Photo resource for WWII U.S. vehicles
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2005 - 04:21 PM UTC
Truck lovers:

I stumbled across this resource when I was searching for something else, but I just had to share it with you all. It's the U.S. Army's Army Hertiage Collection OnLine. Here's a link: http://144.99.215.50:8080/site/index.jsp

Click on "Photos: and choose "Browse" to get you started. For our initial purposes, you may to want to choose "Browse ONLY digital photographs by historical period." I selected World War II photos and found 366 hits. The Van Deusen Collection is of particular interest -- lots of truck, trailers, special use vehicles, motorcycles, buses, ambulances ... have fun

They are pdf files, and I don't know yet how to convert them to jpegs, but I can print them out and add them to my reference library.

straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 09:15 AM UTC
That site was real interesting, I never even knew there was such a truck as a Corbitt cargo truck. I thought just the GMC, Stud and a few Chevy's, well Mack of course, but I found out even Reo got into the cargo trucks.

It even looks like they made a tractor to, it didn't show the back end, but it was to short to have anything back there besides the winch, and enough room for a fifth wheel.
Kerry
sas
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 256 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 09:22 AM UTC
Does anyone know how to convert these PDF files to Jpegs?
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 09:43 AM UTC
unfortunately I cannot get in to the site for some reason.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 09:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

but I found out even Reo got into the cargo trucks.

It even looks like they made a tractor to, it didn't show the back end, but it was to short to have anything back there besides the winch, and enough room for a fifth wheel.
Kerry

you mean a REO tractor unit like this Kerry

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 09:58 AM UTC
Nice site... while I coud use it..... for some strange reason, after a while, all I got were blank pages, when I tried additional searches.
Hey Cliff.... nice paint job on that.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 10:18 AM UTC
I keep getting the dreaded 'page cannot be displayed' message - probably too many other armoramatruckaholics trying to view the site!
PDF files are very difficult to convert to jpeg format. I have a program to convert the other way from jpeg to PDF, but it won't go the other way!
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 10:26 AM UTC
Hmmm... I don't have any problems with the pages loading. Must have the right cookies or something

Also, I figured out that if you click "Browse ALL digital documents by collection name" and go to "Van Deusen, Edwin S." you just get Mr. Van Deisen's wonderful collection of vehicle photos.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 12:02 PM UTC

OK hopefully this worked....
I got this from that site Bob.... PDF.....
there's a button there to copy the image to your clip board.
I don't know how to do that..... yeah go ahead and laugh.....
But I clicked it..... then clicked a new folder on my desktop... and pasted it there.... and it came up a bmp..... then I changed it to a jpeg......
Take quite a few steps.... but at least it worked......

I would love to be riding that......
with bad ears..... no balance
bad back..............repaired disks
3 heart surguries......... bulge in front of chest is a hernia, I didn't grow an extra boob....
and now a bum leg........ I could handle that....... really I could...... LOL.... LMAO
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 04:26 AM UTC

OK Number 2:::::

just to bump this up top again.....
So far .... each photo came up with a different format.
this was a GIF.
Lets see if I can remember everything I did to change it from PDF to JPEG.....

1. I copied to clipboard..... I found out "word" works for this..... :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
2. I pasted to word.......
3. I copied from "word" to my desktop.... no folder, just the desktop... it asked me if I wanted image there, I said yes......
after saying yes.... my wallpaper disappered.....
4. It came up as "img...___ icon
5. I opened my photo editor...... mine is an old copy of iPhotoexpress for windows95..... :-) :-) :-) :-)
6. I try to open it, it tells me "Unknown format".... and another window opens..... I find the image on the list, I find the location, and I click scan........ it opens in the photoeditor..... then I click "save as...... and I choose .jpeg.
It now a jepg without a home, so I move it to it's folder.

Some how I think the next one will probably be a different way...... :-) :-) :-) Maybe someone with a little more experience doing this maybe able to come up with a simpler way. Please do share.....LOL :-) :-) :-) :-) But at least I can try to do this a little at a time.
Hiram_Sedai
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 201 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 04:38 AM UTC
Okay, Indiana Jones and Mash?

Am I close?

