Hosted by Darren Baker
MOVE IT entry one! CMP ambulance
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2004 - 08:29 PM UTC
well after 6 months of doing almost nothing in the way of models I have finally finished not one but two models.

This is the first - 3 ton CMP Chevrolet, Australian Pattern, Ambulance.

This has a full interior and is marked as a real Ambulance that served in the HQ unit of the Queensland Line of Communications area up on the Atherton Tablelands in Northern Queensland.

Robert Bokker (Faust) did the artwork for the decals from drawings I sent him and I printed them out on my computer. This is the first time I have worked with home made decals and I would do it again.

Kit was an Italeri 15cwt Chev kit in 1/35 scale. I stretched the chassis and scratch built the cabs sunshine (canvas) roof that only Australian CMP's had, and also scratchbuilt the rear body. Wheels are resin creations of my own.

Here are the pics, there are more in my gallery in the models folder.

As always any comments, suggestions are welcome.

As I say don't be scared I would like comments and any nit picking please.

NOTE- North Queensland is rich RED soil so that is why the red dust has been used.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2004 - 08:35 PM UTC
Cliff, we've been waiting to see this ambulance finished, and it was well worth the wait. There is a heck of a lot of work gone into your trucks and it shows.
If I was to crticise anything it would be that the cloth used on the roof and rear has e very heavy appearance, but then I'm not familiar with what was used on the original.
Excellent
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2004 - 09:43 PM UTC
Good Golly Cliff thats a Beauty I really do like it,
Looking forward to seeing more models soon
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2004 - 11:04 PM UTC
G'day Cliff
as i told you in pm, thats excellent, the real material covers are a nice toutch!
well done mate
cheers
sas
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 256 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 12:53 AM UTC
Stunning Roo,absolutely stunning,wow!! An excellent job! How did you get the round on the roof section?
russ
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 01:02 AM UTC
another excellent build . the real canvas adds a lot to CMP and interior detailing is so nice..congrats Cliff
i loved it
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 01:42 AM UTC
Full interior, actual vehicle markings, your own resin cast wheels, scratch cab and rear body --------- Cliff, with all due respect you are a Master. Nough said.

Steve
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 05:29 AM UTC
Cliff it is so nice to see this one finished. You did a fantastic job as usual. I enjoyed following you on this build. I have learned a lot watching you. Thanks for sharing. Bravo and three cheers Mate
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 05:38 AM UTC
Cliff, you have excelled yourself with this one - this I can honestly say is one of my all time favourites. The hessian sacking on the rear is perhaps a little heavy for scale, but as the overall impact is what counts it iis excellent - separates the smooth finish with a rough nicely.

You almost left me speechless with this one (I said almost ) Nice one!...Jim

P.S. if you have the plans on disk, can you send me them? Did you use your own 'extension' for the chassis? The reason i'm asking this, is that one of the manufacturers has them...MapleLeaf?
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 07:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

P.S. if you have the plans on disk, can you send me them? Did you use your own 'extension' for the chassis? The reason i'm asking this, is that one of the manufacturers has them...MapleLeaf?

Jim I do my own chassis extensions as it is very easy to do. Now as for plans.....um will a jumble of measurements on a small scrap of paper be OK?

Hmmm thought not! most of the planning for this one was scaling off pics of the real thing and then cutting the piece out there and then. Sorry!

Quoted Text

How did you get the round on the roof section?

these were done with sections of PVC house water pipe. It is extremely hard and has to be super glued but it worked. There are build photos of this in my personal gallery in the models under construction album.

Guys Thank you for your comments it is good to be back
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 08:15 AM UTC
Well Boyyyyyyy Howdy !

When you finish a project, you really finish a project!

I have followed this project from the very beginning when you first brought out your Butcher's knif...,,oops, ...err, ......Xacto modeling knife and starting bashing the frontend of this baby, and loved every minute of it. I donned my reading glasses while you were creating your scratched interior appointments, and took dubious mental notes of all your original manipulations (...hehe.....), and I reached into my tissue box for a Kleenex when this project temporarily dissappeared from the radar screen....(need to refill that darned box...).

I'm just mighty glad to see this excellent example of truck building / scratching / bashing /and accurizing come to such an excellent point of fruition!!
Your setting and Unit markings for the vehicle are unique as is your usual way. And depicting it in the Cairns Highlands (or as you historically dubbed it for the time, the Atherton Tablelands) is pretty nifty as well.
The red soil is a nice touch, almost like soil in the 'Nam. Is the redness in the soil there because of the volcanic origins? Just curious.

Anyway, enough of my ramble. She is superb sir! An excellent additon to the both the ranks of the "Move It!!" Campaign, and the growing gallery of the Truck-orama side of the site.

Thanks again Cliff for the ' walk through the candy store'.....

yer mate,

Tread.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 09:09 AM UTC
Looks good Cliff, I've always liked the look of those cabs.....
Nice to see so many different bodies can be mounted on them.
 _GOTOTOP