_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
The 'China Front' - Lots of Photos...
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 12:56 AM UTC
One of the most ignored (or little known) 'fronts' in WWII was probably China. With the war raging from 1935, images are few and far between.

HardCorps Models on their website, have just published a large collection of contemporary photos from that conflict. They can be seen: HERE - Well worth checking out...Jim
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 01:42 AM UTC
Hi Jim

Outstanding ! ! I did not know the Chinese Nationalist used German uniforms and armor. In fact at first glance I was confused, I thought " I've never heard of German forces operating in China " This is a great site, and those pics bring up all kinds of project ideas. I always thought Chinese forces wore those yellow / white cotten uniforms that were seen during the Korean conflict. Again, great site thanks for posting it.

I wonder how the Germans felt about Japan invading a client state ?

Harry
Darktrooper
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 581 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 02:46 AM UTC
Chaing Kai-Shek was VERY intrigued and really wanted to modernize his military. He bought whatever he could get. That led to his long time friendship with Gen. Chennault.

The "coal-scuttle" helmet we often associate with the Germans was not only used by the chinese, The Spanish, and the Irish as well. Germany was considering using Ireland to help them take over England.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 03:49 AM UTC
Now this has me confused, on who was on who's side. This opens up a whole new way of looking at things. Seems like China took help from who ever give it, on war materials.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 03:54 AM UTC
My grandpa actually was one the last batch of Nationalist military cadet trained in Germany.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 04:24 AM UTC
Come to the History Forum and discuss the role of the Germans in support of the Nationalist Chinese.
DJ
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 05:18 AM UTC
Here's a series of 30 minute films on the Japanese/China war.
Unfortunately it's all in Chinese, with Chinese subtitles, and also flips back and forth between now and the past, but has some never before see footage. Simce I don't read or understand Chinese, I simply turned off the sound and put a CD in to listen to.
Since each is a large download for your media players, if you use dail-up, be prepared to wait a while downloading them.
http://www.thepmw.com/phorum/read.php?f=8&i=766&t=766

Oh, and thanks for that link Jim.... enjoyed and saved the photos.
Fuhrer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 09:04 AM UTC
aren't the Germans on Japan's side? why did they supply arms and training to the Chinese?
Tapper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 664 posts
Armorama: 484 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 10:10 AM UTC
What a cool site! Thanks for posting!
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 10:16 AM UTC
Fuhrer, this was in the early thirties, before Germany, Japan, & Italy signed the " Pact Of Steel", Effectively creating the Axis Powers of WWII. HTH!
[EDIT]- sorry, forgot to add: at this time in History, Germany's economy was so badly depressed from the First WorldWar( known then as the Big War or War to End All War) that they would export damn near anything to anyone. There's even an anecdote about some of our (the U.S.)tech experts needing to buy comm equipment from Siemens(a German company) through their mail order catalogue because the military was expressly forbidden from trading with German business...
 _GOTOTOP