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 06:55 AM UTC
OK..... getting this down to a science now...... :-) :-) :-) :-)
about 2.5 hours later....... I got the first page of 25 saved as .Jpegs......
taking a break...... hope I don't forget the method.... :-) :-) :-)
but after awhile it was going pretty quickly......
Think I'll go work on good old Willy and Joe for a while....... :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
I also seemed to have avoided needing to change the last 20 to Jpegs..... they came as them
after coping and pasting.....????? oh well.... fun site.... learning more about this computer stuff along the way, everytime I try something new.

I also found out that I needed to change browsers.... I normally use netscape, but
it worked faster, and easier over on IE.
sas
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 256 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 06:30 PM UTC
Dave,I found that running them through Photshop and save as a Jpeg converts them ok,so much so that the size comes out at 1257xwhatever automaticaly.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 07:42 PM UTC
Got this going pretty good.... did the 1st 100 so far, and actually going faster than when I started. Actually it's working out fine, because for me, they seem to be automaticly resizing for what's needed for the site, so it saves me an extra step in resizing them later. Actually I think they are resizing automaticly because I'm saving them at a smaller size to begin with.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 01:42 AM UTC
I spent about a half day trying to save just the trucks that I know I never seen before, Like that Corbitt, cab over Mack, I knew they had them, but not back then.

Well the next day I had computer problems, and couldn't get on line, so I figured I'd admire my new collection of truck pictures until the computer shop showed to fix my computer.

Well everyone was blank just like most of yours, so I went back and deleted every one of them. That was a real heart breaker, I should of checked the first one, before I spent all that time trying to load a dead horse.

Kerry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 02:27 AM UTC
Howdy fellas,

Many thx Hollowpoint for doin' the "stumbling" and finding such a bloody good ref site. There are many excellent photos in those archives besides the trucks and trailers. Photos of all sorts of very useful stuff. A real treasure trove (just like Roo's Archives) of helpful information.

Hopefully our good 'Roo is still reading this thread, as I have a question for him. Whilst perusing all of the great pictures at this site (mostly the VanDuesen collection, thx again Hollowpoint), I saw many, many trucks that I would like to build (just love them variants!). The problem is that there obviously are not any kits available of most of these vehicles, so scratching is the only option. So here's the question to all of you ('Roo, you listening?). How would you go about creating (scratching) the cab section of most of these vehicles?

TIA

Tread.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 02:40 AM UTC
Cliff, I went back and looked again at all them trucks, so I figured I would change this post instead of adding a new one. Most of the trucks in question they are calling Diamond, but this one they state clearly REO, no mention of Diamond in it.

Did they just leave it out, or were they two separate companies back then? Or do you have any idea either. Another one I seen had the initials INT., but a lot of them never even had names to them anyway, but I was wondering, if that could of stood for International, or that name hasn't even came about until way later either.

That did look like a truck I couldn't recognize at all. Of course this site has a lot of great things I've never seen before.
Kerry
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 03:06 AM UTC
OK..... think I actually got this figured out....... :-) :-) :-)
OH.... just noticed the Indy Jones and Mash..... :-) :-) :-)
Actually they were the first two that I managed to convert......and I was excited to post them...... :-) :-) :-)

Things I've learned so far:

1. Can't or won't work using Netscape for some reason..... why I don't know, and really don't care, I guess it just goes back to the old " IE can do some things Netscape can't do... and Netscape can do somethings IE can't do stuff"
2. After the Adobe reader opens.... I first resize there, using it's button marked "fit page". (run your mouse over them to see what each does)
2. On the top there is a camera button....."snapshot tool" I click that. Then click on the image. It turns to a photograghic like negitive, and a popup opens telling me image has been copied to clipboard. I click OK.
3.I now go to "Word" and paste it to a New Document. I then click on it, and get a border around it, I then right click to copy. I then minimize the "Word" and right click on desktop, and paste the image there. A popup comes up telling me I have to save it first, I click yes, another popup tells me it already exist, do I want to copy over it, I say yes. and I get the "save" window for the desktop, it has "save as" The lower file extetion is set for "all files" I click "save" I get the clip_image002 icon.
4. I then open my photo editor.... (see above post on that)....
and crop the excess off, some come up with rather large borders, and lighten to see the details better. (some of these appear rather dark to my old eyes) I resize if needed. I then save the changes, and then need to go back to rename file.
5. I return to my IE with the photo, and copy and paste the sites title to my photo-editor rename file, and save with that name.
6. I then return to desktop, and drag the image to it's proper folder.
7. I return to WORD, and close out that document, it ask if I want to save, I say NO.
*. I do these one at a time, so I don't confuse my senile mind....... and lose track of where I am.

