Hosted by Darren Baker
My First Tree
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 505 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 06:02 PM UTC
Hey Guys, thanks to GeneralFailure & his wife's Grandma, I've created my first tree. I used the "making trees with wire" method. I figure it's an old mature oak .
What do you think?

Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 06:20 PM UTC
Well thats a super nice try . I like the look of ur tree.Pictures hide some but i think a bit more drybrushing on the trunk of the tree will enhance the overall look. Please let us know what the foliage - leaves materials is , and the method for applying them on the wire armature.

Costas
caanbash
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,093 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 08:24 PM UTC
Very well for first try... Couple of things, thoug:

1. The trunk seems like a spiral too much. It directly gives the observer the secret of building it: Bending wires... In my opinion, a scratchbuilt item has to hide its construction technique, so that make people ask you how you made it. Plus, the curve does not look natural to me. Remedy: I use modelling clay or tile adhesive to cover the trunk when I build trees with wire. Just have a very diluted tile adhesive, almost liquid like water, and dip the trunk in it, let dry, dip it, let dry, dip it let dry, dip it let dry... Until you are satisfied...

2. Not for this tree, but for the trees you may build in the future, consider making the part with the leaves more volumetric. This would enhance the natural look of the overall structure. Remedy: Use longer wires, even add thinner branches after construction. The longer the wires, the more volumetric the tree would be.

3. The foliage looks good to me, but it is everywhere. Leaves grow on thinnest branches on trees growing naturally. So, it is better to glue them on the thinnest and outermost wires of your model.

Do not get me wrong, I like your tree, but I feel it needs improvement and it can be done with small effort. There are many issues to be considered in a model tree, which you have done well, I could only criticize three of these many things.

Keep it up, I would love to see an update on this soon.

Regards.
Cagin.

Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 505 posts
Posted: Friday, December 24, 2004 - 03:28 AM UTC
Thanks for your replies:
I learned alot on this one and will do the next one bigger as I think the scale is alittle small for a majestic oak tree. Costas, the foliage is made using steel wool wrapped onto the end of each branch ( brushed on water down white glue ), leaves are a combination of mint leaves & parsley flakes (dollar store),again brushed on white glue. Cagin, your right I think if I have more wires and smaller clumps of leaves it would inprove the look

cheers
Bruce (:-)
 _GOTOTOP