_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: R/C Armor
Discuss all Remote Control Armor related topics here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Which TAMIYA 1:16 R/C Tank should I buy???
luftis
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2004 - 07:00 AM UTC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Friends!
I am going to by me i one of TAMIYAs 1:16 R/C Tanks, but I cant decide wich one I sould pick up. Its a lot of money, so therfore i need Your help to give me some tips and advice etc. I like to know wich tank runs best, sound best, looks best... You know, everything. I am thankful for all the help I can get here, as much as possible.
Tanks again for this wonderful site that i discoverd today!
Best regards
Per
Sweden
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2004 - 07:33 AM UTC
Personally I would get the Leo 2A6. It is the newest and I have heard it is the most advanced technically speaking. Also if you wanted to, with some work you could convert it to a Strv 122. Now that would really be cool.

Mike

Oh, and welcome to the site.
schrauber
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 44 posts
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2004 - 09:56 PM UTC
hi per,

yes my favorit is also the leo2a6 from tamiya. it is a verry scale model an he is allso running verry well. an at last, there are a lot of tuning parts made from metal aviable for the leo ! take a look on www.afv-model.com

with best regards

axel
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 05:31 AM UTC
Sod the leo 2A6 far to expensive.go for the King Tiger but not the Tiger I ,The sherman is also a good kit,trust me iv built one but dont use it.bye
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 06:19 AM UTC
Hi Per,
I have the 4 WWII/Korean era tanks. Sherman, Pershing, Tiger and KonigsTiger. I like them all, and have them all built up to the running stage. (read: no little details, and no paint) Personally I would recommend the Pershing or either of the Tigers. I'm not into modern armor, though I will say the Leopard is mighty cool. I would say go for which one you like best (appearance wise). Mechanically they are all realatively similar. My only complaint with the Pershing is fitting all the components in the hull (read: tight fit) And, I was mildly disappointed with the Sherman. Just didn't live up to the other 3. There is a website that sells some conversions (for the sherman) and some "hop-up" parts for these tanks. Tiger/King Tiger torsion bar suspension, "real-time" recoil kit. Some cool stuff.Backyardarmor Good luck with your R/C tank, which ever you decide on!
PGILL
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 08:16 AM UTC
I put together Tamiya’s entire 1/16 tank line and currently working on their Leopard 2a6. If this is going to be your first R/C tank, I would stay away from the Leopard 2a6 and would go for with the Tiger 1. There is a lot more room inside compare with the Pershing and not as difficult as the Leopard. The Pershing was a struggle to get the upper hull on without any gaps and it still doesn't fit right.

The new Leopard, it's not a beginner’s tank. I struggle for 2 days trying to get the fiber optics to line up right for the tail and brake light so I can attach the side armor platting, and I think I broke one of the fiber lines too. And with all the electronics for Leo is in the turret it's going to be a tight fit too. Plus the challenge is going to be painting this cat. Right now I'm planning on painting it in stages, lower hull (which is done), upper hull (which needs to be prime and painted in camo) and then turret (not even started).

Out off 8 1/16 tanks I build, the Tiger 1 was the best. It went together easily. I did order the PE screens from Tamiya and an aluminum barrel from some place but that’s about it. I did see the torsion bars from Backyardarmor.com but didn’t go for it. But I’m thinking about the gun recoil system they have because I’m not too happy with Tamiya’s. It’s too jerky.

Good luck,
Pat
TANKDUEL
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 105 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 10:56 AM UTC
To enter the hobby,the Sherman is the cheapest and most reliable(no gun recoil),next,the Tiger 1 is better to start with than the KT.The KT has track link breakage and idler tension 'issues"
Neville RC Tank Club NZ
SgtDinkyduck
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Armorama: 172 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 01:23 PM UTC
i just bought the pershing, and from the reviews i read of it, its the one of the best, if not the top. i have not started it yet, but looks very nice. and looks like fun.
Royalhussar
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 13 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 01:25 AM UTC
Hi There

My personal opinion is to go for the Tiger 1 in terms of ease of use, strength and quality, my business has a fleet of almost 20 of the Tamiya 1/16th scale tanks, which we use for team games.
All of the tanks are great, the pershing looks fantastic, but from our point of view is a pain for battery changes. The sherman is nice an nimble, but too grippy, with lots of stress placed on the gearboes.
the KT look fab, but isn't as structurally sound as it could be.
The new Leo is simply stunning, far too nice to let our customers loose on!!!
The Tiger 1 is very tough, you can set the tracks to slip a little, which removes a LOT of strain from the gearboxes, and there is plenty of room for extras, I have a laser sight with R/C switch fitted to mine which looks fantastic, and will soon be fitted to our whole fleet.
for detail buffs, there is simply a HUGE amount of after market items to really jazz up your Tank.
Go with the Tiger 1, its unbeatable!!!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 04:09 AM UTC
I have the full R/C Tiger I, motorized non-R/C Tiger II and the Sherman. The Sherman tank is an older kit with updated motorization and electronics. The base kit has got to be around 30 years old (if not older).

Mine has issues with the track breaking and assembling the track was a major pain in the butt.

I'd go for either Tiger or the Pershing and would not recommend the Sherman.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 04:39 AM UTC
Take a look at this http://sky.prohosting.com/tanksuk/id18.htm

I know its not a Tamiya, but I sure is tempted!

TANKDUEL
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 105 posts
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2005 - 06:15 PM UTC
The new Shermans come with pre-assembled tracks,never had a problem ,I run all the Tamiya WW2 tanks commercially.
 _GOTOTOP