_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Lots of fun on my first night
gladwell
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 06:05 PM UTC
I was a little skeptical of it, having never done fine detail.

In my previous experience, which ended when I was 17 (10 years ago) fine detail didn't matter, I didn't have time for it. Tonight, however, I started an Tamiya M4A3 105 mm, and am putting most of the hull and accesories on it before spraying it, taking my time to sand all mold lines and dress everything up nicely before applying glue and making it permanent.

I gotta say, I didn't think I would like it as much as I did, I sat in teh same place for like 5 hours and hardly moved, my wife loved it because I was out of her way, and I am pretty much hooked.

I understand I will probably complete screw up the paint job, washing, and dry brushing, but I'm hoping not to. I am considering doing the white winter camouflage job like is depicted on the box, but I don't know how I will mask the hull to do that.

Thanks to whoever pays for and maintains this website, it is proving to be a valuable tool!
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 06:17 PM UTC
Well Gladwell, glad to see you doing well on your Sherman!! How'd you like that play of words!!

Anyway Staff Jim is the owner of this site. He runs a nice site here. Of course there are a number of editors who you can identify by their titles right under their callsign name.

Those who provide financial support sport the A logo (stands for A-Guard as seen in the rainbow over the A) under their callsigns. You can see mine clearly.
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 505 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 06:17 PM UTC
Hey James:
Welcome to Armorama. I know how you feel I too recently got back in to the hobby, and have fallen under it's "trance", great stuff. If your looking for "how tos" you can search through old forums or look at the features part, there's a wealth of valuable info. The gallery has some nice photos to keep you inspired. And if all else fails just ask, you will get some expert advise for different methods.

Regards
Bruce
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 12:28 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama James.

The Sherman M4A3 105 Howitzer builds together very nicely, and I like the fact that it comes with enough bits and figures to equip another one aswel. If you want to do a white wash, you could use salt to mask, or liquid mask, or don't mask at all, which is how I do it. A quick peek at the turret of mine:

Much information can be found in the features like this one
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/100
or in old forum treads. Just do a search.

Any other questions, just ask and with over 6000 members, somebody is bound to come up with the answer..

Enjoy
Henk
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 01:36 AM UTC
James, if you are worried about messing up the paint job, grab an old model and practice on it before hand. I have an old Trumpeter M60A3 that has about 10 coats of camouflage patterns. It only exists to practice new techniques on or to see if the brush is spraying properly.

No need to paint the whole test kit, just a spot here and there.
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
Armorama: 654 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 01:48 AM UTC
James,
Welcome to the site and back to the hobby!
Good to hear that you too have an understanding wife who supports your 'habit.'

Another piece of advice: Easy-Off oven cleaner will strip paint without ruining the plastic (in case you don't have a spare kit to practice on and really screw things up.)

Enjoy!
Gaucho
Visit this Community
Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
KitMaker: 416 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 02:46 AM UTC
I love that kit, perhaps I'll build another one.
Just a suggestion, I got good results with liquid paper to represent snow accumulated.
Please, take a look:

http://www.liliput.com.br/mhgaleria/01sherman.htm

good luck
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 602 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 03:03 AM UTC
Yep I know how that feels too. I just got back within the last year and its become my passion.

I am just finishing up the old Tamiya Walker Bulldog kit. I know its ancient and out dated but I have loved building it.

I did my first bit of scratch building and am really happy with my paint job and weathering. Like you I just love to look at it.

My fiancee thinks I am nuts!!
 _GOTOTOP