_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Painting questions
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 09:49 AM UTC
Hi guys

My airbrush has now completly died. I"ll more than likly replace it after the holidays. My question is I'm right in the middle of a couple of projects. Now I can get a decent one color paint job from a rattle can, but I wanted to paint my Kunbalwagen in camo. Heres the question. I can spray the dark yellow form a rattle can but I would have to brush paint the red and green. Should I just stay with the solid dark yellow [ I do have a reference pic for it, Italy 43] or try the brush job and hope it turns out ok ? Or put the project on the back burner until I replace the airbrush ?

Thanks in advance folks
Harry
(:-) Happy Holidays to one and all, may the new year find us all safe, and happy. To those in uniform, no matter what flag you serve, may God bless and keep you safe.
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2004 - 02:26 AM UTC
Hey Harry!
Why not try a soft-edge mask to spray the rotbraun & dunkelgrun? I'm sure you can find a description of it in the forums somewhere, but if not, I'll PM you a basic rundown of the method if you'd like.
mossieramm
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 253 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 07:34 PM UTC
Hi Harry, perhaps this is something you can try. Paint the red and green with a brush onto the model. Then roll some blu-tac and put it over the painted colours, and then spray the yellow. Remove the Blu-tac and voila, a camo with a soft edge.
Hope this helps.
Merry x-mas
armorguy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 269 posts
Armorama: 178 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 03:37 AM UTC
wolfsix,

My own personal opinion is that I'd just wait before I brush painted it. If I knew that I wasn't going to be happy with it from the start, why waste all that hard work you've spent building it by not finishing it up to the standards that you know you'll be able to achieve in a few weeks. Hang on and either work on something else or take a little modeling time off for the holidays and pick it up in the new year with a new airbrush.

Merry Christmas! (:-)
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 01:18 PM UTC
I am with Armorguy. Better to wait, then to take a short cut, and possible ruin you efforts so far.
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 505 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 03:18 PM UTC
Hey Harry:
My AB died as well, but I'm waiting for mine new one to arrive, like Sticky/Armorguy said I would hate to put all that effort up in smoke because of a crappy paint job.
I bought a IWATA HP-C, and although its a tough wait I think I'll be happy .
heres a link for the thread I used for my AB decision
AB decision
Bruce
 _GOTOTOP