:01 AM UTC
Good price. Is it cream or grey resin? I've built half of the conversion in the cream but stripped the parts off and going to redo with the grey resin which is more complete since the cream resin sit was an eBay purchase.

Didn't have any big issues but there is a slight length difference in some of the side bins, which may be more accurate, and the turret side bins are a little tricky to determine the proper placement.

Paul
winchweight
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 10:09 AM UTC
It's the cream coloured set. Which base model are you using?
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 10:43 AM UTC
The Scimitar kit. I don't think it really matters. At the time, the Scorpion kit was harder to find. I would think that any Sabre in service(at least in KFOR) would have the late sprocket style.

After reading the Darlington book on Scorpion/Scimitar, I did mate the Sabre parts with an early Scorpion upper hull but only because I had the upper hull laying around. I don't think it matters that much visually.

The white metal barrel that comes with the older resin is on par if not better than the resin barrel in the grey resin set.

The second from the right is my first buildup of the Sabre. My cream resin set was missing the corrected commander's sight.

I think the PE headlight guard is from the Airwaves set.

Paul
winchweight
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 09:04 PM UTC
Nice builds. What kit is the grey one (Samson?)?Got any finished pictures?

ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 05:05 AM UTC
Thanks. The middle one is the Accurate Armour Spartan with Milan Compact Turret.

Unfortunately no finished pictures. Got wrapped up in too many details and ground to a halt. Back in the box for now but I'll get back to them.

Paul
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 09:58 AM UTC
How do you recognize the Sabre from a Scimitar ? I know the turret is not quite the same but I never managed to make it clear for me.
If you had any clue, I'll appreciate as I like this vehicle family.
Any book ref would be helpful too.
TIA

olivier
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 10:25 AM UTC
The main hull of the Sabre will look very similar to a Scimitar LEP since they both have front bins and large headlight bins plus front side bins with the sloped top. The Scimitar LEP will not have the right side bin by the grills because it has new intake on the side of the hull.

The easiest way to tell is the long bins on the sides of the Sabre turret.

Paul
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 07:28 PM UTC
Thank you Paul,
I thought the turrets were different in their shape and their accessories like sights, hatches and so on.

Any good reference website or book in your opinion ?

olivier
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 09:44 PM UTC
Olivier, the Sabre has the turret from the CVR(W) Fox which has curving sides instead of the angles of the Scorpion/Scimitar turret. Also the turret is mounted on an angular base, though both of these features are hard to see with the stowage bins fitted.

http://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/av/av_sab.htm

Books on the CVR series are thin on the ground, I can think of the Osprey New Vanguard and one by Concord, but they're around 10 years old now and may be out of print.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 11:27 PM UTC
Yes, the turret, which is from the Fox CVR(w), is different in shape. From a distance, the side turret bins are the easiest way for me to tell whether it is a Sabre or a Scimitar.

The commander's sight is the same between the two as is the rear bin. The cannon barrel appears to be the same but the Sabre has a different coax mg. Sabres in KFOR also have the SPIRE gunner's sight like the Scimitar LEP.

Specific recognition points would be the side bins, shorter turret with hull adaptor, coax mg and the smoke launcher mount which is slightly different.

Museum Ordnance Special Number 23: Scorpion, Scimitar, And Sabre from Darlington Press would be the best reference specific to the Sabre. The British Army Picture Library has some decent shots as well.

Paul
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 12:50 AM UTC
Thank you very much Paul for this so comprehensive answer.

olivier
OneOneBravo
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 100 posts
Armorama: 84 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 03:50 AM UTC
The Sabre is a Scorpion hull hull with a CVR(W) Fox turret and the coax mg is the 7.62 chain gun.
I was in one of the last units to have Sabre until they got replaced by desiel Scimatars last year.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 05:38 AM UTC
Pete,

Did the Sabres go through the LEP upgrades? I swear I've seen pictures of one with a SPIRE sight but maybe that was a separate upgrade.

Thanks,
Paul
OneOneBravo
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 06:38 AM UTC
Some sabres went through for the LEP upgrade they were only the Royal Yeomary as i know of,when the sabres that i was on went they hadnt been upgraded they still had the II sights only.

Pete
OneOneBravo
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 07:01 AM UTC
Olivier,

If you go to the website www.PLAIN-MILITARY.COM there is a page that has scimitar at the top and some sabres at the bottom.

Pete
 _GOTOTOP