some things I have learned.
1. If it comes up as a "scape", "word" or "txt" on the destop, there is nothing you can do. Just send it to the recycling bin, and go back and start again.
2. ANYTHING you do with the image in Adobe.... and it doesn't work... YOU NEED TO--- either close it out by going back to photo listings, or refresh the page. Once I figured that out, I basicly stopped getting the "scape" "txt" and "word" extentions, and usually came up with the "clip_image".
3. I found that if I don't start with a new document in word for each photo, I also get those extentions that I don't want or can't use.
4. I also found that this takes time.... A. on your connection of course, and B. on your processor, and C. how many programs you have running in the back ground. (seems to suck a lot of resources!) If I try to do things too fast...... or faster than my old computer can process them..... I come up with errors, but by going slowly, and having patience, I moved along nicely. (OK.... sometimes confused.... but not making or getting too many error or wrong file extentions)

I know this is long winded, but it's a new learning experience, and hopefully someone else can follow along. Of course those who know more of computers are probably rolling on the floor on the strange, complicated way I am doing this........ but what the heck.... it's working......

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 06:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hopefully our good 'Roo is still reading this thread, as I have a question for him.

I am and I am also listening to you guys crow about pics I can't see as I can't get into the site (but thanks to Russ (SAS) for emailing them to me.

Quoted Text

The problem is that there obviously are not any kits available of most of these vehicles, so scratching is the only option. So here's the question to all of you ('Roo, you listening?). How would you go about creating (scratching) the cab section of most of these vehicles?

TIA

Tread.

with a lot of time and patience Gordon. Every one is different and this is the problem. Main thing is constructing the cowl and windscreen for those closed cab trucks. I have been using a modified Italeri GMC cowl and windscreen frame and then altering that again with filler etc.

I have learnt though that everything is possible given time and patience.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 11:18 PM UTC
Grumpy, you went through a lot of work, and it should help a lot of people, but somebody like me, that looks like the recipe for, computer pie.

I'm sorry I don't understand one word of it, do you have any big pictures of them trucks, I could copy. Like that Corbitt, or cab over Mack, and some of them other ones that aren't of your run of the mill trucks.

If not I understand to, that was a lot of work, then when I seen them all blank. I'll figure something.
Well I went back and tried again, and it seems to work as long as I'm on line, I will be able to tell you better tomorrow, if it really worked.

Well Dave, I couldn't of asked for any better service. Thank You for your help.
Kerry
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 01:40 AM UTC
All files have now been converted to .JEPGS,
and has been passed on to Cliff, whom I sure will post the file in the proper gallery as soon as he can. I believe they are public domain, so copyright issues should not be a problem.
But I will leave it to higher ups to decide that issue.
(for over overseas readers..... that is called..... "Passing the buck"....... :-) :-) :-) :-) )
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 07:12 PM UTC
Cliff -- are you going to post these or do you want me to?

I suggest we post them as the Van Duesen Collection and tell exactly where we got them ... There shouldn't be a copyright issue because these are part of the public domain, paid for by U.S. taxpayers.

MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 07:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Cliff -- are you going to post these or do you want me to?

I suggest we post them as the Van Duesen Collection and tell exactly where we got them ... There shouldn't be a copyright issue because these are part of the public domain, paid for by U.S. taxpayers.

No there are no copywrite issues. I was eventually going to upload them once I had edited and tidied them up. The problem at the moment is that the gallery needs rearanging and as I am partway though doing it I did not really want more in there to have to shift. Tell you what Bob I will set the album up where it has to go and you (as a photo editor) will be able to get into it to upload them all. I will PM the addy to you.

Cliff
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 06:07 AM UTC
Alright, fellas. They are posted.

Here's a link to the directory: Van Duesen Gallery

Special thanks to Dave (Grumpy) for all his work converting the files from PDFs to JPGs!
 _GOTOTOP